Close

Builder Last Online: Mar 2022 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 0
      Started: 05-02-10 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello to everyone, I'm bill, I'm building a 69 Camaro, I made some corrections on a suspension part and have to make a new mold so I thought
      I'd give a tutorial on molding and casting molding and casting 101 . these first pics are the tools I use, spreading and surgical blade. The parts I will be molding and casting molding and casting 101 are lower A frame and sway-bar links. in the third pic the gates and vents are glued to the parts. The A frames have a gate and a vent, they will be gravity poured. The links will be vacuum filled.
      Photo: suspension 023 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      http://public.fotki.com/bills69camaro/mold-making-and-casting/suspension.html
      Photo: suspension 001 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com

The next few pics show the mold box and mounting the parts. I use 1/4" foam core board to make my boxes. I make the box 3/4" larger than the box on all four sides. I mount the part on the floor of the box and measure the sides, in this case the box will be 3-3/8" long x 3" wide x 3" high. Add it up and you get a piece of foam core 3" x 12-3/4" + 1/2" overlap at the end. I score the foam core panels on one side to the dimensions and fold to make a box with 1/2" extra on the last panel. I then fold to make a box and hot glue all four corners for extra hold. Last I
      hot glue the box to the floor.
      Photo: suspension 004 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 002 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 006 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 007 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com

The next few pics I mix the RTV. I use a platinum base clear RTV, it's easy to see the part for cutting open the mold. The formula for figuring the amount of RTV is length x width x height ÷ 16 x .625. OK 3-3/8" x 3"
      = 10.125 x 3" high = 30.375 ÷ 16 = 1.898 x .625 = 1.186 lbs. to convert .186 to oz. multiply .186 x 16 = 2.976 oz. I round up to 3 oz. so
      we have 1lb. 3oz. Normally you would figure the area of the part and subtract from the RTV total, but the parts are small and the amount of RTV saved would minimal. I make my boxes 1/2" taller and draw a pencil
      line for a fill line, which for this mold is 3". I vacuum the RTV to eliminate
      air bubbles in the mold. The bubbles you see in the mold just poured are
      caused by the pour and are minimal, they rise to the top and disappear.
      Photo: suspension 008 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 010 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 011 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 032 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com

Here the molds are cured for 24hrs. taken out of the box, cleaned and cut open. I wiggle the knife while cutting to get a scalloped cut, this keeps the halves from sliding and helps with registration. The last pic shows
      0090 x 5/16" bolts with the heads cut off.
      Photo: suspension 019 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 020 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 022 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 012 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 014 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com

The next pics show the threaded inserts in the mold. The molds are taped shut with 2" packing tape, funnels made from paper (card stock). The large mold is gravity poured and the small one is vacuumed in a vacuum chamber, the air is pulled out and when the valve is opened on the chamber it sucks the resin into the mold cavity. The last pic shows the molds filled and ready for the pressure pot. I cast under pressure to remove any air bubbles from the part. I added another mold I did earlier
      rubber bushings for the sway-bar links.
      Photo: suspension 015 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 016 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 017 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 018 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com

The last group shows the molds open, the parts taken out, sprue's and vents cut off. I hope this helps some. If there are any questions just ask and I'll try to answer them.
      Photo: suspension 025 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 026 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 028 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com
      Photo: suspension 030 | mold making and casting album | Bills69camaro | Fotki.com

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Really nice work Bill.
    And a great tutuorial.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Ddms's Avatar Member
    I[I] think [/I]I'm done making a set of 1/24 hot molding and casting 101 -rod louvers from styrene molding and casting 101 . I want to cast more copies from resin molding and casting 101 , so I need to make a silicone mold. I've never done this before, so right off I need to know how to prep the styrene molding and casting 101 for molding. For one thing, there are nicks, gouges and scratches that need to be filled. Or sanded off.

What can I use to fill these that won't cause problems with the mold? Putty molding and casting 101 ? My favorite, thick Tamiya molding and casting 101 primer molding and casting 101 ? Or something else entirely, like CA?

Once that's done, will I need to coat the styrene molding and casting 101 with anything to help in releasing the silicone?

Thanks!
    [B]DDMS[/B]
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Ddms,

Follow this link for some casting molding and casting 101 tutorials and also all the materials you would eventully need.

Model Making | Smooth-On, Inc.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. bills69camaro's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    bill
    Ddms,

If this is your first attempt at molding and casting molding and casting 101 the Smooth-on
    link is a great place to start.
    Your casting molding and casting 101 will only be as good as your master, removing the nicks
    and gouges is a good idea! Primer molding and casting 101 , or CA would be good.

Bill

molding and casting 101
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Ddms,
    Be careful with CA if you use it. Some silicones will react with it causing them to not cure molding and casting 101 properly. I've always found a nice smooth coat of Krylon acrylic molding and casting 101 crystal clear paint to cover up any different materials helps me, although any paint or primer molding and casting 101 would probably work the same.
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #6