Close

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/4 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 1
      Started: 08-14-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built

It is not my intent to start this "New" project right away,(I have as of yet to put two Model A parts together) but in collecting references I noticed a detail I thought I should share.

I do not know if this is unique or if it is a feature common to all the 8C engine blocks? -The hollow access on the underside of the motor mounts that extend to the chassis rails?

ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

-craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    It is my, or was my hope to figure out how the belly plate, and engine blocks, valve covers, . . . were cast, that I might duplicate them as they were actually made, I have done some casting ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE in aluminum, brass, and a few other metals, in sand ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE , shell and investment, and not to 'Fabricate" them. I thought that the Pocher kit would render up some useful clues. (I bought a used engine!) -but? I see now that there will be no quick way to make my model of a model.

I think that I shall indeed have to go to the drawing board first!

Draw up some working drawings before I rush to make patterns!

These photos were taken as references, off a video generously produced by Mr. Leno, and I have posted them here as references for the sole purpose that we shall make better models. Please check out JAY LENO's GARAGE! He really is THE ENTHUSIAST!!!! And if this is ever brought to his attention?

THANK YOU Mr. LENO!!!!! -Don

QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello! I've been very busy at my "Day" job, and a few other distractions, but I hope to make some progress for the next few weeks. Always primary is to have a working plan. I have satisfied myself that there are more than just a few issues with the Pocher kit, and I have also satisfied myself that by using two views of the engine, found in the book ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 by Angela Cherrett, and posted by David Cowin (thank you!), I can at least get the relative proportions of the engine, correct to themselves. -And- Not having any dimensions, I'll have to accept a doubling of those on the Pocher kit, were I find that they are the same as my "guess-timate", to proceed with my 1/4th scale patterns, then parts, then model.

QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    I did also find an additional source of info on the engine blocks at GARAGISTA.com when they visited jswl.co.uk
    (Who are casting ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE new engine blocks and other components!)

But you'll have to look for yourself. . . . I'm not at all sure what can be re-posted and what can't? -Don

QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    HELP!

To all of the 8C builders out there? -I've been trying to make some basic work drawings of the engine, using two cross sectional drawings that I trust for relative scale, but. . . the Pocher model has a few . . . issues.

I was anxious to do some casting ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE , so I started to look at the pan first (pretty easy to duplicate) as my base line for scaling the rest of the engine. I doubled its size and then enlarged and reduced prints of the cross-sections to match.

With everything lining up, the belly pan, and the transmission bell, are of relative scale to each other, as are the various heights of the engine blocks. But not the lengths! The cross section of the valve covers match, but not the length?

Then I thought that the people of Pocher would certainly have had an easier time of measuring the valve cover, easier than measuring the oil pan, so I paused to try to rescale everything with that assumption, however, the engine cross sections, and valve cover cross section, (L/R) are the problem.

So? Then I thought that the easiest measurement might be the chassis rail height?

. . . Do any of you gentlemen have any dimension of this engine? One will do.

Or failing that, could someone please tell me what the height of your models' chassis is, and I'll figure out the rest.

Thank you in advance! -Don

QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Have you tryed search blueprints of the car .
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Here's the pocher chassis depth

ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE-img_2673-jpg
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Thanks! Its back to the drawing board for me!! -Don

QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    OK! Its been a long day! (And maybe I have too many projects going on at once . . . ) -I did remember that I DID have a complete chassis drawing, again from the book by Angelea Cherrett, its everything I wanted, except legible. If you know what the numbers are, they can sort-of be made out, and again that same book does list quite a few dimensions. -And when I scaled that drawing up to 1/8th, (based on wheel-base) the rail dimension given by Jo, is very close to what I got. -But now I'm finding more issues!

I think I need to sleep on it, and maybe in a day or two I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong?

QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don

QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. David Cowin's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    I've been checking through various 8C 2300 drawings and have been unable to find one that will confirm the dimensions. The drawing I'm posting here (taken, I believe, many years ago from Peter Hull's book Alfa Romeo) allows you to compare the distance between the crankshaft centreline and the chassis rail with the diameter of the flange of the clutch bell-housing. This can then be compared with the flange diameter on the cross-section of the engine. Not precise but a useful check.ALFA ROMEO 8C 2300 ENGINE MODEL - 1/4th SCALE-alfa-romeo-8c-2300-jpg
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello David!

Yes! Thank you! This is very useful! And isn't it surprising that we can't find dimensions on these drawings? -So I will be able to get everything in proportion but I will not know the scale?

The Angela Cherrett book, has the two cross sections through the engine but no dimensions, and it also offers up the chassis, a very nice set of drawings, but the dimension are illegible! That same book does have all the usual dimensions listed, so scaling those drawings, and trusting your section, and the one previous, I can probably determine the engines' relative sizes. And I think that for now, that this will have to be good enough!

One could contact the Centro Documentazione Alfa Romeo, and maybe I'll try that, after I've drawn up "my" plans. -I'm thinking that someday I'll have these drawings and THEN, I'll attach the correct dimensions to them, with the note that these drawings are not to scale. (unless they are)

As an aside many years ago I went through this very same process to draw up the Bugatti type 53 chassis, and one month after I had satisfied myself that I had got it as good as I could, I found a drawing of the chassis printed in a Bugantics magazine from the 60's! all the dimensions, and to my delight my drawings were pretty darn good! They were off in only one area, under the fuel tank! -I was very pleased and anguished!!!

Thank you again! -Don

QUOTE QUOTE #31