Close

Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection.
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection.
Accepted Payment Types

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    1. Kit: Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville, by (Yearly Subscriber) ThierryD86 is offline
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 6
      Started: 09-10-16 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Includes Transkit Restoration Attribution
      Build in Progress

Hello

As I said in my introduction on this forum, 26 years have passed since I've begun the assembly of this precious and rare model, and 24 since I abandonned it on the shelf, gathering dust and rust.
      Recently, I woke up, and decided to re-start it, and, if possible, achieve it.
      I disassembled entirely the model and began this resurrection !

Actually, "she" is in this state:
      - Chassis with frame rails, brakes, fuel tank, rear and front axle assembled
      - engine with many extra details ( according to the reference photos of Paul Koo's DVD and other found on the net, particularly on gallery section of Tthis website), mounted on the chassis with B002 Engine mount of MCM (Thanks Marvin )
      - Steering box installed with personal and extra detailing.
      - Engine mounted on the frame.
      - Extra detailed firewall achieved and mounted
      - Radiator with some improvements mounted too

I've added or am going to doit, numerous parts or advanced features as:
      - Speedometer cable
      - Tachometer cable
      - Functional linkage of accelerator Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection.
      working on carburetors and supercharger
      And many others...

As much as possible, I used bolts instead of screws, and, where not, I painted the screws in black, to hide them.
      The chassis was painted with automotive black primer Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. , which gave it a softly grained aspect.
      For all the engine parts, I used Alclad Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. metal paints with my airbrush Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. , and here and there, tamiya Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. paints with a soft or a dry brush.
      Many details are scratched with aluminium sheet (0.3 mm thickness), Styrène sheet and rods, brass or copper or alu tubes and rods (from 0.3 mm to 2 mm) , micro bolts and threaded rod, micro washers, destroyed watch parts or photo-etched parts(engine cam covers, photo-etched grill for the radiator), thanks to Ebay
      Several parts have been modified when necessary, especially to make them closer to the real ones.

And now, some overviews of the model, in its actual state....more detailed photos of the step by step building to go later if anybody is interested

Ps: I didn't found the way to put an explicit picture of my building before the title of the thread.. So, if anyone could help me...

Build Photos

Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection.-chargement-jpg  Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection.-k84-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. sjordan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Skip
    Question about the Scintilla magneto. Most of the photos I've seen show that the white dots around the face are little windows with the firing order numbers inside. Is this what you're replicating?
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Yes Sjordan....hum, I tried to....of course, at this scale, I was unable to write real numbers... lack of skill of a newbie in modelling

QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Here are two of the latest improvements on my Bug:

[B]1/ Radiator mounted on the frame and connected[/B] to water manifold and water pump

It was very difficult to bolt the radiator on the frame rails, because the nuts that are prisoners at the bottom of the two plastic panels of the radiator never wanted to align correctly with the bolts whose thread always slipped without gripping the f...diabolical nut.
    It took me more than two hours to achieve this painful job and I thought I was going mad !

Taking in account the advice of Paul Koo's DVD, I have previously enlarged the holes of the frame rails that are crossed by these bolts, to enable repositioning slightly the radiator, backward or forward, when presenting later the hood and it's side panels.

It should also point out that it's not easy to place the radiator with just enough clearance with the fan, in order this one can turn freely. It's necessary for that, to adjust precisely the tightness of the two bolts, which will be diffeent between right and left. Eventually, it's possible to cheat a bit, reducing the length of the fan blades of a few tenth of millimeters (I didn't make that choice....)

Photo-etched hose clamps have been added, and the kit rubber connector that join radiator and water manifold, rather ugly, has been replaced by a nice one, made of the rubber insulation coat of an USB cable. It fits perfectly.

The radiator cap isn't the one of the kit.
    I've bought this one ond aftermarket supplier : http://model-motorcars.myshopify.com/
    it's bronze cast and silver plated

[B]2/ Connecting cable between dashboard temperature display and the radiator has been installed[/B]
    It's scratch-built with a 38 gauge guitar string !!

And it crosses through the firewall behind the right cam cover :

Last edited by ThierryD86; 09-22-16 at 04:09 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    [B]
    Sequel of the previous episode and new additions to this kit:

3/ Speedometer cable that connect[/B], on the one hand to the gearbox, and to the dashboard speedo and odo meter on the other, has been installed too.

At the moment, it runs from the gearbox, and goes to the front of the car, goes under the firewall, and then crosses through it via a hole.

It's scratch-built too with guitar string !!
    It's attached with scratch-built cable holders along its way

[B]4/ Added too: a cable connecting the rear of the left engine cover and the dashboard[/B], crossing through the firewall, via the same hole.
    I've made it, after looking at the ref. photos. I think it connects to the tachometer on the dashboard. In facts, that has been confirmed by my old mechanic friend.
    It too, is scratch-built with guitar string !! And brass pipe.

Last edited by ThierryD86; 09-22-16 at 03:53 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Last but not least, here is the ultimate enhancement I made on my model, two weeks ago, just 2 days before leaving France for Canadian holidays.

So I undertook a project which should be quickly achieved....but it took me 4 hours!

I wasn't very satisfied with the kit photo-etched part which claims to be the screw -butterfly of the oil filter housing on the left of the firewall.
    It's just a metal helix on a plastic nipple.

My purpose was to replace this ugly part with a nice brass one, which would really look like a screw-butterfly, as on the reference photos.

I'd planned to scratchbuild one, and I've made two, because the first one, although rather nice, was out of scale (too big).

[B]Here is the tutorial of the manufacturing process of the second and good one:

[/B]
    1/ Take two brass tubes of 2 mm and 1.3 mm outer diameter

2/ Drill one end of the 2 mm tube with a 1.4 mm drill to pierce it

3/ cut a 15 mm length of this 2 mm tube

4/ cut a 15 mm lenght of the 1.3 mm tube

5/ thread the1.3 mm tube in the hole drilled on the 2 mm tube

6/ Hold the assembly with a helping hand, for instance

7/ Light the soldering torch and prepare your soldering rod (silver for me)

8/ heat solder and your brass assembly and be on your own to pour molten solder IN the interior of the 2 mm tube...OK that's soldered !

9/ Sand the assembly to remove the excess of solder and give the assembly its initial shape

10/ Bend the two 1.3 mm tubes

11/ Cut these ends to the appropriate lenght, and then, flatten them strongly with pliers

12/ Sand, polish, cut the 2 mm tube to the appropiate lenght, sand and polish again and that is what you'll get

All that remained to do now was:

- cut the plastic nipple of the oil filter housing
    - drill the housing on its center with a 1 mm bit
    - Glue a 1 mm rod into the firewall end of the new screw-butterfly
    - And glue it in the oil filter housing

But, after having slept on it, I modified once more this part:
    I sand a bit more, to reduce the lenght of the screw, and got that: 4 mm length, 8 width, prettier and closer to scale

Well, this important part to scratchbuild had been achevied.

On a real Bugatti oil filter, the screw-butterfly continues by a threaded rod passing through the housing.

So I've added it:

And then I've screwed the butterfly on the oil filter housing.

[B]Before the small job
    [/B]

[B]And after
    [/B]

I'm quite happy with it, which seems always a bit too large for the housing...but, it has exactly the same dimensions as the kit one....so, I'll dont modify it again.

QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Hi, Gentlemen

As for now, you've seen all the already done work on my 'Bug'
    I' ve taken the opportunity of holidays to post it here, during the downtime of my travel. ..

Now it's time to come back home.. I fly to France this evening and will be ready to continue my building next week.

[B]I must work on these jobs to achieve the chassis.:[/B]

- 1/ Implant firewall supports ([I]I could have built them from scratch, but i was slacker, and order them to Mac, I expect them by the end of this month[/I])

- 2/ Install a cable that connect fuel tank and fuel gauge on the dash. About this, I'm looking for documentation, if exists...Has everyone any idea ?

- 3/ Scratchbuild a battery and install it.

- 4/Install the functional braking system. Regarding Egon's remark at the beginning of this thread, I'm thinking to enhance the kit system, replacing some pulleys by sprockets and using chain in addition of the cables, to be closer to the prototype. For that purpose, I've ordered on Hiroboy's website a 1/12 motorcycle chain kit which, I hope so, will be convenient... Sprockets would be scratchbuilt.

Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection.-112_motorcycle_chain_set__p941_43682-jpeg Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection.-112_motorcycle_chain_set__p941_73405-jpeg

- 5/ Install the carrier floorboard. I'm studying the feasibility of covering its underside by wooden planking ([I]as on the real car[/I])

- 6/ Install the new alu floor mat, glue and bolt it.

- 7/ Install the 3 pedals. About them, I'm thinking to replace the poor kit plastic parts, by brass scratch-built ones. I must reflect still more...

- 8/ Disassemble the 6 wheels in order to identify lefts and rights, make a new realistic paint, replace out of scale kit brass valves by scratchbuilt realistic ones, and repair the oxidized rims and bezels. This last job requires to purchase and electrolytic plating system.

- 9/ Purchase the MMC lighting kit and install the electronic control board and wiring.

- 10/ And then a great work on the dashboard, that will be strongly modified and enhanced (wood plated Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. or even entirely peartree-wooden made, lighting, scratch-built switches, connection with cables, electric wiring, etc.)

- 11/ Next, scratchbuild the devices connected to the knobs Dufaux-Repusseau, which function is adjusting the tension of the dampers, and install the connecting cables.

- 12/ Last but not least, try to light weathering Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. engine and engine compartment.

In brief, numerous hours and weeks of pleasant but probably difficult work.... And a lot of money to spend (Pocher model building is always expansive but it worth the efforts)

QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    How do the 1:12 chain look in scale to the real one, to big or small, from the pictures they look like bicycle chains on the car.
    Last edited by Egon; 09-23-16 at 02:36 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    How do the 1:12 chain look in scale to the real one, to big or small, from the pictures they look like bicycle chains on the car.
    Listen Egon, it's possible you would right, but really, we don't know.
    In effect, and firstly, a bicycle chain would be unable to resist the strong traction effort of the steel cable while braking on this car, and it would break quickly.
    Furthermore, in my opinion, a 1:12 scale motorbike chain (often between 16 and 20 mm thickness at 1:1 Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. scale) has probably the same proportions than a 1:8 bicycle chain (often 13 mm thickness at 1:1 Pocher Bugatti type 50 Coupé de Ville: à résurrection. scale) , with a link thickness of more or less 1.5 mm.

I purchased this chain, in spite of its price, to make me an idea of what could be got with, and accepting a waste of money if it doesn't fit.
    Wait and see...

QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    I have some places to buy chain and gears, and look forward to see your chain on the model.
    http://www.topstudiohobby.com/index....1%3A10%20chain
    http://www.acustion.com/index.html2e.html

There must be more that sell chains and gears.
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    I have some places to buy chain and gears, and look forward to see your chain on the model.
    http://www.topstudiohobby.com/index....1%3A10%20chain
    http://www.acustion.com/index.html2e.html

There must be more that sell chains and gears.
    Thank you Egon
    I'll take a look, and if mine doesn't work, I'll see if there is on these sites a convenient one.
    Regards

QUOTE QUOTE #41

11. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Holidays have achieved, at work now !

I've received my 1:12 scale bike chain from Hiro factory.

The mounting process appears to require great care and precision , due to small sample size of the links: 1.15 mm thickness and 2.6 mm width, approximatively.

Here a link to a Youtube video (not mine of course) for a similar chain:

My first impression is that the chain size will work well for my purpose.

I think working on it wednesday, if I find in my stash a soldering iron with an ultra-thin tip, and make tries.

If it goes, will remain to scratchbuild or purchase appropriate sprockets, and modify the kit to install the modified brake cables.

More to see later, so

QUOTE QUOTE #42

12. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    It looks fine in scale, are the middle part in plastic ?
    QUOTE QUOTE #43

13. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    It looks fine in scale, are the middle part in plastic ?
    Yes Egon, and the links are photo-etched.

QUOTE QUOTE #44

14. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Always no firewall supports of MMC at the post-office, so, I've begun to work on the brake system

And first, as I've planned to replace the pulleys of front wheels brakes by sprockets, placing a piece of chain on the brake cable way ([I]in accordance to the photo Egon showed in a previous post on this topic[/I]), I need 2 sprockets, one for each wheel.

Butt, in the set I've bought of 1:12 motorcycle chain, there is only 1 little sprocket ([I]the output gearbox, pignon[/I]), with 15 teeth, this one:

To notice: this sprocket is cast soft metal, and I've drilled it in its center, because it's destined to replace the pulley, and so, must thread on a shaft

Nota: on the real car, the sprockets have 13 teeth, if I'm not mistaken. I break the rule I set out, using a 15 teeth sprocket, my apologies for that !

I've searched in my treasure boxes, my supply of gears of all types, have rummaged all the drawers of my garage, and not found everything that would be instantly usable as a 15 teeth gear.

So, discouraged, I decided to try scratch-building one, trying to be the closest as possible of the pinion.

I've used this nylon gear, that, fortunately, has 15 teeth too, and a quite identical diameter: 8.3 mm instead of 7.2, but is much more thicker, and mounted on a nylon shaft :

I've put the shaft in a toy-tool (my Unimat one lathe), and reduced the thickness of the gear, sanding it whith a cardboard file.
    Then I've reduced the diameter of the gear, unfortunately a little bit, getting a diameter of 6.6 mm....At the moment, I've decided not to make another, waiting the achievement of this piece, to compare them, particularly given that there is only one of them on each side, and that the chain will probably fit well, despite of this little difference.
    Then, cutted the nylon shaft with a thin blade, on the lathe.
    Then spent a long time to file the teeth of the nylon sprocket, next, cutted a little piece of brass tube, inserted on center of the sprocket, an got that:

On the left, you can see the nylon sprocket with below the little piece of brass tube, and on the right the metal sprocket of the Factory Hiro kit.

And now, the tries of fitting

On the car kit, you have this pulley on the brake system:

On the real car, you have this system:

One can see that the pinion shaft is offset of the shaft that joins the drum and the front axle.
    I'm going to break the rule for the second time, because, at this scale, it's very hard to do, and what is important to see is that there is a sprocket and a chain on the brake cable way

So my build gives actually that with the Hiro Factory metal sprocket, on the left drum

A try with the nylon sprocket before painting it, on the right drum:

I've painted my nylon white sprocket with Alclad Stainless steel, and got this:

And, once installed on the right drum shaft:

And at least an overview, where you can notice the little difference of diameter of the sprockets:

On the left, teeth of metal sprocket passes the washer, and on the right, teeth of nylon sprocket are a bit hidden by the washer

Sprockets can spine freely on their shaft, as in reality.. They spine freely around the little brass tube, and washes above and below prevent the light vertical trembling that occured while testing rotation.

I would like to know what's your feeling about it, because my first impression is that it's not so bad, despite of the diameter difference between these sprockets, and my vagrancies concerning the truth of the real system.

If you think I must make another sprocket of the right size, tell me, because I've found another forgotten treasure: a second nylon gear of 8.18 mm diameter and 15 teeth !!!
    That wouldn't take long....only 3 or 4 hours of work ! But not sure I would make better, because while sanding nylon on the lathe to get a right diameter, it is very easy going too far, as nylon is very tender.

Nota: Of course, when i'll install the chain around the nylon right sprocket, if the chain is not restrained by sprocket and fall while braking, it will be obligatory to redo this work !

Stay tuned for next episode: building of pieces of chain.

QUOTE QUOTE #45

15. ThierryD86's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Thierry
    Finally, I was a bit unsatisfied, my perfection-research devil probably, and I've scratch-built another nylon sprocket, with the "exact" diameter, perhaps still a little bit thicker, but that will be easy to fix, if chain wouldn't fit, and I've always the possibility to make another if necessary...

Better, isn't it ?

Crazy , I'm crazy

QUOTE QUOTE #46