Close

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 1
      Started: 01-21-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built Build in Progress

Hi there!

I'd desided to give some thoughts here for fabrication of car model pars out of the 3d surfaces that can be transferred to 2d cutting patterns by means of 3d software like Rhinoceros 4 and show some minor personal experiments with "English wheel", but basically something kinda of EW that i made from some junk and small ball bearing.

Ok, first of all I've got to tell about the plugin for "Rhinoceros" that called "Squish" that perform unroll of the double curved surfaces into 2d patterns that can be lately formed in whatever.

Rhino itself can be found in torrents....and the plugin to be downloaded here

The 3d element goes well also too if modeled in another 3d application, let say 3DsMax, and then exported to Rhino and squished there. Like this trunk of Peugeot 403, that is known and become famous after TV series about Lt. Columbo.

Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-3ds-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-2-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-1-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-columbo-01-voiture-300x216-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-i114908-jpg

The way the pluings are installed in Rhino is described for example here

And then goes this:

Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-squish-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-squish2-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-squish3-jpg

Click the surface, type "squish" in the command line, choose the settings for unroll, and that's it, you've got nice 2d cutting pattern, that can be exported to dxf or dwg e.t.c.

Than hammering, and all the other stuff to make it look the way it should be. The method just like the way real car patterns can be worked out....

So, Imanaged to get that, out of the scraped air freshener, and a formers, to align the trunk.

Not the pretty ones, but for those experienced ones, I suppose it can be not a big deal to make everthing look smooth....

Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040151-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040152-jpg

....and also this. Porsche 911 wing, and kind off motorcycle wing. The last was the first experiment with the material, that was simply hammered on the iron former....

Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040155-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040153-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040156-jpg

And the smoother/stretcher with the hammer....

Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040875-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040874-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040873-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040872-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040876-jpg

I understand that conventional methods are maybe simpler and easier, when working on the wooden formers, but if this information can be helpful and bring smth new...that was all about... )

Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Sieben's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Sieben
    Thank yoy Don, thats mutual)

Don, I kind of that trying to replicate the methods that different from the "coppers" do ) I do that on purpose, by chosen that metal. I will "cheat" in another way) Thank you for advise, any way have got to give a try to that metals of course for sure)

Another way to work out the sheet by like the incremental forming is involved.

I slide the hammer on the forming die with just a bit of hammering. The metal was chosen a bit different from that is on work. But still quite not bad I guess. The ends of the fender is not properly worked out. Basicaly this tin can be pulled pretty good. But become thin ofcourse.

QUOTE QUOTE #92

2. MODEL A MODEL's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    don
    DEN!

WOW!
    I have watched all your video's and I understand the process, it makes sense to me, BUT, I have never heard of this process before nor imagined it! -I'm familiar with Repousse'(spelling?) working sheet metal over pitch, or some people will work over lead!? But this is more like "Metal Spinning" on a lathe. But its not . . .

You are the SUPER CONECTED MODELLER!

Tomorrow, I'm going to be talking about this with a few engineers.

I imagine that the alloy must be one to work harden very slowly! And thickness must be a concern.

Keep surprising us! -Don

QUOTE QUOTE #93

3. Sieben's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Sieben
    Don, thank you for your kind attention to the topic, and such appraisals.

QUOTE QUOTE #94