Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      Builder Last Online: Apr 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 02-10-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

Long time ago, in the late 1970s I bought the Pocher Fiat F2. I remember how disappointed I was about the quality. I resolved to improve the model, but soon found out that that was an impossible undertaking. In the eraly eigties I travelled to Turin, which is a convenient 600 kms from my place. I was allowed by a kind museum warden to take pictures of the original Fiat F2 in the Museum Carlo Biscaretti di Ruffia (you find these pictures in the SMC Gallery).

But I never got round to actually building the car, three kids, wife, job demanded most of my time. Five years ago I finally retired and turned to modelling again.

I started with the engine. In 1984 I was on a trip to the UK and visited Beaulieu Museum. The librarian supplied two photocopies of the 1905 100hp engine, which is almost identical with the 1907 130 hp (see Gallery).

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-bild0001-jpg

As you can see, polystyrene Yet another Fiat 130 hp sheet is the material I deemed easiest to work.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-bild0002-kopie-jpg

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-bild0005-jpg

From the start I intended to install an electric motor and make all parts movable. A resolution that caused multiple problems but they were worth the result. It turned out that one motor alone was not realy suitable. so I decide to use two gear head motors, each with a maximum 500 rpm at six volts.
      One turns the crankshaft cog wheel, the other the flywheel. The cog wheel is module .3.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-bild0009-jpg

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-bild0011-jpg

The two cog wheels on the camshaft nearly drove me crazy. Hours and hours at the mill, several wheels ruined before I was successful. The smallerwheel drives the magneto. It sits on a protruding axle stub of the bigger wheel, around which it can turn. The first cam can be seen on the shaft. It is fixed by a stud screw. Just behind the camshaft wheel there is a grooved ring that slides lengthwise on the shaft. Two bars soldered into the shaft that engage into correspoding grooves in the ring ensure that it can't rotate on the shaft. Through two diagonal slits it turns the smaller cogwheel a few degrees when moved forward or backward. This was the advance/retard mechanism of the magneto.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-bild0015-jpg

All wheels mounted. Not perfect, but they will hardly be seen on the car.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_00021-6-jpg
      To enable to correct the mesh of the wheels the bearing ot the camshaft has a bore that is slightly off centre. So by turning you adjust the mesh.

So far for today. More will follow soon.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. koehlerkment's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Klaus
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp
    The oil tank behind the engine was pretty straightforward. The pictures need no explaining.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0064-jpg
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0066-jpg
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0068-jpg
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0069-jpg
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0061-jpg
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2210012-jpg
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2210021-jpg

Yet another Fiat 130 hp
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. koehlerkment's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Klaus
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp
    The carburettor as it is on the car today is not the original one. In the late 1980s I purchased a blueprint copy from the Archivio Storico Turin which bears the caption "Carburateur - Voiture de Course 1907". The picture doesn't show all of the caption, and I don't have the copy any more. I gave it back to the Archivio during my last visit in 2015. The curator, a very kindly and helpful man, was sorry to tell me that all the blueprints on the 130hp 1907 race car had disappeared during the move from the old archive in a factory building to the present building. By the way, you can still have copies of blueprints of other cars at the horrifying price of 30 each.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img024-jpg

Regrettably there was only the side view, no plan view.

Research on the net and in the book "Le grandi Fiat" (a terrific source) showed that on the rear side a tube was fixed that led to the exhaust to preheat the induction air. A kind of metal hull led the air along the exhaust tube.

Here is an example of air preheating on a 1905 Fiat.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-ill59-jpg

Two more pictures of a similar carb, this time from a Mercedes.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-_1469658864_resized_mercedes_carburetor_1905_era_a-jpgYet another Fiat 130 hp-_1469658876_resized_mercedes_carburetor_1905_era_b-jpg

A period picture of a 1905 100hp car raced in the Vanderbilt Cup shoes a similaly shaped carb, called "box carb".

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-top-720_edited-1-jpg

Yet another (1907?) Vanderbilt Fiat racer showing the preheater tube between the exhaust tubes.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-cyclo3-jpg

So I sized down the measures to 1/8 and this is the result:

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p3010110-jpg

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p3010122-jpg

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p3010115-jpg

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p3010120-jpg

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2110002-jpg

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2110001-jpg

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2110003-jpg

There are 62 parts that make up the carb.

Hope you enjoy my work.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp
    Attached Images Attached Images Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p3010113-jpg 
    Last edited by koehlerkment; 03-19-17 at 03:52 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Looking perfect there, very nice
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. koehlerkment's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Klaus
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp
    Thank you, Egon.

I've come to the conclusion that the flat iron crossmembers underneath the engine were added at a later time. Probably the chassis weakened through prolonged rough handling. The engine does not reinforce the chassis, as it is simply bolted on on top of the side member fitttings. I've made up my mind to do without the tachometer and the tach drive from the water pump shaft. Considering the rough tracks, the tach needle would most probably have swung wildly. What's more, I think a 1907 race car driver judged the revs by ear.

The water pump itself was a fairly easy thing to make, yet the first version had too big a diameter, so the shaft was not parallel to the engine.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2210014-jpg

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2210013-jpg
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2210016-jpg

The shaft and cog wheel. The wheel runs in a roller bearing that is clamped in the support.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0017-jpg
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0018-jpg

On the shaft I have added a device which looks like a governor, but isn't.

The first encounter with this thing was in the Fiat 100 hp blueprint in "Le grandi Fiat". The print is rather soiled, so at first I had no idea what it meant.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p3200079-jpg

Obviously it was part of the water pump shaft, and acted upon the carb lever. Then I came across a picture in the net that shows the 1908 race engine. And there it was again, this time wonderfully clear.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-unbenannt-jpg

In a contemporary article I read that the device automatically pulled back the carb lever in case of a broken return spring, and also returned the carb to idling faster when the gas pedal was released.

This little thing almost drove me nuts.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2150004-jpg
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2150001-jpg
    I was luck to be able to buy the 2 mm brass balls already drilled through.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2160106-jpg

The left side will be fixed to the shaft, the two studs on the right will engage in oblong holes in the carb lever. The ring with the studs rotates on the hollow axle. The bolts are .8 mm.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2160108-jpg

On the right, the first version; it was too large and struck the sump. There were first and second and third versions quite often during the build.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2160109-jpg

So far for today. Hope you enjoy my report.

Sorry, the picture underneath somehow got there as an attachment. I haven't found out yet how to delete it.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp
    Attached Images Attached Images Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p2010003-jpg 
    Last edited by koehlerkment; 03-20-17 at 03:53 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Very nice, clean work! Your work researching is just as important. -Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Nice parts; you are lucky to find clear drawings, they help a lot.
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. koehlerkment's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Klaus
    Thank you, gentlemen. A praise from superior craftsmen like you is an incentive.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. koehlerkment's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Klaus
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp
    Sorry for the long absence. Spring is here and that means loads of gardening, plus a deklightful week on Lake Garda.

The following pictures show the magneto. Bit fiddly work, but straightforward.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p3230154-jpgYet another Fiat 130 hp-p3230155-jpgYet another Fiat 130 hp-p3230156-jpg

The flywheel was a different kind of challenge. It's made of aluminum to reduce the strain on the electric motor shaft and the gears.

The outer diameter is rather larger than the Pocher part.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0008-jpg

Top right is the flange that is fixed to the motor shaft. I bored up the rear part to 2.2 mm, leaving the front part 2 mm to fit the motor shaft tightly. Three 1.8 mm holes were drilled into the tube and 2 mm threads added. With the three stud screws the whole assembly can be centered. The flywheel center is bolted onto the flange with again three screws.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0015-jpg

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0176-jpg

The first tries to turn the blades down to the required diameter were unsuccessful. I had glued them into the notches of the centerpiece, and they constantly popped out when the chisel hit them. Fixing them with a wire proved the right thing to do.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0178-jpg

Test run and centering.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0181-jpg

I fixed the blades to the outer ring using araldite freely and filing and sanding Yet another Fiat 130 hp it down. The blade angle is not perfect, but I'll leave it at that. Anyway, it works.

The clutch was a series of trial and error. This explains the chaos of holes in the centerpiece. In the center itself there is the guide bearing for the clutch shaft.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0005-jpg

The clutch cage is somewhat longer than it should be. It is screwed to the centerpiece with three bolts.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0006-jpg

Two guides on the inner wall.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0009-jpg

The pressure plate.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0010-jpg

The shaft.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0011-jpg
    and the leatherlined clutch disk.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0013-jpg

The housing for the thrust bearing.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0014-jpg

Exploded view of the parts. Note the short but powerful spring.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0007-jpg

Again the same picture as further above. The thrust bearing comes handy.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-img_0008-jpg

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p4190001-jpg
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p4190002-jpg
    Even though all the parts were turned, the wheel runs a bit wobbly. But I managed to adjust it so that the center runs perfect.

That's it for today. Hope you'll enjoy it.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. koehlerkment's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Klaus
    Here's a short video showing the flywheel working.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Very Cool!
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. koehlerkment's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Klaus
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp
    I'm glad you like it.

The cooling system was yet another feature where I doubted whether the one as it is on the car today existed in 1907. The way the tubes enter the water jackets seems kind of provisional.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-pict0016-jpg

And i often wondered why on the exhaust side the water jackets have flanges that are blocked.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-pict0057-jpg

The solution was a picture on the Internet showing Louis Chevrolet in his 1905 Fiat that he wrecked in the Vanderbilt Cup race the same year. (He looks as if he was sport of proud of having wrecked the car and getting away without injuries.)

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-vanderbilt-cup-1905-louis-chevrolet-jpg

This layout of the coolant pipes seems more convincing and I decided to adopt it in my engine.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p4250008-jpg

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p4250009-jpg

A central pipe from the water pump feeds the T-connection.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p4250012-jpg
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p4250014-jpg

After many tries with cable insulation that just didn't look right I finally made use of styrene Yet another Fiat 130 hp tube that I sprayed with a paint mix that more or less looks like red rubber.

For the hose clamps I found a picture that looked good to me.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp-hoseclamp-jpg

Again many tries before I managed.

I have a stock of extremely small cotter pins that are nowhere to be found any more. the fixture(?) is made of brass strip .2 mm thick and 2 mm wide. The band is .1 mm thick and .8 mm wide. Great stuff they sell these days.
    Yet another Fiat 130 hp-p4240005-jpg

Moans, curses, creeping on the floor to find parts gone astray, a headband with magnifying lenses, shaky hands, strained eyes and finally a broad smile. That's what makes modeling so rewarding.

So far for today. Hope you enjoy.

Yet another Fiat 130 hp
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Very Very Cool! I would not have believed those "Cotter pin" clamps if you had not shown the one. Learned something new! -I wonder how well they worked?

Your making it all work! It all looks very real. -Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. koehlerkment's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Klaus
    Thanks, Don. The cotter pin hose clamps were probably not ideal, as pressure arond the hose was surely more limited than with newer clamps. The longer I work on the car, the more I enjoy building it. I'm looking forward to (and I'm a little bit afraid of) building the gear box, which I hope to make functional with four forward speeds and reverse. One of these days ....

Yet another Fiat 130 hp
    QUOTE QUOTE #29