Close

Builder Last Online: Dec 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/4 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 05-19-16 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built Build in Progress

no not the jaguar e type , although i am also building one of them , in 1/8 scale , but this is the 1/3 scale full aluminium , jaguar xj13
      one was build in the 1960's , and crashed in the 70's , after that it was rebuild by jaguar , in a difrent shape , with lots of modifications , to body , wheels , and a few other bits ,,

i have been asked by a freind to build him a model of the car , in aluminium ,,
      i have been in the automotive metalshaping buisness for years , but this model is testing my skills , to the full 100%
      because everything needs to be made specialy for this model , nothing is off the shelve , as 1/3 is a strange scale

the body has been made on a fitting buck , exactly the same as the real car
      the panels have been welded , and riveted , and glued , in the places that welding would distort the panels ,
      where on the real car steel was used i also used steel so in every way this car model is the same as the 1960's version

large scale jaguar-foto1683-jpg
      large scale jaguar-foto1909-jpg
      large scale jaguar-foto1912-jpg
      large scale jaguar-foto2128-jpg
      the louvres i made by building a tool for these , as they had to be 92 exactly the same louvres , the same in shape and size , it took me about half a year , untill i got the tools right , and after a whole lot of tests i finaly got them punched in the bonnet

large scale jaguar-foto2134-jpg
      large scale jaguar-foto2132-jpg

more progress will follow , because i have been working on this model for about 1,5 year , and development of parts are done all on paper ,
      alle the tools i have is a press drill , and a small hobby lathe ,, the rest is filing , and hacksaw , ( basic handtools ) ,, so no fancy 3d programs , or hi tech tools
      i know i may not be fast , but eventualy it will be finished ,,
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Huge build wow, haven't you got an other thread on this car somewhere.
    PS. are you on ebay ? need a contact in germany.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. broadspeed's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    michel
    yes very big , 1,60 meters long
    i did have another thread on here , but that got deleted , because of some reasons i will not speak of ,,,

and your last question ,, sorry i do not have an e bay account sorry ,,
    last week i got told i could watsapp someone ,, i was like ehhhhmmmm yeah and what ,,, might that be ,, i have a phone to call someone , and nothing more ,,

i am a bit oldscool ,, i guess ,

large scale jaguar
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    I'm about to start investigating making louvres for the Pocher Alfa. I have a hand press and will start the tooling - basically a D-shaped male punch and a female tool cut with a 2mm ball cutter and finished one side with an end mill.

I have some questions:
    Do you cut a slit for the louvre, or allow the punch to do it?
    Do you anneal the aluminium? Burnt match method?
    Anything else I need to be aware of?

I'd be very grateful - as you have found, it looks like a long haul to get it right!

Jo
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. broadspeed's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    michel
    i ll take some pics of the tooling ,, today ,that way it's easier to explain

large scale jaguar
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. broadspeed's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    michel
    large scale jaguar-foto2252-jpg
    the lower part is easy , a block for the shape of the louvre , ( mine is aluminium ) , and the smaller strip is extreemly hard steel , used for tools
    but i guess a piece of flat bar that has its edge hardened will do as well
    this because i used mine to cut and form the louvre in one go

large scale jaguar-foto2253-jpg
    the upper part , i made like this , with a stop on it so that it doesnt push in to far , and deform the louvre , because if you deform the louvre it will stretch the sheet you are using , and eventualy after a number of louvres it will curve the sheet

large scale jaguar-foto2256-jpgif you have a normal press you can use it , i used my drill press ( table drill )
    just make sure it is aligned perfectly , because the 2 pieces ( upper and lower ) need to be aligned so tight that they will cut the sheet metal , like a pair of scissors

the sheet of aluminium i used was fairly thin , 0,5 mm , and i did not anneal it ,

you can cut the lines before you press in the louvre , but if you get the alignment right you can skip that and cut and shape in one go

also on the lower block , there is a step filed at the back , i used it as a meisurement , after every cut , i push the newest louvre against it , and cut the new one , so that the distance between every louvre would be exactly the same , and that they would be paralel to eachother
    with a felt pen i drew a centerline on the sheet , and in the middle of the top cutter i put a marking so i could keep the louvres going in a straight line ,

all basicaly simple , and with little tools , but the finetuning took the longest , i think in total i punched a 1000, to 1500 louvres before i got one bonnet right
    large scale jaguar-foto2198-jpg
    here is the finished bonnet , with a resin large scale jaguar cast naca duct , for brake reservoir cooling

large scale jaguar
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. broadspeed's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    michel
    i hope this helps a bit

large scale jaguar
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Jo NZ's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Jo
    Awesome! Lots of helpful info there, including the tip on how to get the spacing even. Thanks again.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. broadspeed's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    michel
    Jo NZ i also saw a nice setup , similar to mine , but smaller scale in this thread ,, http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...6-scale-2.html

may also help you out :-)

large scale jaguar
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. broadspeed's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    michel
    after almost 4 years it's finaly finished , large scale jaguar-dsc_0046-jpg
    large scale jaguar-dsc_0049-jpg
    large scale jaguar-dsc_0077-jpg
    large scale jaguar-dsc_0088-jpg
    large scale jaguar-dsc_0092-jpg
    large scale jaguar-dsc_0094-jpg

now i am working on drawing up and printing all the parts of the xj13 in 1/8 scale
    large scale jaguar-2018-12-07-21-06-24-jpg

large scale jaguar
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Last edited by MODEL A MODEL; 12-08-18 at 12:47 PM.
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Very nice build Michel, looks perfect, what are your plans for engine ecc. working engine I think George can help you there a handbuild one.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. JunkGTZ's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Larry
    I was just wondering about this project last week. I was going to search for the thread and ask what's up, but you're a busy guy so I figured you'd post when you could. Absolutely stunning! Catch us up on the Cobra Daytona too.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13