Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Oct 2018 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-20-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Some of you members have done a bit of casting Creating masters and casting parts and scratch building, some would like to try. I'm starting this thread so that we have a place to put this info. There are a number of "starter kits" out there for resin Creating masters and casting parts casting Creating masters and casting parts . Let's kick this around for awhile and see if we can get rid of some of the myths and learn something. I'm sure that we have all at one time or another wanted a part that just isn't available.....a set of custom wheels, air cleaners, steering wheels, fans, pulleys etc. A word of advice....don't start with a body! Choose a smaller project and let's teach each other how to do it. We can share our mistakes as well as the good stuff and have some fun...there is plenty of talent and knowledge amongst our members and our fearless leader (Dan) can keep us out of trouble.

Rick is going to get involved in this thread because he's chompin' at the bit for a set of front tires smaller than what's availble in the kits to put a build "in da weeds"......you can never have enough parts and Dan is buried with what he's working on now.

Take it away Rick.........................................
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Mike1981's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Great idea Don, count me in as a student:D
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    This all started with some off site conversations with Don and Dave. For a long time I've wanted to find a way to create some front tires (and a smaller diameter front wheel) that are small enough to work with an "in the weeds" full fendered deuce. I've also chatted with some other modelers who have suggested that we turn tires out of wood and one guy who suggested that we cut the kit tire into four quarters, take a slice out of each and then glue it all back together. I took a drawing to a cnc machinist friend, he can cut us a master, but the cost of programing and run time was out of the question. So, I pleaded with "The Donald" and he agreed to open this new thread.

We have a ton of talent on this site and I hate to imagine the trouble we'd get into if we all lived in the same village. We have members who can paint, shape metal, bend tube and one who creates great cad drawings. We also have a couple of members who have created masters that will be used to make molds for aftermarket parts and bodies, and thats where I'd like to take this thread. We're not going to create any bodies (yet) but I'd really like to encourage those of you who have mastering and molding skills to share your knowledge with us.

I'd like a smaller front wheel and tire, someone else might want a Buick Nailhead and one of you may want a trick center section for an IRS. Whatever it is, I'm asking the "Master Makers" amongst us to take the lead and show us how its done. Teach us how you create a master that will be used to make a part. There's no need to do it all in one post so feel free to do a step by step tutorial, with pictures. Once we've learned the basics of creating a master, then we'll move on to makeing the mold and finally to casting Creating masters and casting parts the part.

So, to the "Master Makers" amongst us, the floor is yours............

Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I mastered the 40 dash but that was pretty easy. One thing I'd like to see discussed is how to make masters like engines. I know how to scratch build Creating masters and casting parts an engine but I have no idea how to do it so it can be cast. This is going to be a really valuable thread. Thanks Don.l:
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I'll start posting some pics of the 392 this weekend and and pass along whatever I can for tips and things to avoid when setting up a master. A number of issues must be addressed when designing a part for casting Creating masters and casting parts that you don't need to be concerned with when doing a one off Creating masters and casting parts , one of the biggest bugaboos is undercutting. The best master ever built isn't much good if you have to destroy the mold to get the part out.
    I put this thread in this section so that it would be easy to find and not disrupt or hi-jack any of the other builds that are going on, so let's keep it in this section and try not to wander too far topic.

Rick is going to try to keep this thread informative and organized...good luck buddy.

Questions, suggestions and build-alongs are more than welcome.
    I'm no expert, just learned by making a lot of mistakes that hopefully you guys can avoid. :D

Creating masters and casting parts
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I have 3 new bodies in the works that I've kept under wraps (Dan doesn't know what they are yet) hee, hee. If there is enough interest in this thread I'll do a step by step on the construction of the masters.
    I'll go ahead and let the cat out of the bag on the first of the three....1927 Ford Tudor Sedan. It will be a tall top so that you can chop it if you like and will have glue in side window panels to convert to a sedan delivery.
    No it won't just drop on a big T kit...it will have it's own frame as part of the kit package.
    Hope to have it in production mid next year.
    It won't be a re-pop of anything that anyone has done before and will be available exclusively through ScaleMotorcars.l:

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    HFC
    How about starting things off by telling us how you mastered the 40 dash. I bought one from Dan and its great.

Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    No problem Rick. The dash was easier than some other parts because it doesn't have to be done in the round like an engine block and undercutting is minimal. First thing I did after all the necessary measurements were done (length, width and height) so that the dash would fit into the deuce was to laminate 5 pieces of 1/4 plastic square rod to make a plate. Although it had the approximate length and width, it still wasn't thick enough. I then glued 4 more pieces of square rod on the back of the plate around the edges to make a shallow box. Now it had the thickness. I then carved the general shape of the dash. I then figured out the dshape of the details and then carved them into the plastic with dremel Creating masters and casting parts burs and sharp hand instruments. The grill part was a challenge since if I did it the way I wanted, I would have undercuts. The grill was simulated by gluing Creating masters and casting parts down very thin rod in the right places to simulate the grill. Other parts like knobs and some levers were left out to be done by the builder because they would have created undercuts. I hope this explanation is clear enough. It's a matter of making a blank larger than the correct dimensions and then carving away the "excess" with my belt sander, Dremel Creating masters and casting parts tool and hand instruments.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Rick...have you checked out the 1/10th RC cars for tires?

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    I have, but I'd like to try to keep a similar tread pattern and tire mfg front and rear for esthetics sake. Unfortunatly our local hobby shop does not have much in the way of r/c parts, like tires.

I'll just keep looking and waiting..........
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Rick, If your thinking of doing mold making i would suggest getting this book.

The Complete Car Modeller by Gerald Wingrove

You may find a copy on e-bay for sale or check your local library on Pg.22
    he discribes how to cast tires and how to make molds for them.
    He is with out a question a Master Modeller.
    I have an idea as to making or should i say Modifying the tires that we have
    but it will take another member willing to make a mold of the orignal and cast
    them in resin Creating masters and casting parts .
    I know by Machineing standards my idea is a little "Primitive" but maybe
    feasable. I'm will to help with the maching but it will take someone to make
    a copy and then to reporduce them once completed.
    Quick idea sketch:
    Attached Images Attached Images Creating masters and casting parts-sketch-frt-tire-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That's a great book. I had no idea he described the tire mold process. I think you can also get the new version from Barnes and Noble or Border's.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Dave

You've put a lot of effort into your post and I really appreciate it. I can see your idea working, but I'm still of the opinion that what we need is a fresh master and a mold to make a tire that is smaller in circumfrence than the kit (T & Deuce) tire.

The main thing here is that we've got people thinking and talking and hopefully something will come of it. I'm trying to track down a copy of "The Complete Car Modeller" issue 1 & 2 so if anyone has an extra copy and would be willing to part with them, please let me know. Or, perhaps one of you would be willing to photo copy the section on creating tires and mailing it out to those of us who are interested.

Rick
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    The master for the wide M&H style slicks is done.....yeah I know they didn't make 'em this wide back then...but they look cool. Yeah the deep reversed rim is done too. I'll see what I can do with an itty bitty front tire. You guys are coming up with some great concepts, but there has to be an "easy, simple way" don't ya think?:confused:

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    You're right Don. The "easy, simple way" is to get you to do it. HO HO HO
    QUOTE QUOTE #15