Close

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater
Accepted Payment Types

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/12 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 8
      Started: 08-15-16 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Kit Bashed Attribution

This very much comes under the heading of future projects, but I believe it can be built from the Airfix kit, with a scratch built 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater body. I've already found some 3D print files for the body, which even if not accurate, could be used as the basis for a body buck.

Has anyone attempted it?

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-birkinbentley_1500-jpg

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Another interesting utilisation of the mm paper! (in French: papier millimétré)
    QUOTE QUOTE #242

2. PROPELLER's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Dan
    And very clever! Very interest work, as usual!
    Dan.
    QUOTE QUOTE #243

3. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Dashboard - I'd originally played around with engine turning and made a successfully figured ally plate which I cut the dash from. Unfortunately it had a few problems... first, I made it while the body was still in it's early stages and cut the profile to the outside of the body shape - so it is too big. Second, I misplaced one of the holes for the instruments - must have been a senior moment. Third, and most important, the Birkin car has a plain alloy dash. It must be the only Blower Bentley without an engine turned one....

Here's the original, and the new improved plain one

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3103-jpg

I'd already made the instrument surrounds, but needed to find something to put in them. They are fairly well hidden under the body, so absolute realism can be put to one side. I found some excellent instrument faces for the 1/8 Alfa: reducing the size and printing onto photo paper got reasonable reproductions. I scored the photo with a scalpel to represent needles, and cut the faces and the glasses (from laser print clear film) out with a circle punch. A little playing around with a black pen and I had a reasonable set of instruments.

Here's the completed dashboard

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3110-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #244

4. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Airfix
    That looks pretty good Jo. Plain Aluminum is the way to go, some people might throw in the extra detail, (that’s not there) - I’ glad your not. Being accurate is far more important.

There will always be a chance to show that kind of work on another model
    QUOTE QUOTE #245

5. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Accurate - hmmmm...
    Just don't try to read the instruments - most of them are upside down to get the right look....

QUOTE QUOTE #246

6. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Airfix
    Well that begs explaining?

The attached image, I'm sure you've seen, I post it now to mention the dark colour of the headrest, hood straps, and cockpit edging. -the car is shown pretty much after first assembly, so it is blue. My guess would be that the headrest and others are black?

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-view-2-jpg

Swoopy wind fairing, smaller radiator opening, no fairing over side rail mechanisms, and "tear-drop" blister on bonnet.
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 02-24-19 at 02:19 PM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #247

7. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Don - the bonnet straps are currently brown, so I'll go with that. The seat and headrest were red in 2012, but are now black. There is evidence that the seat cushion, at least, was red. Was it red on the blue car, or changed to red on the red one? or was it black? George Daniels seem to have taken a few liberties with originality (mainly to get it roadworthy in the 1970s) so who knows? I know my bonnet blisters are wrong - they are shaped like the Daniels car, and the new owner has put them back to blisters. I'm going to finish the model first, and then think about new bonnet side panels.

I still need to make the fly screen and passenger side wind deflector for the 1932 version. One of a long list of jobs, but at least I now have a list!

I'm still looking for details of how the big friction dampers at the rear connect to the axle - anybody got any information on that?

A quick assembly to find out what doesn't fit anymore

(Actually it took about 5 hours to put it all together. Why do I use M0.6 nuts???)

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3119-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3120-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3122-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3126-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3127-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3129-jpg

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3131-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #248

8. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    Looking great! So much detail going on with this.
    QUOTE QUOTE #249

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Nice! Do you have to disassemble it again? I know the pain of assembly/disassembly and so on. And those M0.6 nuts which disappear!
    QUOTE QUOTE #250

10. markus68's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Markus
    Looks nice. Good luck to you for the paintwork.
    QUOTE QUOTE #251

11. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Airfix
    Very clean and amazingly seamless!

Not all masterpieces are Brass!
    QUOTE QUOTE #252

12. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Thanks for all the comments!
    Yes I will need to disassemble it, but anything that will be red can be left together, so the axles etc. can stay.

QUOTE QUOTE #253

13. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    After an interesting afternoon I'm relieved to have finished something. It is now definitely wine o'clock, and I have a glass of New Zealand Mission Syrah to hand.

I found this photo amongst my collection, which gives more cockpit detail (Don, was it from you?)

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_5803_2_-jpg

On the floor in front of the driver is a handwheel. I'm not sure what it's for, it seems to connect to the gearbox change mechanism or perhaps the handbrake cross-shaft.

The first step took a while. Just 12 1mm holes on a 6mm pcd, but... I started with a mill-faced 1mm drill (i.e. flat bottomed) but it wandered so much that the third hole broke into the second one. I turned the blank around and started again. Then a 1mm drill - which broke off in the third hole. Then a 1mm tungsten carbide milling cutter. (I wanted to make the holes 5mm deep, to allow for machining both sides). The cutter wasn't long enough, and snapped as soon as it reached the conical section (at about 4.5mm).
    So, another carbide cutter (Chinese, so they are cheap!) and limiting the depth to 3mm. Success!

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3133-jpg

Then machined off the excess, to get the finger grips, and profiled the end with a file

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3134-jpg

Cut the back and profiled

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3135-jpg

Finished!

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3137-jpg

And ready to be assembled, after a touch of paint

1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater-img_3143-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #254

14. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Ah! A good red wine; no problem, I'm doing with!
    Nice handwheel. I'm not surprised that you had a misfortune with a flat bottom drill. When I'm doing something similar, I always pre-drill with a smaller bit, like a very short 0.7mm drill.
    I cannot tell either what is the purpose of this handwheel.
    QUOTE QUOTE #255

15. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Kit
    Airfix
    Very nice work with that wheel! Really clean symmetrical work. (Looks Austrian)()

Photo probably was one of my contributions, and somewhere I believe, I've read of the purpose of the hand wheels in the picture, but I will have to go through a small mountain to find it. -I will gladly make the effort if you wish.

Yours is another build to learn from, my previous remark about seamless, is in reference to all the styrene 1/12 Birkin Blower Bentley single seater laminations that you have used. A useful technique! -and universally available to all modelers.
    QUOTE QUOTE #256