Close

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 4
      Started: 10-25-16 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

Hi Folks
      I have recently found Scale Motorcars and what a great site it is with many fantastic builds, really quite inspirational.
      I thought I would post some photos of a build I am currently undertaking based upon the Pocher 1/8 scale kit of the Fiat F2 racer. At the moment I am unsure of whether to try and do a complete scratch build Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build? or not (some parts look very difficult). So far I have made the chassis, axles and some of the bodywork. Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-fiat002-jpg

The completed chassis members

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_5674-jpg
      Front Axle
      Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_5690-jpg
      I am currently working on the bonnet which is proving rather more difficult than I imagined. Once this is completed I would like to scratch build Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build? the radiator, I should be able to do the brass work but I don't know how to do the grill and any advice would be gratefully received.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Hi and wellcome.
    There are only few that made the Fiat, as I can see in search, but your work looks very fine so far.
    http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...fiat+f-2+racer

There are shops that sell brass mesh, search and you will find
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. sjordan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Skip
    Amco makes a variety of metal mesh pattern styles and sizes for multiple craft uses. Just Google them.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    Great thanks both for the info, the Fiat on the forum looks great. Regarding the mesh unfortunately I am in the UK so something nearer to home would be better. I have found a few suppliers but nothing that looks really convincing it needs to be a very small square mesh.

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    Chassis Fabrication
    These are some construction shots showing how I fabricated the chassis. I am really a beginner at this so there may be better ways of fabricating this.

The chassis has been soft soldered and the engineering clamps act as a heat sink preventing previous soldering melting.

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_5676-jpg

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_5677-jpg

In this shot I am soldering the front suspension mounting bushes to the chassis.
    Fixing both sides at the same time ensured decent alignment. Once soldered I then cut the bushes to the correct size.
    Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_5670-jpg
    More brackets being soldered to chassis.
    Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_5672-jpg
    Chassis nearing completion, front damper mounting still to be fitted.

Milling the cut out where the front damper is mounted.
    Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_5675-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    Rear Axle Construction
    I am fortunate to have a milling machine and decided to mill the rear axle from the solid.

I started by chain drilling the brass and then milling the relief into the axle.

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_5678-jpg

Drilling the mounting hole for the stub axle which was a simple turning exercise followed by a thread cut with a die.

Stub axles mounted (soldered on) and awaiting final polish. Its not perfect but looks ok on the car.

QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    Front Axle Construction
    The front axle is much more complex that the rear and the only way I could think of producing it was to fabricate it in much the same way as the chassis.
    The shot here shows the nearly finished article. It was tricky soldering the mounting points for the stub axel as they were so small and had a habit of moving when I applied heat.

The next task was the stub axle. I started by turning and cross drilling a round piece of brass. Then I cut across the middle of the hole in preperatio for soldering the mounting bush.

The vertical boss was silver soldered and then the other smaller one was soft soldered.

The finished axle complete with the Pocher hub caps.

QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Kit
    Pocher
    Amazing work ! I would like solder half as well as you or Markus68 or Roger Zimmerman !
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    Rear Bulk Head/Dash

To form the brass I intially made a wooden blank and then bent the brass round the blank. It took a few annealing as there are a few complex bends and the brass work hardend.

Soldering the base

Trial mount on chassis with oak planks.

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    Seat Mount
    Basic components soft soldered together.

Awaiting clean up and cutting to size.

Slightly out of sequence but drilling the rivet holes.

Attached Images Attached Images Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_5748-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    AHA, a full load of tools and machines and perhaps some other gadgets are you a pro builder sneaking in ???
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    I wished I was. The mill was bought off ebay 10 years ago and the lathe an old Colchester.

QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Great brass work! Nice to see another builder stepping to the dark-side and scratch building with brass. Keep up the great work and I will follow along on your progress.
    "In wine there is wisdom. In beer there is strength. In water there is bacteria."
    Ken

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Great work. I'd say do a complete scratchbuild. It appears you have a good start on it already and some of the parts that you have posted look plenty difficult to make.

When I did my first scratchbuild in brass, I started with the hardest part that I thought was going to give me the most trouble (the two wheels) and that is what I built first. I figured if I got the hardest part figured out, the rest would be easy. The wheels were actually the second hardest. The toughest part to make was the main hitch. Took me 7 tries to get it right. Only took 2 on the wheels :)

Anyway....your work looks stunningly perfect.

Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    Thanks for your comment. I am not sure the soldering is that good, I keep using too much and then spend hours trying to remove it. The secret is definitely in preparation and then just use a real small amount.
    graham

QUOTE QUOTE #15