Close

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31
    1. Kit: Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville, by (Yearly Subscriber) ThierryD86 is online now
      Builder Last Online: Jan 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 6
      Started: 09-10-16 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Includes Transkit Restoration Attribution
      Build in Progress

Hello

As I said in my introduction on this forum, 26 years have passed since I've begun the assembly of this precious and rare model, and 24 since I abandonned it on the shelf, gathering dust and rust.
      Recently, I woke up, and decided to re-start it, and, if possible, achieve it.
      I disassembled entirely the model and began this resurrection !

Actually, "she" is in this state:
      - Chassis with frame rails, brakes, fuel tank, rear and front axle assembled
      - engine with many extra details ( according to the reference photos of Paul Koo's DVD and other found on the net, particularly on gallery section of Tthis website), mounted on the chassis with B002 Engine mount of MCM (Thanks Marvin )
      - Steering box installed with personal and extra detailing.
      - Engine mounted on the frame.
      - Extra detailed firewall achieved and mounted
      - Radiator with some improvements mounted too

I've added or am going to doit, numerous parts or advanced features as:
      - Speedometer cable
      - Tachometer cable
      - Functional linkage of accelerator Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection.
      working on carburetors and supercharger
      And many others...

As much as possible, I used bolts instead of screws, and, where not, I painted the screws in black, to hide them.
      The chassis was painted with automotive black primer Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. , which gave it a softly grained aspect.
      For all the engine parts, I used Alclad Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. metal paints with my airbrush Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. , and here and there, tamiya Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. paints with a soft or a dry brush.
      Many details are scratched with aluminium sheet (0.3 mm thickness), Styrène sheet and rods, brass or copper or alu tubes and rods (from 0.3 mm to 2 mm) , micro bolts and threaded rod, micro washers, destroyed watch parts or photo-etched parts(engine cam covers, photo-etched grill for the radiator), thanks to Ebay
      Several parts have been modified when necessary, especially to make them closer to the real ones.

And now, some overviews of the model, in its actual state....more detailed photos of the step by step building to go later if anybody is interested

Ps: I didn't found the way to put an explicit picture of my building before the title of the thread.. So, if anyone could help me...

Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection.

Build Photos

Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection.-chargement-jpg  Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection.-k84-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Of course i like.
    QUOTE QUOTE #452

2. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Evening, Chaps
    First of all, a Happy New Year 2019 for all of you, your friends and your families
    I've not been very present on the forum, and even less on my own thread these last weeks .
    And I want to apologize for that, because I've only read some threads without entering any discussion .

The truth is that I've suffered a severe pathology since several weeks : a few days after I went back home from Canada, I've had what I thought to be a right renal colic, as in June and July.
    Things appeared to be back in order, when I have had 2 or 3 recurrences.
    Last but not least I began to feel a bit worried, and had some radiological examinations..... and the verdict was devastating: I hadn't a renal colic but an artery dissection on the right external iliac artery.
    The surgeon wasn't very enthusiastic to the idea of operating me, thinking that the arterial injury could auto-repair itself as time goes by.But the disease's evolution, with permanent pain and disability, and the risk of further deterioration, have finally convinced him to make something.I've had to wait 2 long weeks, once the decision was made, before going on the operating table, because of Christmas and New Year holidays, and need for ordering a special endoprothesis.

That has been made last Friday and I've had a covered stent (8 mm diameter over 85 mm long) implanted in my external iliac artery.
    I feel better now, and the greatest danger is over, but I'm extremely tired, both physically and mentally, and I'm absolutely unable to return to my workbench at the moment.
    I need time to recover my strength and my mind.

But be sure that I'm not going to abandon my work on this precious "LadyBug".
    I'm quite able to entertain on Fusion 360 and think to solutions for several construction problems such as actuating brakes, exhaust pipes, dashboard, and I look at 3D printers with interest etc.

So, I hope you won't be too eager to see any progress on my build.

Many thanks to all of you for your advices, comments, critics and kind support.

Stay tuned if you like

Last edited by ThierryD86; 01-06-19 at 06:14 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #453

3. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville
    ​Eager to hear that you are on the mend, and pain free.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #454

4. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    That sound very seriously all these medical words, hope you will be well soon, you have to, now that your looking at 3d printers and you got time to study now.
    QUOTE QUOTE #455

5. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Oh boy! When the health is compromised, almost nothing more is going. I wish you a quick recovery.
    QUOTE QUOTE #456

6. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Thanks a lot, my friends :)

QUOTE QUOTE #457

7. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Good evening chaps

I've begun to work on the Fusion 360's project of a new brake axis which incorporate an elliptic section.
    This elliptic section will act, as on the Pocher part, as a cam whose function is to spread the brake jaws when the brake lever of a drum is pulled backward (or forward fir the rear brake) by the brake cables.

Hereunder several pictures of my fusion project.
    At resting state, the gray (steel) rod will be pulled backward by a spring, and this mechanism (thanks to PROPELLER) will pull forward the brake lever on the drum, providing a good tensioning of the brake cables.
    If the "driver/modeller" press down the brake pedal, the brake lever will be pulled backward, the gray rod will move forward, enlarging the spring, and when the modeler will release the brake pedal, the spring will compress, pulling backward the rod and forward the brake lever.
    The two jaws of the bake drum will be joined, as on the Pocher system, by a spring which ensure the jaws will get closer when the brake pedal is released.
    This mechanism hasn't be tested yet, only in my mind, but I think I've found the way to create it.

Unfortunately, my CNC Mill isn't five axis, and it's actually impossible for me to machine this part in a simple and single way
    So, starting with a 8mm brass rod, using the lathe and the CNC milling machine, I've at the moment got the following part, which has to be considered as a rough draft, and on which a lot of work remains to do (groove at the outer end, hole and rod at the inner end), before it gets its final shape:

Stay tuned if you like, and thanks for watching

QUOTE QUOTE #458

8. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Nice!
    I don't really want to go into CNC, I can never the less see the value of virtual modelling.
    You make it sound easy?
    QUOTE QUOTE #459

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    This is the way those mechanical brakes were done at that time. Very crude, probably not so effective. In a forward motion, only the front segment (or shoe) is self energized, the rear segment is doing almost nothing for the brake action; it will be self energize by braking in reverse.
    Frankly, for that simple element, a computer design is overkill! It could have had more sense to determine the overall shape of the cam, taking in account the drum and free play of the shoes!
    Sorry if I'm somewhat rude, as somebody else told me: no matter the technical help, at the end the one steering the tools or pushing the file IS what's count!
    QUOTE QUOTE #460

10. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Zimmermann View Post
    Frankly, for that simple element, a computer design is overkill! It could have had more sense to determine the overall shape of the cam, taking in account the drum and free play of the shoes!
    Sorry if I'm somewhat rude, as somebody else told me: no matter the technical help, at the end the one steering the tools or pushing the file IS what's count!
    You're absolutely right, Roger
    In fact, I wanted to train with Fusion 360, for further usage, and I decided to design this brake axis as a school exercise, in order to familiarize with the software
    I've not use the Fusion file to machine this part. But the design helped me to get a better idea of its different sections.
    No offense at all with your critics :)

QUOTE QUOTE #461

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    OK, as a training, I understand your action. If you can master easy elements, you can go on things which are more complex.
    It's also a matter of education or, a better word, the profession: I went for 4 years in a mechanic school; the design of parts or assemblies was part of that education. However, don't think I'm doing right the first time all my parts: sometimes, the design/thinking is wrong and a visual aid as you have can avoid it.
    I can imagine now in the same school, the teaching must be totally different with aids or systems similar to what you have. Remember, I began this school 58 years ago!
    QUOTE QUOTE #462

12. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Have you ever tried to explain what the skills are that make a modeler? Or the diverse tool sets? Some of us are wood-workers, metal smiths, machinists, painters. Doing research and being self-taught about almost everything! So many things to know, so many distractions. Knowledge of clays and waxes, woods, plastics, plaster, and metals. Fabricating, soldering, turning, spinning, stamping, pressing, punching Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. , casting Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. and molding. Knowledge of materials, and techniques.

Its a lot!

And of course, computers, and CAD, and CNC. Scanning and printing, too!

Many of us are trying new techniques, and the only way to really learn, is to do the work! Sometimes its a joy, sometimes its necessary, and sometimes,
    boring. (Spokes, Radiator cells, Hub-cap fins! . . . ) You have to start somewhere!

The British magazine, MODEL ENGINEER, is currently running a series of articles, trying to introduce it's readers to ALIBRE ATOM 3D, it looks to be similar to FUSION 360.

I just haven't made the time for it. -But I love seeing what you guys are making! You and Roy.
    QUOTE QUOTE #463

13. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Well, Don, in the industry each has his own specialty. Some are panel beater, some are painters, machinist, etc. Don't ask a panel beater to do the upholstery!
    In scale modelling, one has to master (or at least to try) all those vastly different techniques. Something to think about!
    QUOTE QUOTE #464

14. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Thierry,

I have to agree with Roger. We are modelers, we can do anything! Certainly you and a few others can do anything you set your minds to do. Me? I'm still learning, and making mistakes, lots of mistakes! I make more mistakes than anyone I know!

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #465

15. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Not only you, Don, unfortunately. But we learn more and more thanks to our mistakes...

QUOTE QUOTE #466