Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-08-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

In March of 2009 I started design and construction of my 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza. In May of that year, I posted my first pictures of the piece. And now finally, after nearly 19 months of work, IT'S DONE.

This is The Satin Doll's little sister and her name is

[B]il Zaffiro Belleza - The Sapphire Beauty[/B]

Build Photos

It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-00-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-01-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-02-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-03-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-04-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-05-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-06-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-07-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-08-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-09-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-10-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-11-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-12-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-13-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-14-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-15-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-16-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-17-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-18-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-19-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-20-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-21-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-22-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-23-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-24-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-25-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-26-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-27-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-28-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Good Gravy, Andy, you're not supposed to put real cars on the site and call them models. Wha?? It's not real?!?!?! You sure?? 1/8th scale?? I stand here totally humbled and speechless.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    I promise you it's a model HFC. A real car would have taken half as long to complete and would not have been this difficult to build!

It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza
    Last edited by Andym; 11-08-10 at 11:58 AM.
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    (especially xken who seems to think I made the whole thing up).
    Andy, Great job! I love all the detailing that you have done; and yes I really knew that there was a build going on. Looking forward to seeing the beauty shots.;';;';

Have a great day! Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Thanks Ken. Actualy, after Glenmoor, I came up with a new tag line... "Maybe I'll bring my Alfa" has become my answer to just about all questions. Nobody knows what the heck i'm talking about, but it makes me and Terri smile.

Last edited by Andym; 11-08-10 at 01:42 PM.
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Brizio's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Brizio
    Great job!!! Love it!
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. WOW I'm speechless Andy well done , another show winner no matter where it goes.

Sean
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    A MASTER PIECE ...that is all I can say Andy
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Quote Originally Posted by Andym View Post
    I promise you it's a model HFC. A real car would have taken half as long to complete and would not have been this difficult to build!
    Now that I can believe. Besides the parts on the real thing usually fit better out of the box.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Outstanding.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Mr Casual's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Michael
    Excellent work, just brilliant mate.
    Michael.
    Living the life on the left coast of the big island down under.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. bills69camaro's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    bill
    EXCELLENT WORK! I'm lost for words, just great!

Bill
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. ERA Chas's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Chas
    Superb work Andy. If I may ask, what did you use for the obvious extensive reference material to allow for harnesses, brackets, plumbing It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza , safety wire and all that detail? Did you have access to an actual car?
    I'll bet the 19 months was 12 months of reference!
    Chas
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Chas -

The 19 months was after about 2 years of research. I'm embarrassed to admit that it took me 19 months to build il Zaffiro Belleza. My primary sources of reference material were the Alfa Romeo Factory specs along with the actual Monza that was undergoing a full, body-off restoration. I also had access to half a dozen other 8C2300's and 2600's that I photographed at various Concours and historic races around North America. I worked off of about 2500 photographs along with measurements and specifications that I took and recorded over a two year period.

Keeping in mind that no two of these cars were identical (especially the race cars which were wrecked and repaired repeatedly), I used design cues and sytling elements from a number of 8C's. For example, the electrical wiring looms were from one car (a Touring) but the dash board supports to the firewall were from a different car (the Monza). My main guiding principle was that if I saw it on an 8C and it was run that way before WWII, I figured I could use it and still claim historical accuracy. I saw a number of elements on various 8C2300's that were done during the course of incorrect restorations in the 70's and tried to stay away from those designs. And when in doubt, I used Simon Moore's Alfa 8C books as reference material also.

Finally there were a few things I just had to make up like the muffler supports on the passenger side. As I never saw a raw chassis that did [I]not [/I]have a body but [I]did[/I] have a muffler installed, I used my imagination based on how the muffler was mounted onto the Alfa racing bodies and fabricated supports that would do the job but not attract too much attention.

And in terms of historical accuracy, I should point out that the red and black cloth wires that I'm using as battery cables are actualy the headlight wires from the actual 8C Monza. I recovered this wire at Laguna Seca in 2003 and held onto it for 6 years knowing that some day I was going to build this model.

Now by now I'm sure you're thinking "this guy has WAY too much time on his hands". So I'll just go ahead and let you know that YES - I'm divorced and NO - I don't have any friends or social life to speak of.

Last edited by Andym; 11-10-10 at 04:49 PM.
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Have I mentioned how much I love the way you did the body as a separate display. The aluminum supports were genius.

Now about that wire. Need any more? Ive got about 150 feet Ive had in the shop for over a decade. I never knew where it came from but always new I wouldnt find any more of it so Ive held onto it. Circa 1930's to 1940's.
    Attached Images Attached Images It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-dsc00003-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-dsc00004-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #15