Close

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18
      Builder Last Online: Apr 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (2 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello, the "American" systems of screw designations is "Screwy"

The first number is screw size, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, 1, 0, 00 , 000, 0000, and the second number is the pitch count per inch. There are coarse and fine threads available in each size. and of course left hand threads if needed. Double threads, Acme threads, . . . Oh! I forgot the fractional threads, 1/4-20, 1/2-18, . . . It's a mess.

Where I work we try our hardest to standardize our hardware on projects, METRIC, but some customers, some designers, and the occasional engineer still spec. "Imperial" or SAE hardware. (Society of Automotive Engineers)

Feel sorry for the aircraft mechanic I knew from Pakistan, who had Soviet, French, American and English aircraft to service!
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #257

2. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Feel sorry for the aircraft mechanic I knew from Pakistan, who had Soviet, French, American and English aircraft to service![/QUOTE]

You have just reminded me that fitting equipment into "old" British aircraft (I think that the BAe 146 was the last) we had metric heads on BSF bolts, e.g a 3/8"BSF thread had a 10mm head, as all the new equipment to fit into the aircraft was metric.
    There is a particular UK radar in Chinese built MIG 21s that's pressurised. As usual, we fitted a standard Schrader valve for pressurisation (as fitted to aircraft tyres etc. world wide). It has a 3/8 BSF thread (pipe). Except that the Chinese are totally metric, so instead of tapping a 3/8BSF thread into the radar case we had to use M8. Schrader very kindly produced the first ever tyre valves with a metric thread. And you wonder why aircraft coffee pots are so expensive....
    QUOTE QUOTE #258

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Don, I could read myself that the first number is the size. But what is the diameter? what means 2 or 000 and so on? which is the relation to the inch?
    The logic behind the metric system is that all dimensions are given in the same method, no matter if very small or huge. But you know that!
    You are citing aircraft, but it was the same in Europe when a mechanics had to deal with vehicles from England, from the continent and from the US. There were too few vehicles from the Soviet paradise to reach our countries; I assume they were using the metric system as the court during the tsars spoke French! Regarding this supposition, I may be wrong and it would not be the first time.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
    QUOTE QUOTE #259

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    No one is mentioning Bugatti? Mr. Bugatti made his own screws and bolts. 7mm and 9mm with some pitch of his own choosing. Square heads were the standard.

Back to modeling, California is closed. Only "essential" businesses are open. Which include hardware stores. Which have Propane, and Mapp torches, and of course gases. -if, Roger, you are not able to refill your bottle, will that stop you from soldering, or do you have a plan "B"?
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 04-06-20 at 05:07 AM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #260