Close

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 121314151617
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (2 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 3
      Started: 01-08-17 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Restoration

Hi gentlemen!
      A come back... First, many thanks to ThierryD, who inspired me with his gorgeous "resurection"...It's time to me to restore and convert my old T50 to a T46 Surprofilée. Why? I do love the sensual lines and the single overhead camshaft motor of this beauty ...

Well, found in my barn:

Yes, some work are needed...
      Let's go!

First, the front axle, the unique Bugatti front axle.
      In a bad shape now, but...

Revisited!

Parts , on the left Pocher, the rest mine, after some work on lathe, milling machine, and so one, and some hours of course...

Welcome Bugatti lovers!
      "Vive la marque"

Thanks for looking,
      Dan.

BUGATTI T46 Surprofilée 1/8
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. PROPELLER's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Dan
    Before painting the wings for the first coat, which I hope this time successful (!), I had to take care of the protective strips, molded at Pocher, eliminated by me.
    I thought of a walk ... It's a nightmare!
    Trials of several techniques, here is the best rendering, but I will have to add a median fixation, which does not exist in reality, but I do not want to have to stick on the beautiful_ I hope_ painting! All this to get regular intervals ...

Dan.

QUOTE QUOTE #242

2. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Yep, a difficult task! I don't know which material you used for the strips; how to glue them on a transparent self adhesive foil and glue the assembly on the painted fenders?
    QUOTE QUOTE #243

3. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    How about making small holes in size of the strip and make the strip a bit longer than the holes distance, and they will bend, then 10sec. superglue.

I have also seen some that make a round rod molding with holes in the end, and make grooves in the fender so only the half of the round molding showes. You can make several pegs along the molding to keep it down in the groove.
    QUOTE QUOTE #244

4. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Yesterday, I wanted t suggest another method, but something got in between and I forgot...Have some double sided adhesive tape, first on the strips (some trimming of the tape will be needed), apply the first one at the proper location, use a strip of whatever you want as a spacer to apply the second one, use that spacer for the third one and so on.
    QUOTE QUOTE #245

5. Haddewade's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    then 10sec. superglue.
    I won't recommend using superglue, that stuff gives almost always a haze on a painted surface.

I would solder ore glue bolts (3 ore 4) on the underside of the strips, poke a hole thrue the fender and with threaded inserts bolt the strips on. That's how i think original done also. U can prepare it all before painting.
    QUOTE QUOTE #246

6. Richard Bartrop's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Richard
    I've had good luck with 5 minute epoxy BUGATTI T46 Surprofilée 1/8 . It doesn't attack styrene BUGATTI T46 Surprofilée 1/8 or the model paints I use, and you do have a little time to position things. Alternatively, make a set of grooves that are ever so slightly undersize, and go with a press fit?
    QUOTE QUOTE #247

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bartrop View Post
    Alternatively, make a set of grooves that are ever so slightly undersize, and go with a press fit?
    How would you make grooves straight and equally spaced on that set of fenders?
    QUOTE QUOTE #248

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    POcher
    If you want to try the recessed groove idea, you could cut/mill your slots all the way through and then glue on a backing plate on the under-side?

Make a fixture of "Bondo" or a body filler, to support the fender at the correct attitude while allowing your cutter to pass through the plastic fender.

Your "strips" would now have the benefit of being part thickness plus however much you want them to be above the surface. -a little less delicate, and the "groove" offers a place to contain your epoxy BUGATTI T46 Surprofilée 1/8 . With the precaution of drilling small holes to allow excess glue to drip down and out
    while placing your strips.

What material do you want to use to make the strips? Solder is very formable , and pewter?
    my two cents?

Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 01-13-18 at 04:40 AM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #249