Close

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Apr 2020 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (2 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 07-26-19 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built

Before the Mark II was finished, I was thinking that I need some rest and maybe stopping modeling completely.
      After a few months "without", I noticed that I'm missing something. But, what to do? A new 10-years project is out of question, I need something less complex.
      After a while, it was clear that I had to do something with Cadillac. But what? The answer came rather quickly: a 1930 to 1933 Cadillac V-16 engine and frame, as a rolling frame.
      I have some contacts with people restoring the second version: 1932/33 which differs framewise from the first version 1930/31.
      I will have to do new things, like wire wheels! I searched in this forum for a tutorial, but found nothing. However , I do remember that somebody did recently (1 to 2 years) wire wheels. Can somebody tell me where to search?

1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. PROPELLER's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Dan
    Thanks Roger, not so bad.
    Another question: toes are genuine?

Dan.
    QUOTE QUOTE #137

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Had not noticed the digits!😀😀😀
    QUOTE QUOTE #138

3. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    At fist, when I was there, I thought it was black. But when the sunshine hit some elements, I saw that it was a very dark green. I assume it's the customer's choice. My frame will not be like that. But which color? It's totally open. Probably not metallic 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine as I believe that kind of paint came some years later.
    By the way, did you know that Cadillac cars from 1932 had adjustable shock absorbers? The shop manual is not very detailed nor has a good system's description. If I'm right, there were 5 possibilities which could be set from the driver's seat. All four shock absorbers were connected with rods, adding the complexity to that frame. As you see, it was not an invention from recent years.

QUOTE QUOTE #139

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by PROPELLER View Post
    Another question: toes are genuine?
    They don't belong to the car, they are mine! It was the sole possibility to have a decent picture from above for that complex system. As it was warm, I had no socks and removed the shoes to avoid damage to the frame and exhaust!

QUOTE QUOTE #140

5. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Zimmermann View Post
    Probably not metallic 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine as I believe that kind of paint came some years later.
    According to a recent article in Octane, a 1932 Rolls Royce had Metallic 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine paint created with finely ground herring scales in a lacquer 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine coat ��
    QUOTE QUOTE #141

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Just now, I saw that Packard used a metallic 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine paint in 1935. To get the metallic 1:12 1932 Cadillac V-16 frame and engine effect on that Rolls, an incredible number of herrings was needed, which was not practical for vehicles produced in some quantities.
    A 1932 Cadillac V-16 would be in the same price category as the Rolls but I don't know if GM even had the idea to used such a paint!

QUOTE QUOTE #142

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    The rear brakes are now ready; they are similar to the front ones. The support plate has another shape due to the differences between front and rear axle. I can continue with the differential; there are 4 flanches to do: 2 which will be part of the diff body, one for the cover and the last one for the differential carrier or pumpkin.

QUOTE QUOTE #143

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Very nice Roger, -do you roll your own springs? -or do you have a source for such small ones?

An aside to unusual materials used on cars; a friend of mine has been a guru of car upholstery for 30 years, ‘Little John’, told me that the most unusual and expensive material he has ever used was FROG SKINS!

The skins I believe came from the Goliath Frogs of Africa. Each hide had to be trimmed and sewn together to make usable pieces.
    QUOTE QUOTE #144

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks Don! I'm rolling the springs myself; sometimes a hit and miss matter! The ones for the brakes are rolled on a 0.8mm steel wire; the outside diameter of the spring is here 1.3mm. The wire itself has a 0.2mm diameter.
    Frog skin? Very unusual indeed!

QUOTE QUOTE #145

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Sorry!

Can’t let this go. . . .

Why Roger are you using ‘feet’ I thought you worked in metric!😊
    QUOTE QUOTE #146

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Too easy, but good anyway!

QUOTE QUOTE #147

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Even if I'm shaping metal since years, sometimes I'm too optimistic. As the weather was mild recently, I went to my store room/garage to shape a piece of wood on which I would "stamp" the rear axle halves like the original part.

I cut a piece of brass 0.5mm thick, annealed it and began to bang and bend it. Well, the metal did not respond like I wanted; the end result was just good for the trash as you will see on the picture.

I had to think how to continue it; from 2 possible options, I choose the one which I will have to silver solder the flancs in the middle. The last picture is where I'm now.

Of course, with a right die set, the pressing would have been possible. However, for that kind of metal forming, the wood is way too soft.

QUOTE QUOTE #148

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Wine crate wood?
    QUOTE QUOTE #149

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    No, not this time! Maybe from a broomstick as it was round...

QUOTE QUOTE #150

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Both rear axle halves are ready to get silver soldered together. They are far from pretty, some cosmetic improvement is in order!
    On the original car, both halves are electric welded and the welding is quite apparent. How would you reproduce that?

Pictures will come later, I'm unable to upload them now, the system is not responding.

QUOTE QUOTE #151