Close

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (2 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 3
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    (Guessing here)(Timidly) Unbalanced weight distribution? -some wacky torque compensation?
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #242

2. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Did cars built for export to drive-on-the-left countries have the opposite arrangement?
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #243

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    @ Don: unfortunately no.

@ Buck: There was a specific part number for the LH drive frame and RH drive frame.
    I suppose that cars for LH drive had the opposite arrangement, which would be logical.

QUOTE QUOTE #244

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks for you both who tried to find the reason behind that difference:
    In the Cadillac world, this arrangement was called "steering modulator", with following explanation: The steering modulator is designed to prevent shimmy and steering wheel whip. To accomplish this, the front shackle of the left front spring floats between two pairs of stiff coil springs. With this arrangement, the modulator springs absorb the road shocks which may otherwise be transmitted to the steering wheel.

If the system was functioning as intended is a question I cannot answer. This was eliminated when the independent front suspension was introduced. I'm adding a picture of the system used by Cadillac.
    From another forum, it seems that similar systems were used on other brands.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-avant-gauche-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #245

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger, thank you for explaining this design, how heavy were these cars?
    QUOTE QUOTE #246

6. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    The steering modulator might be a way of compensating for road camber, to keep the car from wandering "down hill" away from the center of the road. Different frame numbers for opposite side driving supports this conjecture. Luxurious engineering.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #247

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The weight? I don't know! Probably around 2500 kg curb weight.

@ Buck: the explanation about the steering modulator was copied from the shop manual. I assume that they know what they wrote!

QUOTE QUOTE #248

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    When something must go wrong, it does it! That almost insignificant mobile element from the "modulator" was intended to be done is so few parts as possible and, of course so little silver soldering as possible, especially due to the fact that my gas bottle is almost empty. The new one should arrive next week, but our post system is surcharged by on-line orders.
    What went wrong? A lot of bad reasoning, too much milling at the wrong place. All that required adding small elements on a part which had "consumed" already some work' hours. Finally that stupid part could be assembled temporarily on the frame with 4 springs (rather weak for the moment). The empty holes on the sides are for screws which should locate the solid axles. They will be added during the final assembly.

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-127-modulator-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-128-modulator-jpg1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine-129-modulator-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #249

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    A very interesting detail. I read that the '32 Cadillacs were the first to not have that front cross member that was so common on all chassis up till then.

-Again a very interesting detail.
    QUOTE QUOTE #250

10. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Don!
    For what I can see in the '30 to '31 shop manual, there was already a front crossmember, rather narrow. For 1932 and 33, that front crossmember was extended on the sides towards the rear of the frame to add some stiffness. I have too few knowledge how the frames from other brands were made at that time.

QUOTE QUOTE #251

11. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Roger great work on the small details. Just out of curiosity what size are the bolts you are using?
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #252

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Ken! The bolts on the last picture are M 1.00. The bolts which will be used to clamp the suspension shafts will be M 0.8. I'm only using metric bolts and nuts.
    In the US, you have a different system for small bolts which is maybe an heritage from England; a folk who like complex and hardly logical systems!

QUOTE QUOTE #253

13. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Roger, yes I use both systems, the smallest Metric I have used is .5mm. As for England now you know why it is an island.
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #254

14. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Not so much English heritage: before metrication most small threads in the UK were either BA (British Association) or Whitworth (e.g. the small Pocher threads are 1/16 Whitworth).
    The US devised thir own cunning system (AF or American Fine)? and gave us yet another alternative with 1-72 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine , 0-80 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine , 00-90 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine and 000-120 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine . I tend to try to use metric but otherwise it's anything I can find with a hex head...
    QUOTE QUOTE #255

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Well Jo, it was a pure speculation from me, without any background! The US system is still a mystery to me; without a chart I have no clue what a diameter 1 , 0, 00 or 000 does mean.
    There are some stores in Europe which are offering metric bolts with the hex head plus I have the metric taps for that, therefore I'm not searching further.

QUOTE QUOTE #256