Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2016 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 07-29-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Ok Jeff heres a brief description on how to make your own solid resin scratchbuilt Resin tyres tyres from scratch!
      the equipment required will be a small precision machine lathe , overhead mill ,
      and dividing head and divisions in this case I used a 40 hole plate.
      The first thing you need to do is to fabricate or machine your master (tyre)
      (1) I made mine from 4mm acrylic scratchbuilt Resin tyres sheets glued and sandwiched together to achive the correct thickness (allow for tyre bulge when calculating tyre width)
      (2) Once the sanwiched plates are dried use a circle scriber and draw a circle to the correct total diameter the tyre should be.
      (3) find exact circle centre and drill a hole to the Diameter of desired mandrel bolt
      (4) cut the circle out allowing a few mm excess material for machining .
      (5) secure the disk to a manderal and machine the disk down to the scribed diameter line.
      now it is time to profile the outer tyre shape this is where a lathe is very important mine isn't one of those you beaut cnc computer wizz bang things But If you have too much money go out and get yourself one tell it what to do and go and have a coffee while it does it all for you!!"""" :D
      I'd prefer to to it the old fashioned way any day !!
      Anyway once you have the basic tyre profile and are happy you will then need to work out the exact total outside rim (wheel) diameter one you have this worked out mark the exact diameter on the tyre while still attached to your manderal in the lathe chuck, bring the tool cutter just in about 1.5mm within the scribed mark you made on the tyre (be careful this means bring the tool cutter in towards the centre ,don't machine all the way through only go half depth.
      If you cut the inner hole for the rim to fit the tyre too big you will not be able to replace the material its always better to under cut and clean up after.
      once you have cut your inner hole unbolt the wheel from the manderal and turn around bolt back on the manderal and machine the other side till you can just see daylight within the machinned wall thickness.
      the reason you do not machine right the way through is If you were to machine right the way through the tyre would fly off and cause damage to both yourself the lathe and the tyre.
      Now carefully unbolt the tyre from the manderal , you should at this point have a basic looking tyre with the center machined out looking like a donut (refer to images 1 and 2)
      I've now given an indepth description on how to make a basic tyre pattern ,
      When it comes to cutting your desired tread pattern you will need an overhead mill and dividing head I have seen this done before freehand but the results are less than pleasing in my mind.
      I'm not going to go into a description on tread cutting but leave the photos to tell the story.The finished tyre can now be used to cast as many hundred tyres as you like!;)
      When it comes time to do the resin scratchbuilt Resin tyres casting scratchbuilt Resin tyres I can't give advise except to say I have done a bit of it but I detest it and even I get someone else to do it for me! ( every man and his dog does it now days) so It shouldnt be hard to find someone to do it for you. Hope this helps.
      Pease note in the photo the tread patterns still need alot of cleaning up (airbubbles etc)

Sean
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    The tutorial of tutorials. That's fantastic Sean. I really appreciate the help. Thanks all over the place. Looks like I gotta get busy.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. fuzzy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Ted aka Fuzzy
    Modelmaker , I see you are using the "old" standby Unimat 3. It's a great little machine and I have had one for about 20 years now. Only drawback is that you can't hog off a lot of material at one time if you are forced to start with large (oversize) materials. Still in all a good solid machine. For replacement drive belts I went to a local shop that rebuilds hydraulic cylinders and purchased "O" rings the same diameter and thickness as the originals for only a buck each. They last a lot longer than originals ,cheaper and stronger to boot.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. I've had my UNIMAT 3 now for about 15 years and it's never failed me !
    I only use it for small milling jobs and very small machining work which I use a collet set, all the larger machining work I do on my MYFORD or COMPACT 5 larger milling work I do on a larger bench mounted Emco Mill unit.
    regarding the belts for the U3 In all the time I've had it I've probably only gone through 6 sets @ $5.00 set not bad going I think.

sean

scratchbuilt Resin tyres
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Sean...the tires (tyres, bonnets, boots, you down under guys sure talk funny) look sterling. Hook up with me off-site sometime and I'll tell ya about a "memorable" experience I had in Sydney.:o
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. :eek: :eek: :eek: :cool:

scratchbuilt Resin tyres
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett
    Sean...the tires (tyres, bonnets, boots, you down under guys sure talk funny) look sterling. Hook up with me off-site sometime and I'll tell ya about a "memorable" experience I had in Sydney.:o
    I was living about 50 miles south of Sydney back in '69. A little town called Warrawong, in the Lake Ilawarra district. Dang, that was a long time ago. I moved here to the States in March of '71. That's when I discovered cars! :)..The gals a bit later...O==\\\\----------o
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. What made you journey all the way to the U.S of A ?

Sean

scratchbuilt Resin tyres
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    I was born in Italy (1960) along with my parents. A year after we moved to Australia where my uncle set my dad up with a job working at the steel mills. My little sister was born there in '66. My grandparents moved from Italy to the States in 1964. A few years down the road, Mom talked dad into moving to the States so mom could be with her parents. That was in March 31, 1971. I didn't know what cold was till we landed here at Detroit Metro Airport. Must have been 18-20 Degrees outside and I was wearing shorts....YIKES!!. BRRRRRRR!!.:(. Being that Australia is in a warm weather climate that I got used to, I guess that didn't go over to well. Anyway, I've living hear ever since...And yes, I did get stung a few times by "blue bottles" back in '67 in the waters of Port Kembla Beach. Those things hurt!!:(. :) O==\\\\---------o
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    O.K. I think I have the hang of this tire thing. I'll be making primarily slicks and front tires. The thicker back tires come later. What is the RPM on your machine, Sean?
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Jeff the slicks sound like a good Idea putting tread on you'll need some pretty expensive equipment anyway the RPM on the unimat is Low speed :2450rpm
    high speed :4000rpm

Sean

scratchbuilt Resin tyres
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I can easily put a groove into the slicks for cheaters. The zig zag tread is another ballgame altogether. Thanks Sean.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Don't remember where I found it but Ive seen a resin scratchbuilt Resin tyres tire with Photo etched tread wrapped around the resin scratchbuilt Resin tyres blank. Then the RTV scratchbuilt Resin tyres mold was made with amazing detail.

For an easy example pick up some of that photo-etched mesh screen from the local hobby shop. A little contact glue and wrap the resin scratchbuilt Resin tyres blank. Instant cross hatch pattern. I cant find a picture but you can get the ideal from this image. Just imagine it extended long enough to wrap all the way around. :rolleyes:

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That sounds like a good idea. I may be able to think up something for styrene scratchbuilt Resin tyres . It would be very labor intensive but the result would be worth it.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Any flexable surface that could be etched would work. Micromark sells a home photoetching kit. :rolleyes:
    QUOTE QUOTE #15