Close

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/4 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 1
      Started: 08-14-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built

It is not my intent to start this "New" project right away,(I have as of yet to put two Model A parts together) but in collecting references I noticed a detail I thought I should share.

I do not know if this is unique or if it is a feature common to all the 8C engine blocks? -The hollow access on the underside of the motor mounts that extend to the chassis rails?

ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I was tonight trying to determine how the super-charger is mounted? Is there an attachment point on the crank-case wall? Or a "shelf" of sorts? I had not realized until I started to look for it, but none of the views that I've collected so far, showed this area. And just now as I was looking into something else, did I find this picture posted up-side down!

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 05-20-18 at 05:55 PM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #62

2. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Interesting point. From a design point of view, the generator needs support because there's a flexible coupling between it and it's drive shaft. However the blower is rigidly bolted to the gear extension on the block, and is a substantial casting ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE . I haven't seen any evidence of support...
    Likewise with the oil/water pump combination, although it is long compared to it's diameter. Perhaps the rubber water pipes at the unsupported end (the water pump) damp down any movement?
    QUOTE QUOTE #63

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hi Jo!

Just the guy I wanted to talk to! Jumping around a bit, I was looking at the head-lamp lenses, and I was wondering if the "U" pattern of the optic is on the "A" side of the lens, and if the vertical fluting were on the inside of the lens? (the "B" side) -or if they are a pattern in the reflector?

Now, back to my latest post. -I am satisfied enough to start making patterns, to either cast in resin ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE or aluminum. Making the patterns and judging they're visual "correctness" will help me draw some general arrangement plans. - and who knows, with something to show for my efforts, maybe I could then approach someone for a few dimensions, -then start all over to make everything correctly!!

The photograph is of a REN-like material, (REN BOARD), which is the material of choice when making patterns. It has no grain, is pretty stable, glues together very well, basically anything that you would want to do to a pattern of wood or wax, or metal, you can do easier with Ren Board.

This is actually several pieces glued together with "super glue". And all the dimensioning was done on a table saw. A little work with some sand ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE paper on a flat bench top, and I'm ready to move on to the next step.

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 06-03-18 at 03:00 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #64

4. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Headlamp lenses, in my experience, are always smooth on the outside - like obscure glass in house windows. Otherwise all the dirt builds up in the crevices.
    QUOTE QUOTE #65

5. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Take a look at Roger Zimmermanns build, he did the lenses casting ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE perfect.
    QUOTE QUOTE #66

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Jo - This is sort of a side-show, as I am not interested in making 1/4th scale Alfa headlamp lenses, but it is this picture that makes me think that the "U" pattern might be on the front surface, and the vertical flutes on the inside? (I have worked on many prototype headlamps that actually had a lot of the pattern incorporated in the reflector)

Egon, one of my very first posts to this forum was to show what I had done in making lenses the way shown by Roger. As I had stated at that time, I had been thinking to do the press patterns in graphite, pressing glass, but had decided to try it Roger's way instead. Making my own press patterns and after some experimenting pressing a few lenses.

QUOTE QUOTE #67

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    -A lot of experimenting! Heating in my oven around 300' F. Pressure was adjustable but done by trial and error with a small "C" clamp. Missing from these patterns is all the script which would be engraved in reverse on the "A" side of the lens. I have cobbled together a pantograph to do this, but I'm on to other things right now.

- and again, I bow to the gentleman from Switzerland. Thank you Roger for all that you have shown and shared! -Don

Post Script: For anyone wondering why bother? -Yes! this could have very easily been made using half round plastic strips or brass, and a RTV ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE mold made, then casting ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE in a clear resin ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE . But, I was originally thinking of stamping the whole thing in glass, and this was a satisfying diversion. -I am also very concerned about the archival qualities of most plastics? Especially casting ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE resins. Some museums, (Smithsonian, and the Getty) are beginning to see detrimental effects on other items displayed next to plastics, and may have to isolate plastic objects from others. It seems that some plastics contain in their own make-up the elements of their own destruction.

Of the plastics that so far seem safe, acrylic ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE sheet, block, seem stable, but styrene ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE , and PVC, and polyester are of concern. Especially PVC. -And many casting ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE resins, even the "Water-Clear" will yellow when exposed to sunlight, for some length. Acrylic ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE does not.

The jury is still out on the various forms of "Rapid-Prototyped" media, FDM is the most commonly available media, and no one knows yet how it will hold up. SLS, laser sintered materials, depends on the material, the powdered metals should do fine, the plastics remain an unknown. SLA are probably to be avoided if longevity is a concern. Remember that these processes are called rapid PROTOTYPING ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE for a reason. The intent was at first to make prototypes. SLA objects, especially the early stuff, is brittle and thin sections can deform over time, unless you can insulate it from gravity.

Vinyl, Latex, and neoprene, are the most likely to deteriorate in the short term. (years) I have seen Latex molds die in just a few years, neoprene doesn't like air, or sun-light, and I had some vinyl gaskets that liquefied in the presence of what-ever gas they fume apartment buildings with?

I'm sorry! I do go on . . .

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 05-22-18 at 05:34 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #68

8. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    I'm looking for someone that can do the engraving on my RR brass plates.
    Attached Images Attached Images ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE-plader-jpg  ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE-2715577-steering-wheel-rolls-phantom-0-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #69

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Egon!

That looks like an job for photo-etching. Though the letters are only slightly curved in parallel to the edge, that would have to be duplicated in the pattern that an engraver would use. The various scales / sizes of font can be accounted for by changing the positions of the pantographs arms, . . .

In any event, I am not able to help, I am not set up to do any work of that sort, and would probably do a poor job of it. I would not take on any work that I could not do my best at, especially not for a friend.

What are the relative sizes? Unfortunately you need to etch away the letters, rather than having a raised letter. Using dry-transfers you can make the raised type.

I just checked my handy McMaster-Carr catalog, and they sell individual stamps, or sets down to 1/32" in height.

There is also a place called MICRO-STAMP, they also offer very small sets and make custom stamps.

McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com

MicroStamp http://www.microstampusa.com

Using stamps, you would have to set up a way of indexing them as the part is struck, and you would probably want to do this on a full sheet, before trimming to size. -that will prevent deforming the edge.

I hope this helps! -Don

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 05-22-18 at 04:34 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #70

10. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Thanks Don, I never thought of small stamps, that will need a very precise set up and the 1/32 is 0,7 mm high, I think it's to high, the big lower plate is 15 mm wide, I can't even see the printed letters on a white paper without a magnifying glass, so I won't do it, to expencive.
    QUOTE QUOTE #71

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post
    Thank you Roger for all that you have shown and shared!
    I'm glad you could used my approach to do the lenses, they are looking good!
    QUOTE QUOTE #72

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    -was really hoping to have done more today. -"baby steps"

QUOTE QUOTE #73

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    It seems that you are well equipped to work on wood. It looks good!
    QUOTE QUOTE #74

14. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello Roger!

I like very much working in wood, and (aluminum), but this is neither. It is a synthetic material, I think urethane ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE , developed for making patterns instead of wood. It is available in many different densities and most are intended to be used in specific applications; auto-clave, vacuum-bagging, bladder pressing, some are hi-temp. some make useful ballast.

Also, this is my 1/4th scale pattern, the modifications to the Pocher model are not very pretty. The plastic they use is very soft! Probably have to seal the surface with "super-glue" to get a fair finish?

How are you doing? No volcanoes in Switzerland? I hope!

-Don

QUOTE QUOTE #75

15. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by MODEL A MODEL View Post

How are you doing? No volcanoes in Switzerland? I hope!

-Don
    Well, thanks! This afternoon, I will finish the third Hydramatic overhaul. No volcanoes in Switzerland, we are lucky!
    QUOTE QUOTE #76