Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/6 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 3
      Started: 11-23-15 Build Revisions: Never  
      Supported Scratch Built Completed

Hello,
      I just wanted to introduce you the Bugatti model which I finished a couple of weeks ago after two year`s intensive building period. The model is completely scratch built Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale , only small screws and nuts are purchased.
      Tires are cast from flexible polyurethane, rims, engine parts etc. machined from Sikaflex (machinable plastics). Chassis made of 0,7 mm thick brass plate and soldered together, and body panels of 0,5 mm aluminum sheet. My intention was to make the model radio controlled, so this is why the rear axle is working as well with the steering, and engine includes a geared electric motor. However until today I have not yet installed the RC electronics.

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-20151020_144347-jpgBugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-20151020_144425-jpgBugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-20151020_145129-jpgBugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-20151021_143402-jpgBugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-20151020_145307-jpg
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. sjordan's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Skip
    Magnificent in every detail. What paint did you use?
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    What a beauty you have done there
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Twokidsnosleep's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Scott
    Holy snap, that is a piece of art. Incredibly impressive build
    I am glad for the soda can picture to give us scale as it looks like a 1:1 Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale car
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. CitroenTA's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Jouko
    Quote Originally Posted by Twokidsnosleep View Post
    Holy snap, that is a piece of art. Incredibly impressive build
    I am glad for the soda can picture to give us scale as it looks like a 1:1 Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale car
    That's not soda, the can contains alcohol Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale .
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. utzelu's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Dan
    Wow, that's an excellent model! Would love to get more details of the built, if you can post.

Did you use any blueprints? From where?
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Matias's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Matti
    Thanks guys for your interest ! The model was painted with old school method using brush. The paint I used is a normal glossy household paint called Miranol. You can buy that at every paint shop in this part of the world. Colour scheme was mixed at the shop after CMC Modelcar`s Bugatti.

Blueprints can be found in Internet. I printed them and had them enlarged by a professional photocopying shop to the scale of 1/6. Additionally we visited a very famous car museum at Mulhouse France, where I took lot of pictures of many Bugattis there; and also a race at Angouleme in France where you can see, hear and smell 1:1 Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale Bugattis competing with each other. Also there I took lot of detail pictures of the cars.

If you are interested, I could shortly describe the process of building the model. I will divide this in various parts, starting with making the wheels.

As always with my models I started the build making the tires. First I was turning the pattern of a half tire in the lathe using Sikaflex block. This was equipped with vinyl letters " Dunlop Cord" and size markings, and the tread pattern milled. From this pattern a silicone rubber mold was made, and final tire halves were cast into this mold using flexible polyuretane.

Pattern, silicone rubber mold and test cast half tire:
    Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-281-jpg

Final cast half tire and a complete one:
    Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-282-jpg

Rims were also cast from Polyuretane. First a pattern was drawn with CAD and milled in a CNC milling machine. Again a silicone rubber mold was made, and final rim halves cast using polyuretane resin Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale . Small details were added into rims and they were glued together with tires. Finally the rims were painted using Mr Metal Aluminium paint.

Pattern and mold for inner and outer half rim:
    Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-283-jpg

Cast half rims:
    Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-285-jpg

Complete wheels:
    Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-289-jpg

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Matias's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Matti
    Next step was to build axles. Because the model was supposed to be radio controlled, axles should be working. Rear axle differential housing was again cast from polyurethane resin Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale , axle tubes and other parts turned from brass, and module 0,5 bewel gears used. The axle itself together with propshaft is 5 mm silver steel

Parts for rear axle:
    Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-267-jpg

Complete axle:
    Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-266-jpg

Painted & wheels installed. Mr Metal color aluminium and stainless steel shades were used and axle was lightly weathered:
    Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-287-jpg

Front axle was made from brass. Brackets for leaf springs were soldered and brake back plates installed using M1.4 screws and nuts:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0038-jpg

Front axle details:
    Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0067-jpg

Front springs were made of 0,7 mm thick brass stripes, which were bound together in the original way:
    Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0145-jpg

And attached to the axle:
    Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0151-jpg

To be continued....

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. SWAGON's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Brandon
    What are the odds that shortly after I found your build on here, this comes up for sale on bringatrailer?!

http://bringatrailer.com/2015/11/24/...atti-type-35b/
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Matias's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Matti
    Next I started to work with the chassis. Parts for chassis rails were drawn with CAD according to original blueprints found in Internet. The parts were then laser cut from 0,7 mm brass plate:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-294-jpg

After this the chassis was soldered together:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0136-jpg

And finally the axles were installed, and we had a rolling chassis:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0166-jpg

Then it was time to concentrate making the shock absorbers, steering gear & other details for the chassis. All these were made of brass and soldered & bolted together.

Front shocks:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0195-jpg

Rear shocks and longitudinal supporting arms:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0198-jpg

Steering gear. Made of simple brass turnings which were soldered and bolted together. This is a dummy part only without any gears. The steering axle goes straight through. My idea was to install a miniservo for turning the steering wheel & axle simultaneously when the main steering servo turns front wheels:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0181-jpg

And finally we had a working running chassis, and we could start thinking, how to build the engine. But this is another story....

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0200-jpg

To be continued....

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Matias's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Matti
    Quote Originally Posted by SWAGON View Post
    What are the odds that shortly after I found your build on here, this comes up for sale on bringatrailer?!

http://bringatrailer.com/2015/11/24/...atti-type-35b/
    Very interesting SWAGON. Thanks for sharing this. It seems that even the replicas are expensive, the real ones are priceless.

It was funny to watch the race in Angoleume in France when the owners of these precious old cars were competing hard with each other at the narrow city racecourse. One of the cars had an engine failure during the race, and it must have cost a fortune to repair it. But there are always these rich people who do what they want without asking the price.

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Matias's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Matti
    Next I had to concentrate myself to build the engine. For long I was wondering, which material to choose, and finally I decided to use the good old Sikaflex plastics. Because the model was supposed to be radio controlled, a drive motor should be installed inside the engine. For motor I selected a good and silent 12V Faulhaber gearmotor, which just passed inside the Bugatti engine.

First the oil pan was drawn with CAD and milled from a solid Sikablok piece. Brass pipes were glued at the bottom of the pan as cooling tubes:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0203-jpg

And above them was a place for the drive motor:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0207-jpg

This was then installed into the car chassis:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0209-jpg

Next it was time to make the cranckcase. This was also drawn with computer and milled from Sikablok:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0226-jpg

Many details like spark plugs, carburettors, oil and water pumps, etc. were fabricated and installed:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0274-jpg

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0462-jpg

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0594-jpg

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0596-jpg

Exhaust pipes were made of 6 mm styrene Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale rod and installed next. All engine parts were painted with brush using Mr Metal Color aluminum, iron and stainless schemes:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0792-jpg

And finally the engine was ready to be installed into the car chassis. It took about 3 months just to build the engine with all details:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0816-jpg

To be continued....

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Twokidsnosleep's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Scott

this is amazing!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Matias's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Matti
    Thanks for watching this Twokidsnosleep!

And now it is time to add some more details like radiator, clutch, gearbox, etc.

First the radiator. It is straightforward brass work, soldered together and chromed in a professional workshop. The "black part" is an etched perforated plate with octagon shape holes found in Internet:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0795-jpg

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0843-jpg

Gearbox was made of Sikablock and equipped with small details. It is a dummy box only without gears and with axle going straight through. Also the universal joints are my own fabrication:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0850-jpg

The clutch consist of many small brass pieces soldered together using solder which melts in different temperatures, not to damage already soldered parts. The brake mechanism is very clever. It is based on roll chains and chain wheels on both sides, which compensate the front/rear brake forces. Left/right compensation is made at the brake pedal, which includes small bewel gears like differential:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0872-jpg

To be continued....

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Matias's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Matti
    Next I started to work with the dashboard including the gauges. For dashboard and firewall plates 1 mm aluminum sheet was used. This was handled first in the milling machine with Dremel Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale steel brush, to make these "rondelles":

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-20141123_095543-jpg

Then the dashboard and firewall were cut in shape and all openings were sawn according to original drawing:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-20141123_095634-jpg

The bigger gauges, clock and rev counter are functional. Clock was made using the quarz mechanism from a small childrens wrist watch; rev counter includes a microservo, which rotates the pointer simultaneously with drive motor`s speed. All pointers for the gauges are etched from nickel silver:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-20150103_171730-jpg

Steering wheel was sawn from 1 mm aluminium plate and covered with wooden circumferences:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-20150103_172502-jpg

And the final detail at the dashboard was a magneto:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-img_0888-jpg

Small gearmotor was built inside the valve gear chest. The purpose of this is to rotate the rev counter and magneto mechanisms on the firewall side. This motor has it`s own electronic speed controller, which works simultaneously with the main motor:

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-20150103_173358-jpg

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-20150719_115135-jpg

And now we are almost there. Only the body panels and final painting are missing, those will be handled next time.

Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale
    Attached Images Attached Images Bugatti 35 in 1/6 scale-20150508_132116-jpg 
    Last edited by Matias; 11-28-15 at 03:17 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15