Close

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Dec 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 8
      Started: 08-15-16 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Kit Bashed Attribution

This very much comes under the heading of future projects, but I believe it can be built from the Airfix kit, with a scratch built 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater body. I've already found some 3D print files for the body, which even if not accurate, could be used as the basis for a body buck.

Has anyone attempted it?

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-birkinbentley_1500-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens Andersen View Post
    Hi JoNz
    I read the whole thread and Im happy I did. You made such nice things .. Blower , carburettors , oilcooler and the handle and contacts etc the whole model is wonderfull . Well done !
    Looking foreward to see more .
    Jens Andersen
    Thanks Jens, I’m still enjoying making it - even if some of the parts have been made 2 or 3 times... there will be a bit of a break as I’m in the UK for a couple of months and so no progress. I do have plans to go to Beaulieu while I’m here to photograph John Bolsters “Bloody Mary” for a future project...

QUOTE QUOTE #317

2. Jens Andersen's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jens
    Had to look up that Bloody Mary and I wasnt disapointed . Its a super project for the future when you finish the Bentley.. It made me think of Richard Scaldwells JAPs.. That I have in my mind if I gets tired of building Alfa Romeos..You have to look it up under The Old Motor .com..its the 1908 JAP 305 c.i I fell in love with.. That too will be an awesome project and a fantastic model to have standing at home.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-gn3-jpg 
    Last edited by Jens Andersen; 07-01-19 at 04:14 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #318

3. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    I'm back! I took about 300 pictures of Bloody Mary, but what I am missing is detailed references for the JAP engines. As they were sourced from crashed Brough Superiors, I thought it would be easy.... except all the Broughs I've found have Matchless motors. So, anyone have details (drawing would be great!) of the 1925 1000cc JAP twin?

QUOTE QUOTE #319

4. Stu238's Avatar Member
    Name
    Stuart
    Hi Jo,

I have been looking into the JAP engines for some time. There are drawings on the net but one good source is by following this link

https://loosefillings.com/2018/03/30...wings-surface/

Also I have a number of sectional drawings. If you are interested just pm me.

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-jap-8-hp-kt-1922-25-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-jap-ktor-8-45-hp-1926-26-1-jpg

I'm am very interested in Richard Scaldwells Aero Engined JAP V8 and am collecting as much data for this as I can.

Thanks,
    Stu
    QUOTE QUOTE #320

5. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Thanks for that, Stu. BM used the 8-45hp KTOR engine - I'll PM you.
    This is why I couldn't get any pictures - the motors are a little squeezed in....

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_0241-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #321

6. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Back to the Bentley.
    One of the few remaining unmodified kit parts succumbed - the wooden bonnet seating strips on the chassis are much narrower on the Birkin car....

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3240-jpg

And some body furniture. The reinforcing plates around the fuel and oil filler apertures, and access hatches

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3247-jpg

Looking closely at the car, it's evident that the headrest fairing has a cutout for the fuel filler reinforcing plate

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-image153-jpg

I was very pleased that my eyeballed and estimated plate needed the same cutout...

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3249-jpg

That plate is a very curious shape, I have no idea why.

QUOTE QUOTE #322

7. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Airfix
    Making models from photographs only requires well calibrated eyes.

Your eyes must be very well calibrated
    QUOTE QUOTE #323

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    You are so right Don! To me pictures are just a nice help but could not rely on them to do a model. In fact, it's not true: the first Avanti I did was done with the poor pictures I had and the final result was not quite good!
    QUOTE QUOTE #324

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Airfix
    Jo, you are making such a nice model! I go back and forth myself on having measurements or photos only, to make a model.

In small scales a modeler can get away with so much, but on the larger models?

Well, like I said, you have to have well calibrated eyes, and a sense of proportion.

Each of us has to decide for ourselves how deep down the rabbit hole, we want to venture!

Excellent work!
    QUOTE QUOTE #325

10. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Thank you both for your kind words. It's not as if I look at it and then make it - I do a lot of measuring off the photos to get the proportions right. I just don't always need scale drawings, but they really do help!
    Now onto the bit I've been dreading - the rear damper attachments to the axle. I have no drawings or pictures of this so it's an estimated solution.

The drop link for the big friction damper - soldered and then shaped on the lathe with a half round needle file

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3250-jpg

Incidentally it's sitting on my newest piece of equipment - a plain white wall tile. The ridges on the back are great for holding while soft soldering, and the smooth white ceramic good for glueing etc. - everything wipes off.

I started by replicating the mounts on the standard Bentley using brass angle, and I had to remove the axle so that I could see what I was doing

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3253-jpg

I don't think that both rear droplinks go to the same bolt, so another bracket (this is the other side)

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3260-jpg

Looks better. I still don't know if it's right, but as it's hidden by the brake drum and wheel, it will stay like that!

QUOTE QUOTE #326

11. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    A major milestone. It's red at last!
    This is using Tamiya 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater lacquer 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater (LP-7, pure red) and at 50/50 with thinners you need to get it on really wet or it dries rough. Very quick drying, and I have some (!) rough areas I'm going to need to sand 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater out. Otherwise it's far too shiny for a 1932 hand painted racer, and I'm going to try semi-gloss varnish to get a better finish...

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3274-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3275-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #327

12. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Looks good!
    QUOTE QUOTE #328

13. Jens Andersen's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jens
    Yes looks good.
    To me it seems ok as it is. They had sprayguns for painting in 1932 and they had the good old nitrocellulose so hard to get these days.
    QUOTE QUOTE #329

14. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Airfix
    Very, very handsome!

When I get tired of the research of a project, it’s nice to see it in process.

When I get tired of making and remaking of parts, assembly and disassembly, it’s nice to see it in primer 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater .

And when the time finally comes, it’s GREAT to se some colour!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #330

15. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Our local club champs were last weekend, so it gave me the impetus to try and finish the build... I ran out of red paint so decided to assemble what I had and put it on display. As you can see from the photos, I still have some work to do with the paint. I have trialled semi-gloss lacquer 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater on the bonnet and headrest fairing, and I think I'll spray the whole car with it - perhaps waxing afterwards to add a bit more gloss. At the moment it's sitting in the cabinet for a couple of weeks to allow the paint to harden fully, and then hopefully I'll finish it!

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-bb1-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-bb2-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-bb4-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-bb5-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-bb6-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #331