Close

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 8
      Started: 08-15-16 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Kit Bashed Attribution

This very much comes under the heading of future projects, but I believe it can be built from the Airfix kit, with a scratch built 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater body. I've already found some 3D print files for the body, which even if not accurate, could be used as the basis for a body buck.

Has anyone attempted it?

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-birkinbentley_1500-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Airfix
    Hello Jo!

Very nice louvers! Crisp, even and straight!

Wood floor looks pretty good too!

-as an aside, I was looking through a book on Dan Gurney's first Eagle, and noticed that the tach. is mounted about 120 degrees askew. -and the picture that you posted of the fabric covered body, has two unusual additions to the chassis rail ends.

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-chassis-fins-2-png

Any guesses?

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #302

2. PROPELLER's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Dan
    Hi Jo!

It's a real pleasure to follow your fantastic progress.
    I do love your attention to details...
    Bravo!

Dan.
    QUOTE QUOTE #303

3. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Thanks Don and Dan!

Don, your asides get more and more off the wall... as for the Eagle, it was commonplace in the days of mechanical instruments to mount them so that in normal operation all needles were vertical, e.g. oil pressure, water temperature and of course max revs.
    As for the chassis extensions on the Bentley... I think those are rear wing end plates - there’s definitely a low mounted wing on the back of the body

QUOTE QUOTE #304

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Airfix
    Hi Jo!

When in my minds eye I look at what your model is to become, you make me wish for my old model shop! I would have been proud to show off such a magnificent model!

My aside, about the Gurney tach. was in reference to your upside down instruments. -why are they upside down?

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_6814-2-jpg

-Don

PS- I assume that the tach. has been mounted in this fashion to show the working range , rpm, and let the steering wheel hide a portion of the dial that is of no value?
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 04-11-19 at 05:27 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #305

5. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Don - upside down because I needed the gap between graduations to be at the top - not, as is more common, at the bottom. Because they are almost hidden and fairly small in 1/12 it's hard to spot. It saves me having to draw new ones. (I have to do this anyway for the giant tacho)

Now for more adventures in tin bashing...

the bonnet is complete but does need some adjustment. I still have to glue the side panel onto the offside, so I'll leave the final adjustments until then. I now have the correct number of louvres, the bulges are like the prototype, and I found even more detail where the bonnet overlaps in front of the exhaust. There's a bulge in the top piece to miss the bulge in the bottom!

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3213-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3214-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3216-jpg

The road to completion is strewn with detritus...

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3217-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3218-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3219-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3220-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #306

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Airfix
    Looking very nice!

I've been doing "spring cleaning" at home and made the mistake of mentioning the repairs and overhauls to my boss. He's kept me busy with repairs and "spring cleaning" at my day job! -in short I get home too tired to do anything!

Detritus is common, I assume you've seen the pictures in Mr. Wingrove's books! Maybe you should start a museum like Roger has? No admission charge of course!

-Don
    QUOTE QUOTE #307

7. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    I found a picture of the Bentley when it was collected by Robertson Roger in 1939. It should be in the same state as it was at it's last race in October 1932

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_20190428_0002-jpg

It has a couple of interesting points - the cylindrical inlet (or something) is fitted to the front cowl, and the oil cooler pipes are routed differently from the restored version. I know that the cowl wasn't modified for Easter 1932, but I suspect that the oil pipes had been.

Here's the modified oil cooler

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3221-jpg

The bonnet panels now fit better and are primed

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3232-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3239-jpg

And I've made a start on the fly screen

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3228-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3236-jpg

Does anyone have a recipe for making Basswood look like Oak?

Last edited by Jo NZ; 05-19-19 at 02:03 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #308

8. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    I suppose there are various tints for wood which may bring your construction to the color you want. Furniture restorer could certainly help.
    QUOTE QUOTE #309

9. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Airfix
    Yes to the wood question, but first, WOW! what a beautiful model your making!

Very useful picture! -I have a very grainy version of it in my collection. Never noticed the front projection, and of course the oil cooler plumbing 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater is a very helpful bit as well!

Very good work Jo!

Now for the wood question, make several pieces, you can't always predict how the wood will respond to what your going to do to it.

1) Doesn't the wood get painted? Red?

2) If you want to stain or tint the wood? seal it first! Polyurethane or a clear acrylic 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater . Let it dry thoroughly. -and then use transparent tints to add color to it. Do not stain the wood raw! I have done a fair amount of this kind of work and I think that this is the best way to go. -If at any time you are unhappy with the colour, you can wipe it off. Returning you to your original sealed wood. -You cannot do that if you apply the stain straight to the wood. Raw wood will soak up tints and stains most, at the end grain and least on the side grain. Any breaks in the surface of the wood will also draw in stains in a very different way than the rest of the wood. (This can be used to good effect, by piercing the sealed wood with a knife point, and allowing the "damaged" wood to draw in stains or tints in a controlled fashion.)

Transparent glazes can be made of acrylic 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater paints, "artist type paints", transparent medium is available at art supply houses, or transparent Tamiya 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater , or Gunze Sangyo paints are very good and cheapish. Both of these have the advantage of being water based. -so while they're still wet you can wipe some or all away to effect. And work the colour in stages. Try "dirty yellow tints" apply and wipe away. apply and wipe away. add a little brown to your mix, keep it very transparent and don't rush it. Keep it thin, watery, apply and wipe. Remember that since it is sealed, nothing is permanent until it dries.

3) How sure are you that its Oak? (by the way do not use Oak, as it is way to porous and grainy to be used in a scale model. The pores in the wood and its viisble texture do not scale-down, and will look too coarse). -Bass Wood is a common wood in England, (Grinling Gibbons et al.) Or Ash? Ash was the wood used in the framing of most cars from this period. Ash is like White Oak in over-all colour but without the strong grain, or ubiquitous pores. Veiwing Ash in a "scale distance" and it looks very much like Bass-wood.

4) Avoid "homeopathic" solutions! Tea and coffee are for drinking. Same with beer! Rainwater Madeira, and Tawny Port send to me if you don't know what to do with them!

5) You sure the wood is not red?

Re-reading my above suggestions, I am sure that I am preaching to the teacher, but, for those who do not know? -I do go on and on, . . .

Great work Jo!
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 05-19-19 at 05:50 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #310

10. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    How do I know it’s oak? There was a mention in one of the magazines where George Daniel said that he didn’t know how long the original oak would survive. I’m assuming it was already on the single seater body as the two seater originally had a full width screen. The single seat body was preserved, hopefully the screen with it?

QUOTE QUOTE #311

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Airfix
    Hi Jo, I've been trying to find a useful picture or two. In some the area in question looks red, and in others, black? But those were grainy pictures and the "black" may have been a shadow.

Below is a Daniels era picture, taken at Pebble-Beach. It looks Light brown?

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-29_bentley-4-5liter-red-dv-09_pbc_014-2-jpg
    QUOTE QUOTE #312

12. Bugatti Fan's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Noel
    Even Bass Wood (Limewood) will be grainy in this scale. Pear Wood has a very close grain and nice colour. It is expensive in block form, but an alternative is to buy a sheet of veneer, cut out some rectangles, stick them together to make up the thickness you want with a good wood adhesive. Clamp between a couple of blocks of offcuts and when thoroughly set, remove and cut to shape, then finish as required.
    QUOTE QUOTE #313

13. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Airfix
    Recently I was looking through the fire-wood piles in stock at my local market, and some of the wood offered was Almond! A nice dense fruit-wood, a pleasant medium brown, and with only a steel scraper, I could get it quite smooth! -almost a polish. (Almonds are a California crop, but my suggestion is to look at local fire-wood piles. You might find something you like?)
    QUOTE QUOTE #314

14. Stu238's Avatar Member
    Name
    Stuart
    Hi, just catching up with this build thread and must say that I am hugely impressed. Love the subject and the way in which you are modelling it.

For wood I usually use "pear wood" as this has a very tight grain and is really good to work with. It will take pretty much any stain that you would normally use too. I got a couple of sheets in couple sizes off eBay.

Keep up the great work. Truly inspiring.

Cheers, Stu
    QUOTE QUOTE #315

15. Jens Andersen's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Jens
    Hi JoNz
    I read the whole thread and Im happy I did. You made such nice things .. Blower , carburettors , oilcooler and the handle and contacts etc the whole model is wonderfull . Well done !
    Looking foreward to see more .
    Jens Andersen
    QUOTE QUOTE #316