Close

Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-03-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I think it was Dave who mentioned the Wingrove books a while back. I was able to order "The Complete Car Modeller" issue's one and two from my local book store and they arrived in one week. A Google search shows that these books are easily obtainable. I haven't yet studied them in detail but they are obviously a great source of information.

I've also got "Tabletop Machining" by Joe Martin. This is without a doubt one of the best reference guides for those of us who are planning on doing some lathe and mill work. I highly recommend this book.

If anyone else has any reference information or publications to share, please do so. If there is enough, we'll lean on Don and get him to start a "Library" thread. This could include anything from drawings, plans. measurements and publications.

Rick
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I ordered those two books just yesterday. I used to have a copy of the first book he ever wrote. It almost made me quit modeling.

One of the big questions I always had about pics for reference material was whether or not we can freely catalog pictures of cars we download off the net. It would result in a library that would have just about everything a superdetailer would need for a good and accurate job. The big stumbling block is the copyright laws. I think the best way around that would be to establish a list of website links that we can directly visit and download from that are relatively safe links. It can be set up like the rodder's dictionary. Any thoughts?"
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Those are good points HFC. I'm no expert but the way I understand it is that we should be OK as long as we credit the source, i.e. "Gerald Wingrove's book, The Complete Car Modeller".

Don....any comments?

Rick

Reference Material
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Herman's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Herman
    Gerald Wingrove recently sent me a couple of photos for my website. They can be found here:

http://forum.bugattibuilder.com/phot....php?album=255

His website has even more pictures, but probably smaller. They can be found at www.geraldwingrove.com

As for copyright issues: with my photo website I know I am balancing on the edge of possibilities. However, I keep the option to remove images if the copyright owner does not want them published. It never happened however.

Many photographers and I am aware of the fact that the Internet is an "open" environment. If you do not want anything copied, do not publish it on the Internet.

Gerald Wingrove also wrote a small book about working with the (Unimat) lathe. Also very useful. There are some details on his website.

Any more good books on building car models?
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    The safest way to handle reposting is to get permission from the source. Some sites and publications spell out that they don't want their posts or photos copied for any reason without permission, but I assume that posting a web address to that site (if it's a plublic site) would be O.K. Just use a little common sense....I agree with Herman, if I didn't want to share what I do with everyone...I wouldn't post it. It's one of those grey zones.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I think that posting one or two pictures from another website should be accompanied not only by the owner's name but also the site link like many of us have been doing. This always gives credit to whoever the pic belongs to and directs the viewer to more great pics since many sites contain so many great pics that it would be impossible to post everything. I search the site for any statements that apply to the need for any permission to copy stuff. If we do not use the photos as our own then we should be relatively safe. Still, getting permission to use pictures is not an insurmountable task.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6