Builder Last Online: Dec 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 5
      Started: 01-21-16 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Kit Bashed Includes Transkit Attribution
      Build in Progress

[B]GURNEY NUTTING RR PHANTOM II FAUX CABRIOLET[/B]
      [B]CLOSET MODELING[/B]

[B]BUILD THREAD[/B]
      Even though itís not something Iíve done before, Iíve been thinking of starting a build thread for my next model.
      The model will be of a 1933 Gurney Nutting RR Phantom II and will be based on the Pocher RR Sedanca kit. However, I have a large number of changes and scratch-built elements planned so this particular build experience may prove useful to others.
      In addition I now winter in Florida and so my modeling space there is restricted to a roughly 5í x 5í walk-in closet. Thereís a limited array of tools there and no easy way to paint anything, so construction will be a bit of a challenge. But then Iím not alone in having limited modeling space and believe you donít need a full blown workshop to do some serious modeling. So why not give it a try?

[B]GURNEY NUTTING[/B]
      Gurney Nutting was one of the pre-eminent pre-WW II coachbuilders using the Rolls-Royce chassis. Their sleek designs on the shortened Continental chassis were particularly attractive and were the basis for the Pocher Rolls-Royce Sedanca model.

[B]1933 FAUX-CABRIOLET[/B]
      In my opinion, one of their most attractive creations was this faux-cabriolet built in 1933 for Sir Hugo Cunliffe-Owen, chairman of the British-American Tobacco Company:
      Gurney Nutting RR Phantom II Faux Cabriolet-1933-rrphantomii-gn-fauxcab-1-jpg
      Itís a particularly sleek and handsome design which conveys both flair and respectability, something thatís not easy to achieve. It was built on the shorter Continental Phantom II chassis and, despite the appearance, the roof does not fold back, (hence faux-cabriolet) but, instead, has a sunroof.

[B]PLATFORM[/B]
      The Pocher RR kits all use the 144Ē wheelbase Continental chassis so the Sedanca kit would make a good starting point. A few years ago, I had purchased two partially completed (and abandoned) model Sedanacas so they can be the platform for this model.
      I like my models to be replicas; that is historically accurate versions of the original vehicle. That means adding lots of detail and correcting the inaccuracies in the Pocher kits. So this will not be an ordinary Pocher build, quite the opposite.

[B]CHALLENGES & SOLUTIONS[/B]
      Below is the picture on the Pocher RR Sedanca box and, as you can see, the most glaring external differences are the fenders, trunk (or boot) and the spare wheels.
      Gurney Nutting RR Phantom II Faux Cabriolet-pocher-jpg
      Fortunately, Model Motor Cars sells a set of resin Gurney Nutting RR Phantom II Faux Cabriolet fenders for the Amabassador kit. Those fenders are very similar to those on the Gurney Nutting faux cabriolet and I just happen to have a set. So, with some modification, they should be suitable.
      Iíve also been experimenting with 3D printing of parts so Iím confident 3D printing can take care of the spare wheel covers.
      The roof profile is slightly different and the belt line higher, but I figure I can modify the Pocher body to match. And those of you with eagle eyes will note that there are five louvers on the Pocher body, but seven on the Gurney Nutting body. However, with two kit bodies at hand and some cutting and splicing I should be able to get that fixed.

[B]DIFFERENCES vs. THE POCHER KIT[/B]
      Pocher mixed up different generations of Phantom IIs in their kits. So, one of the steps will be to make sure the build will include the correct features for the date on which the prototype was built. The chassis number is 170MY and it came Ďoff-testí (i.e. the chassis was complete) on May 5[SUP]th[/SUP], 1933.

The Pocher engine will require significant modifications as well as the addition of many super-details (such as control linkages) missing from the kit. However many of the individual changes are in a series of build notes that are available on my website at www.jrhscalecars.com under the Phantom II tab. So, at least, Iím very familiar with what has to be done.
      Gurney Nutting RR Phantom II Faux Cabriolet-1933-rrphantomii-gn-fauxcab-2-jpg
      One of the most noticeable changes is the third generation semi-expanding carburetor with its big air cleaner. Fortunately I had built one for my Figoni & Falaschi RR model. I can build another and I now have the option of using 3D printing.
      In the photo you may also have noticed the two vertical cylinders on the left hand side of the firewall next to the steering column. Those are remote hydraulic adjusters for the Andre Hartford friction shock absorbers. The adjustment was by means of a knob on the dashboard. The Hartfords were installed in addition to the regular shock absorbers and were designed to reduce sway when driving at high speed. Indeed, in the original RR factory build notes for this car it states that it will be used ďin the UK. Mainly fast touringĒ. The Figoni & Falaschi RR was also fitted with Hartford shocks (although not with remote adjustment) and I had installed those on the model. They really shouldnít be too much of a challenge. Of course, itís not entirely clear how the hydraulic cylinders are mounted, but Iíll figure something out as I go along.
      Itís not obvious, but the engine has a torque reaction damper mounted between the front of the engine and the radiator. This was left out of the Pocher kit, primarily because the Pocher radiator is too thick. So the radiator will get slimmed down and the damper assembly and its related cross-member added.
      Also, the front shock absorber design used in the Pocher kit was not introduced by RR until July 1933, so this model should have the earlier, vertical-type front shock absorbers that were mounted on the inside of the chassis rails. 3D printing will help with them too.
      This generation of the Phantom II came equipped with the smaller 20 gal (Imp) fuel tank, not the 28 gal tank provided in the Pocher kits. However I had scratch built Gurney Nutting RR Phantom II Faux Cabriolet the smaller tank for my Figoni & Falaschi RR model so I could do so again, although Iíll probably try a 3D printed version first.

Bottom line is that there are a whole bunch of corrections to make and details to add, but no obvious Ďstoppersí. It will be just a matter of time, patience and application.

Still, let me know what you think.

Gurney Nutting RR Phantom II Faux Cabriolet
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Interesting with a 4 cyl. engine, your CAD looks fine. My parents had a traction avant years back and I have 2 kits as I wanted to build one like my parents car, but you know ®build spirits®
    QUOTE QUOTE #62

2. jrhaddock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    John
    Yes, "build spirits".
    How it comes and goes!! Much like creative writing I suppose.

QUOTE QUOTE #63

3. jrhaddock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    John
    Well, it's been four months since my last post, so you may be wondering what's been going on!
    The answer is lots, but, as you will have guessed, I find it difficult to post on a week-by-week basis. For that I apologize.

Still, the rolling chassis, including engine, drive train, etc, is now complete. It has as much historically correct detail as I could manage. I know much of the chassis detail will be covered by the body, but I'd like to think the model really is a replica even if it's 1:8 scale.

Over the next couple of weeks I'll post photos of much of the detail since it may be helpful to other RR Phantom builders. So stay tuned.

QUOTE QUOTE #64

4. jrhaddock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    John
    Just to set the stage, here are two profile pictures of the completed rolling chassis;

Gurney Nutting RR Phantom II Faux Cabriolet-lhsfullprofilecmp-jpg
    and
    Gurney Nutting RR Phantom II Faux Cabriolet-rhs-profile1cmp-jpg

Some of the major changes from the Pocher kit are readily obvious:
    - the fuel tank is the correct 20 gall early version
    - the carburetor is of the semi-expanding type, which includes a large air cleaner
    - the side walls have been removed from the firewall
    - the radiator is shallower (so the torque reaction dampers can be added). This is consistent with RR drawings.
    - proper bonnet rub strips have been added to the firewall and radiator

Last edited by jrhaddock; 08-25-18 at 09:07 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #65

5. petert's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Peter
    Kit
    Pocher
    Lovely job as usual John
    QUOTE QUOTE #66

6. jrhaddock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    John
    Once again it's been a few months since I last posted. but, as you'll see, it doesn't mean I've been idle!
    Work on the Gurney Nutting Phantom II has continued and is now complete.
    Here are a couple of pictures:
    Gurney Nutting RR Phantom II Faux Cabriolet-img_0321cmpd-jpg

Gurney Nutting RR Phantom II Faux Cabriolet-img_0337cmpd-jpg

Gurney Nutting RR Phantom II Faux Cabriolet-img_0302cmpdfront-jpg

Gurney Nutting RR Phantom II Faux Cabriolet-img_0316crpdcmp-jpg

Rather than try to post a lot of photos here I invite you to visit my website http://www.jrhscalecars.com. On the home page there's a link to a build story of the Gurney Nutting Phantom II. It's a 57 page PDF document that describes how the build progress unfolded. It includes lots of photos. Unfortunately I don't know how to attach it here (it's 20MB) otherwise I'd save you the trouble of the extra steps.

John

QUOTE QUOTE #67

7. sjordan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Skip
    Exquisite.
    QUOTE QUOTE #68

8. jrhaddock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    John
    Thank you.

QUOTE QUOTE #69

9. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Congratulation John on your finished RR, perfect build as always, even (sharp) light in fenders and every where, cool.
    Just copy the head adress line and insert:
    http://www.jrhscalecars.com/GNModel-...%2011-8-18.pdf
    QUOTE QUOTE #70

10. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    Hello John,

Very nice work and quite a generous posting! Certainly a service to all modelers working with that kit!

-Don
    -craftsmanship is a lifelong project of
    self-construction and self determination
    QUOTE QUOTE #71

11. jrhaddock's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    John
    Thanks, Egon.
    As always, great to hear from you.

And thanks for the posting advice.
    Here's the link to the PDF build story:
    http://www.jrhscalecars.com/GNModel-...%2011-8-18.pdf