Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 11-08-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

In March of 2009 I started design and construction of my 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza. In May of that year, I posted my first pictures of the piece. And now finally, after nearly 19 months of work, IT'S DONE.

This is The Satin Doll's little sister and her name is

[B]il Zaffiro Belleza - The Sapphire Beauty[/B]

It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza

Build Photos

It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-00-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-01-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-02-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-03-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-04-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-05-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-06-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-07-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-08-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-09-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-10-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-11-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-12-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-13-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-14-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-15-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-16-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-17-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-18-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-19-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-20-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-21-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-22-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-23-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-24-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-25-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-26-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-27-jpg  It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza-28-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    how the heck did you end up with 150 feet of that stuff? I was in the pits at Laguna Seca in '03 between the morning warm-ups and the afternoon races when they ripped out about 10 feet of wire off an 8C and threw it away and I was thrilled when they retrieved it out of the trash and gave it to me.

What you need to do is run and ad in Hemmings saying that you've got this spool of wire and you'd be interested in having someone attach an Alfa Romeo to it!

When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. ERA Chas's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Chas
    Quote Originally Posted by Andym View Post
    Now by now I'm sure you're thinking "this guy has WAY too much time on his hands". So I'll just go ahead and let you know that YES - I'm divorced and NO - I don't have any friends or social life to speak of.
    Not in the least. More like 'I wish I did what he did'.

Thank you for a detailed and fascinating answer to my question. I knew this work didn't come from a few web images and an Alfa book.

That's all some of us are capable of generating and it shows as a less than diligent model. I built the Grand Sport in '81 with zero reference other than a few grainy magazine articles. Result? A nice shiny red Alfa, neatly constructed, out of box. I conjured up a veneer dash-not the height of accuracy.

Keep posting your work-it's surely instructional for hackers like me. Stress the reference you use. Preferably, post WIP It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza stuff-I know it will be long time between posts-it will be worth it. I consider your work just below Propeller and Wingrove-like totally fabricated stuff.

And you DO have friends-on here.
    Chas
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Chas - if you were able to turn the contents of a Pocher box into a nice shiny, neatly constructed model then you are hardly a hacker. Turning pocher parts into models is only slightly more difficult than turning O.J. Simpson into a vocal advocate for Women's rights and gun control.

Andy.

[/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. ERA Chas's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Chas
    Chas - if you were able to turn the contents of a Pocher box into a nice shiny, neatly constructed model then you are hardly a hacker. Turning pocher parts into models is only slightly more difficult than turning O.J. Simpson into a vocal advocate for Women's rights and gun control.

Andy.

Thank you-let's just agree my work pales compared to yours...
    I feel a model can only be as good as:
    A. It's reference.
    THEN B. It's builder.
    So does this mean you will continue to post work and reference??
    Chas
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMotorcars View Post
    Have I mentioned how much I love the way you did the body as a separate display. The aluminum supports were genius.

Now about that wire. Need any more? Ive got about 150 feet Ive had in the shop for over a decade. I never knew where it came from but always new I wouldnt find any more of it so Ive held onto it. Circa 1930's to 1940's.
    Scale - According to my sources, that wire is common on everything from an Alfa race car to a Delage touring car. It was pretty much used for the electrical system on most Italian, French and German cars from the mid twenties through the late 40's. I've got pictures of it in the engine bay of Alfas, a Mercedes 540K and any number of Delage, Delahaye and Talbot Lago automobiles.

Hold onto that my friend - it could be worth a bloody fortune!

[/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Turning pocher parts into models is only slightly more difficult than turning O.J. Simpson into a vocal advocate for Women's rights and gun control.

Andy.
    As Larry the Cable Guy would say.

"[I]Now that's funny[/I] right there, I don't care who you are. That there is [I]funny[/I]"
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Scale - According to my sources, that wire is common on everything from an Alfa race car to a Delage touring car. It was pretty much used for the electrical system on most Italian, French and German cars from the mid twenties through the late 40's. I've got pictures of it in the engine bay of Alfas, a Mercedes 540K and any number of Delage, Delahaye and Talbot Lago automobiles.

Hold onto that my friend - it could be worth a bloody fortune!
    Ive got 3 spools all about the same size. Who knows maybe an add in Hemmings is a good ideal. It might pay for that Pocher Bugatti Ive always wanted.

Ok, ok maybe not that realistic but I can dream cant I......
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. PROPELLER's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Dan
    Andym, I'm speechless...
    Congratulations!
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Thanks Propeller. I appreciate it.

[/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. winglock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Wolfgang
    Hi Andy, I just looked at your beautiful pictures and absolutely perfect work!
    I think this is one of the best models in 1/8scale I have seen. I wish I could see this model in real.
    With kind regards
    Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Dell
    Am Alten Berg 9
    73277 Owen-Teck
    Germany
    Mail: wolfgang@dell-knives.de
    Page: www.dell-knives.de
    Subpage:
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Thanks for the kind words Wolfgang.

Last edited by Andym; 11-19-10 at 04:08 PM.
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    HOLY MOLY!!! Andy, that is just totally wild! Unbelievable! but seeing is believing Like Wolfgang, I also wish I could see it for real. Well done mate.
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    If any of you attend any of the IPMS It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza shows in the east, the Alfa will be there. Her next big show is the IPMS It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza Regionals in Pittsburgh, PA in February. She's also scheduled to attend shows in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana and Ohio. I also hope to take her south to a show in Atlanta later in 2011.

Her last show will be The 2011 Glenmoor Gathering next year with her big sister - The Satin Doll.

Right now I'm finishing the build with a second display engine. As the engine in the chassis is largely hidden by the frame rails, radiator and firewall, i've decided to build a second engine that will sit on its own pedastal so the entire power plant can be seen. While the chassis engine has a Coffee Can Coil start and LeMans (side) exhaust, this second engine is going to feature a Magneto start with a road car (under chassis) exhaust.

I'm also building a second body as the paint on the one she has now is just not what it needs to be. While Grand Prix race cars of the early thirties were not known for their "showroom" paint jobs, IPMS It's finally done! The Sapphire Beauty 1932 Alfa Romeo 8C2300 Monza judges don't really care and they're looking for something in which they can see their reflections.

I'm hoping to have the second engine and new body ready for display by February 2011.

[/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMotorcars View Post
    Have I mentioned how much I love the way you did the body as a separate display. The aluminum supports were genius.

Now about that wire. Need any more? Ive got about 150 feet Ive had in the shop for over a decade. I never knew where it came from but always new I wouldnt find any more of it so Ive held onto it. Circa 1930's to 1940's.
    Andy, did you get the wire? I'm curious how close it was to the original...
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    I'm sorry SMC I didn't get back to you sooner. It's darn near exact. What you sent had a slightly (and I mean VERY slightly) larger diameter, but the material used and central core were identical.

I'm taking it to a restorer next week when I go to the garage (he does pre-WWII Rolls-Royce and Bentley) to see if he can give me a better idea of what it is, where it came from and how old it may be.

[/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #31