Close

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build? Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build? Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build? Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build? Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?
Accepted Payment Types

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 4
      Started: 10-25-16 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Attribution Scratch Built Build in Progress

Hi Folks
      I have recently found Scale Motorcars and what a great site it is with many fantastic builds, really quite inspirational.
      I thought I would post some photos of a build I am currently undertaking based upon the Pocher 1/8 scale kit of the Fiat F2 racer. At the moment I am unsure of whether to try and do a complete scratch build Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build? or not (some parts look very difficult). So far I have made the chassis, axles and some of the bodywork. Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-fiat002-jpg

The completed chassis members

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_5674-jpg
      Front Axle
      Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_5690-jpg
      I am currently working on the bonnet which is proving rather more difficult than I imagined. Once this is completed I would like to scratch build Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build? the radiator, I should be able to do the brass work but I don't know how to do the grill and any advice would be gratefully received.

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Your work is good looking! Sure, 1:8 scale is less delicate than 1:12, but what I saw until now is well done!
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Pouln's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Poul
    Stunning work so far. you could have fooled me when you stated that this is your first scratch build Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build? . Lots of details on what you have built now.
    Greetings,

Poul
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    Thanks Poulin This is the first car, but I have built was a beam engine from castings. But I think that was easy compared to cars.
    Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-ka4a6138-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    I have made some progress on the bonnet or hood as the Americans would call it. I wanted to create a fully opening hood similar to the real car and with a bit more detail around two of the the cowls.

To make the hinge I silver soldered a thin brass tube to the plate. And then milled away the spaces.

I offset the two parts of the bonnet so I could mill both at the same time.

QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    The next step was to make the louvers. I have no means of pressing them so each were cut shaped and then soft soldered to the bonnet.

To make the small cowl and flange I turned the cowl body, made a washer cut the latter in half and soldered it to the body.

Attached Images Attached Images Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6450-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    There is still a fair bit more work to get the fit correct but I thought I would do a trial on the car.

QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Nice work! I like the numerous rivets from hood.
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    Having completed the bonnet/hood I have made a start on the radiator. I produced an oak former and then bent the brass around that.

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6463-jpg

Here soldering the outer strip. The inner brass strip was silver soldered and the outer soft soldered.
    Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6464-jpg

Shell prior to clean up
    Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6465-jpg

Initial clean up

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6467-jpg

Balanced on chassis.

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6466-jpg
    This shot also shows the starting handle shaft, bracket and support arrangement.

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6468-jpg
    Still to make the mounting brackets but I have managed to find a supplier of some square mesh so hopefully in a few days I can complete the radiator.

QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Dougritt's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Douglas
    Beautiful!
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Kit
    Pocher
    Absolutely wonderful !
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    Guys, thanks for your kind comments they are appreciated.
    The mesh for the radiator grill arrived and it looks pretty good, square holes (20 to the inch) and fairly strong. I think once painted it will look convincing.

I started to shape the mesh by first reducing the size of the wooden former to accommodate the thickness of the mesh. Then made another one the same size clamped the two together with the mesh in the middle and gently bent it over the former.
    Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6469-jpg

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6470-jpg
    Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6471-jpg
    Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6472-jpg
    Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6473-jpg

I wanted to try and simulate the effect of the radiator core and as I had some thin brass shim I had a go at folding it to form a concertina.

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6475-jpg

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6477-jpg
    Not perfect but once the mesh is installed it does not look too bad.
    I made and fitted some brackets to the side of the radiator and then drilled some mounting bolts on the underside to keep things stable.
    Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6478-jpg

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6480-jpg
    Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6479-jpg

Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6481-jpg

At the moment the mesh is not fixed in place and I am not sure how to do it. Should I attempt to glue it and if so with what, any ideas would be gratefully received.

Attached Images Attached Images Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-img_6474-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    If the mesh is stainless steel I'd advise against trying to solder it directly. I have been down that route... you need a 55% silver solder and special flux to solder steel to brass, and it needs a lot of heat. I ended up with burnt mesh, the thin wire melts in the heat.
    How about soft soldering some brass tags inside the radiator shell that grip the mesh?
    Last edited by Jo NZ; 11-19-16 at 05:08 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Shed Man's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Graham
    Jo
    Thanks for this, I think you are right, I would have a lot of difficulty if I tried to solder the mesh directly not only is the mesh difficult to solder but the majority of the construction is with soft solder so I could not use silver solder at this stage. I think your suggestion of some small tags is the way to go.
    Thanks
    Graham

QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Beautiful work. I like it. Markus
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. David Cowin's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    David
    I've followed other Pocher Fiat threads as well as this impressive scratchbuild which I couldn't hope to emulate. It's an opportunity to offer a detail of a 1905 120hp Fiat racer which appears in the Automotor Journal 1906:
    Fiat F-2 Racer 1907 Scratch Build?-fiat-120hp-1905-jpg
    There are also photo of both sides of the engine but I seem unable to post these at present.
    QUOTE QUOTE #31