Close

1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build 1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build 1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build 1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build 1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build
Accepted Payment Types

Builder Last Online: Aug 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 2
      Started: 05-03-16 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Attribution Completed

Hi Everyone,
      its been a while since I last posted anything but thats because I have been busy with my latest build - a 1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca from the Pocher kit. Actually, it is not really a build diary as I have completed the build already - I did take pictures during the build but there are so many postings of Pocher builds and as mine was mostly standard I thought I would skip that and go to the completed pics. I am posting these as I would like to get some feedback from all you experienced builders out there. I only know two Pocher builders in the entire country here!

This is only my second Pocher build but I think it turned out alright. My general issue with these kits is that they are great with much of the detail in some respects and not so great in others. Also, accruarcy is sometimes a problem. However, as a newbie I wanted to go for the build with an open mind and not obsess too much about the technical accuracy (otherwise I wont get anything built for want of trying to have everything as perfect as possible .

But then came another dilemma. The detail on the engine and chassis on this kit - especially with the brake linkages, exhaust, geqarbox and the like - is really great but most if not all of that is hidden once the body is installed. So I decided to only build the rolling chassis, as it would have left the RR factory many years ago.

As stated, the build is mostly stock standard from the kit, with some modifications along the way.

Here are some pics of the completed engine, with a few additional details line fuel lines added.

Build Photos

1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-img_3222a-jpg  1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-img_3221a-jpg  1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-img_3217a-jpg  1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-img_3213a-jpg  1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-img_3158-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Solyrus's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rajen
    Once the engine was done I focussed on the Chassis. As I planned this to be a rolling chassis as it was supplied by the factory - once you bought the rolling chassis you took it to a coachbuilder to have your coach built and installed onto the chassis - I added the radiator and lights, as well as the dashboard (cut from the kit which has this portion in the part with the windscreen surround), and the spare wheel (ok, this was just my addition because I built the fifth wheel and did not want it to go to waste). I also added the bumpers from another kit (the Pocher Ambassador) because the chassis looks a bit naked without it and some tail lights.

1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20151111_002-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20151111_003-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-img3456a-jpg1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-img3457a-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-img3457a-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20151111_001-jpg

QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Solyrus's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rajen
    As you can see, the rolling chassis went into its own display case for me and everyone else to enjoy.

Once that build was done I looked in the box and saw the rest of the kit lying there, and it seemed a shame to let it all go to waste. I know I can get it sold on Evil bay but the cost of shipping from here is so high that its almost impossible for me to sell stuff online.

In any event, while speaking to some of my ffiends who popped around to see the chassis I got the notion to take my idea of the RR build further. So if the rolling chassis was bought at the factory, why not have the coach built separately? That way, I can finish the car but have all the details visible as well.

Building the body separate from the chassis presented some engineering challenges as the body is generally built directly onto the chassis. And as any Pocherphile will tell you, this particular kit has one of the worst fits for the body! So I figured I would have to get another chassis as the basic frame, which I did. The rest of the build went pretty straightforward, except I changed the interior by building my own seats and I also bought and added in the radiator as it really is the face of the care so needs to be there otherwise there is a gaping hole up front. I also removed the bumpers and lighst from the rolling chassis and added them to the body.

1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_009-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_011-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_015-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_017-jpg1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_030-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_035-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_039-jpg

It was my first attempt at painting a kit this big, and it proved a big challenge. As I dont have an airbrush 1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build as yet (I live in an apartment so the compressor is a bit of an issue) I used rattle-cans - The Duplicolor paints are really great. But it still took many days of sanding 1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build and polishing to get it right, and if you look very closely you can see some of my mistakes .

QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Solyrus's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rajen
    And then after the body was done, the final reveal of the "Body-Off' build! The plan is to have the body and chassis enclosed in one display case, but for now I have the body sitting on the case for the chassis (just for the pics, of course, cant leave it there permanently!).
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_057-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_066-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_060-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_058-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_064-jpg

And there it is, my Body-Off Rolls Royce Sedanca build...

QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Solyrus's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rajen
    And then after the body was done, the final reveal of the "Body-Off' build! The plan is to have the body and chassis enclosed in one display case, but for now I have the body sitting on the case for the chassis (just for the pics, of course, cant leave it there permanently!).
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_057-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_066-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_060-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_058-jpg
    1/8 Rolls Royce Sedanca "Body-Off" Build-wp_20160408_064-jpg

And there it is, my Body-Off Rolls Royce Sedanca build...

QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Solyrus's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rajen
    Would be great to hear your thoughts and views - all feedback welcome!!

QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Kit
    Pocher
    Beautiful build. Nominated for MOTM and posted to the SMC Facebook page. Cant wait to see your next build...
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Yes very nice build there, great job.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Solyrus's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Rajen
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the endorsement!
    Spurs me on to my next build (as if modellers ever need to be spurred on ...)

As mentioned on my other thread, I am awaiting delivery on my RAE 1/8 Jaguar XK120, though dont think I will start that one right away.

Other current projects awaiting attention: 1932 Alfa Gran Sport Touring - in the style of a street rod.

And a Wrebbit 1/10 Mercedes 500K in paperboard. For a change...

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. hotrodjimmy's Avatar Member
    Name
    jim
    this is an impresiv build
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Pouln's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Poul
    Just saw it now. Really like what you did with it.
    the set up gives the opportunity to show (and look at) the details of what normally would be under the surface.
    Well done!
    Greetings,

Poul
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Twokidsnosleep's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Scott
    Great build, amazing really
    I look forward to a street rod Alfa-interesting concept
    QUOTE QUOTE #12