Close

Builder Last Online: Aug 2014 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-11-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Browsing Ebay and I see one regular seller is now producing a nice track T style grill. That reminded me of something similar I saw at the Sabatini show a few years ago where a guy was makeing grills out of spoons.

If you're wanting a Track T style grill, or something different for your sports car build, have a look in your wife's cuttlery drawer, preferrably not her mothers hand-me-down dinnerware set. If you look at the spoons, you will note that most of them are almost the exact shape of a Track T style grill shell. Now, here's the exciting part......take your Dremel Track T/Sport's Car Grill tool, cut slots in the "grill" of the spoon and when finished, cut off the handle.....voila...you now have a grill shell that, with a little shapeing and some Brasso will work on your model.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I've tried it and it works.

Rick
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Great tip, Rick. I copied this one to tutorials as well as here. Good job.l:
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Here's a photo of how you can turn a spoon into a track T grill. I took this at the Sabatini show a few years ago. I've tried it myself and it works. A large soup or serving spoon is close to 8th scale.

Track T/Sport's Car Grill
    Attached Images Attached Images Track T/Sport's Car Grill-p1010026-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Dang, that's incredible. There are a lot of grill type possibilities with this technique. I'm thinking about a horizontal bar grill with a thicker vertical bar down the middle.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    How do you cut the grooves into it?? Please don't say "Use a mill" 'cause I don't have one.......
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    Have you got a Dremel Track T/Sport's Car Grill and some files?

Track T/Sport's Car Grill
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Yeah, I just did something like this with brass. There has to be a better way!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick
    Here's a photo of how you can turn a spoon into a track T grill. I took this at the Sabatini show a few years ago. I've tried it myself and it works. A large soup or serving spoon is close to 8th scale.
    Just fantastic!
    The simpler the idea, the better the result...
    Remember that our minds are infinite & quantic!

Mario
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I can see using a small cut off disc cutting the rough holes and the needle files as bringing the piece to final form. Then you polish it. Am I close?
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    Jeff thats how I did it, but the part I made was for a mates 1:1 Track T/Sport's Car Grill hotrod. He wanted something fine to cover a hole in his dash so I beat a dish shape into some brass, cut it with a fine disk and cleaned it up with needle files and sand Track T/Sport's Car Grill paper, then polished it.
    Looks ok, but its difficult to get them all uniform working 'free hand'
    QUOTE QUOTE #10