Close

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (2 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The fifth cross member is almost ready; it's not perfect in every aspect, but it reflects the design of the original part. Why almost ready? I have to add and riveting the central support for the gas tank. Next to that, there is one bracket at each chassis end which will get riveted to that fifth cross member. I don't have the exact dimensions for the tank bracket; it will be more or less a guess, allowing to shape the tank "between" the front and rear supports.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-149-cross-ready-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-150-cross-ready-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #287

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The rear tank support is now completed, riveted to the cross member. Now, I will do the small brackets connecting the lower frame rail to the cross member. A picture from a man in the Netherland is showing it.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-151-tank-support-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-arri-re17-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #288

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The small side brackets are now done. I had to do them with 2 parts assembled by silver soldering. For the moment, all is attached to the side rails with screws. When I will assemble definitively the cross members to the rails, the 5th cross member will be attached first, riveted, and then the small brackets will be added and riveted. A different way of assembly would prevent to insert rivets at 4 places.
    I'm going now to the 4th cross member, a simple stamped part just there to support the exhaust tubes and gas tank as I doubt it can add much stability to the frame.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-152-brackets-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #289

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    "A picture is worth a thousand words, -and a model a thousand pictures!" -Harley Earl
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #290

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    More pictures for Don!

The 4th cross member is ready. I could do it in one piece, taking care to not forget the cutout for the rear axle, getting that way enough space between the differential and the cross member.
    Some remarks about that element: the large elements riveted at both ends of the cross member are the supports for the exhaust tubes. Yes, they are rigidly attached to the frame, which was probably usual at that time. The smaller brackets are the ones to attach the fuel tank. I noticed from the pictures that the brackets are indeed done with two pieces of steel. They were probably spot welded together to facilitate the installation. Was it a measure to avoid a sudden dangerous situation in case a bracket made with just one thicker piece of steel would break?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-153-4th-cross-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-154-4th-cross-jpg

What is the continuation? Well, logically I would do the third cross member, but I could do the first one which is rather complicated. Which one would you see now? I'm adding pictures from the first and from the third cross member.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-crossmember-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-crossmember-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #291

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Always fine work Roger!

I do think it is a "guy thing", appreciating a chassis, or other well made, well designed bit of work. Not necessarily the actual chassis, but your work. You work is very much admired!

Pictures are a bonus! Thank you!
    QUOTE QUOTE #292

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Don, your comments are appreciated! You did not respond to my question: first or third cross member? I'll have to do all, it's just to let people have some input!

QUOTE QUOTE #293

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Well? The last shown looks like the Rialto Bridge? Do that one!
    QUOTE QUOTE #294

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Well, Don, thanks for your input. It's the first one from 4 forums!
    I will do first 4 small reinforcements at the back of the frame to let others to wake up!

QUOTE QUOTE #295

10. chepp's Avatar Member
    Name
    Charley
    Yes, make the first crossmember. It's the most difficult of the two.
    Do the best you can with what you've got.
    QUOTE QUOTE #296

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by chepp View Post
    Yes, make the first crossmember. It's the most difficult of the two.
    You are right, Charley! For the moment, the score is 1:1 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine . No answer from the other 3 forums!

QUOTE QUOTE #297

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    As I wanted to let some time for the people decide if I should do now the first or the third cross member, I was not inactive: I did the small reinforcements for the rubber bumper over the rear axle and the one for the shock absorbers which are the lever type of course.
    From the 4 forums I'm publishing this build, only 3 people told me what they would like to see, one for the front crossmember and two for the third one. Therefore, the third one is now in the work.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-155-reinforcements-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #298

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    That third cross member seems easy to do, but it has also his difficulties. For once, I did a scale drawing, scale 1:6 to understand the upper stamping. When the drawing was more or less similar to the various pictures, I continue that project with the die set for the upper end stampings. A good picture from an original frame will avoid tedious explanation. Than the picture of my drawing and the die set at the left (I did only the half to simplify), the part as stamped, but not yet ready and a stamped sample.
    I'm still unsure how to do the lower part…

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-chassis-drive-train-16-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-156-third-cross-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #299

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    To continue with the lower part from the third cross member, I assembled temporarily the trimmed upper part on the frame. I added a flange at the cross member as it's riveted at the upper, lower and at the sides of the frame rails, 10 rivets each side!

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-157-third-cross-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #300

15. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Hello Roger. Very instructive. Thanks for sharing the pics. Regards Markus
    QUOTE QUOTE #301