Close

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Sep 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 1
      Started: 01-21-14 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported Scratch Built Build in Progress

Hi there!

I'd desided to give some thoughts here for fabrication of car model pars out of the 3d surfaces that can be transferred to 2d cutting patterns by means of 3d software like Rhinoceros 4 and show some minor personal experiments with "English wheel", but basically something kinda of EW that i made from some junk and small ball bearing.

Ok, first of all I've got to tell about the plugin for "Rhinoceros" that called "Squish" that perform unroll of the double curved surfaces into 2d patterns that can be lately formed in whatever.

Rhino itself can be found in torrents....and the plugin to be downloaded here

The 3d element goes well also too if modeled in another 3d application, let say 3DsMax, and then exported to Rhino and squished there. Like this trunk of Peugeot 403, that is known and become famous after TV series about Lt. Columbo.

Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-3ds-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-2-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-1-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-columbo-01-voiture-300x216-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-i114908-jpg

The way the pluings are installed in Rhino is described for example here

And then goes this:

Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-squish-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-squish2-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-squish3-jpg

Click the surface, type "squish" in the command line, choose the settings for unroll, and that's it, you've got nice 2d cutting pattern, that can be exported to dxf or dwg e.t.c.

Than hammering, and all the other stuff to make it look the way it should be. The method just like the way real car patterns can be worked out....

So, Imanaged to get that, out of the scraped air freshener, and a formers, to align the trunk.

Not the pretty ones, but for those experienced ones, I suppose it can be not a big deal to make everthing look smooth....

Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040151-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040152-jpg

....and also this. Porsche 911 wing, and kind off motorcycle wing. The last was the first experiment with the material, that was simply hammered on the iron former....

Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040155-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040153-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040156-jpg

And the smoother/stretcher with the hammer....

Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040875-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040874-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040873-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040872-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-p1040876-jpg

I understand that conventional methods are maybe simpler and easier, when working on the wooden formers, but if this information can be helpful and bring smth new...that was all about... )

Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. MargaritisJB's Avatar Member
    Name
    Margaritis
    Quote Originally Posted by Sieben View Post
    One more thing to add.

The formers, are also of coarse made in 3d like sections. The box around the chassis is required to there further alignment.

Attachment 25432Attachment 25431

I don't know, actually, when working with brass, will someone need this, but whatever.... up to you.
    That's great. Can you please explain me how can I section a 3d model? And what program to use? Also, how can I scale and export them? And how will be able to know the distance between the sections? Thanks!
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Sieben's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Sieben
    General idea can be taken here..........
    The software is 3Dmax. Section tool is used.

Last edited by Sieben; 06-17-14 at 05:11 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. MargaritisJB's Avatar Member
    Name
    Margaritis
    Thank you very much!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Sieben's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Sieben
    Okay, promised - made that too....

QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Sieben's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Sieben

QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. Sieben's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Sieben
    Ok, lets update.

Rear body parts.

Was surprised that, even though, the trunk was formed as the first part at all, long ago without the body, the line between it and a body is almost perfect. It schould be only reshaped more bunchy....

....& a lower roller - small bearing from RC store. Very good for making parts plain.

QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. Sieben's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Sieben
    Keep aligning the trunk a bit. Give some cuts. The gap should be made of course. Will scratch a line and then dremel Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns. ....or just with dremel Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns. , whatever....

QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    the rear body is good looking! Sorry that the pictures are so small...
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. Sieben's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Sieben
    Oh, indeed Roger. Didn't noticed that. Thanks. Must be site settings? In the neighbouring forum they displayed alright in full scale. Will not repost'em here just a link. )

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul....php?t=1138458

QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. Roger Zimmermann's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Roger
    Thanks for the link! I can better appreciate the work you did. Are you silver soldering or soft soldering the various elements?
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. Sieben's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Sieben
    It's simple soft soldering Roger.

Last edited by Sieben; 10-14-14 at 08:53 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. Sieben's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Sieben
    [B] "Bead roller". [/B]

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Lower shaft is waiting for the pinion, get it on the local RC store. Without it when under presure the shaft is blocked but even then such things can be made. I guess that it's quite a satisfying result from that peace of junk )

Last edited by Sieben; 10-25-14 at 03:16 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. utzelu's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Dan
    Thanks for the tutorial on 3D modeling and how it is applied to our hobby. I am also learning and using CAD software as a way to make custom parts for my models so any new information is welcome.

3D printing is also an interesting technology for creating custom parts which are way too difficult to make with traditional methods. For instance I am planning to 3D print a Harley Davidson engine in 1/12 scale for one of my scratch build Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns. projects. It will be unrealistically difficult to make one in brass or plastic otherwise.

Regards,
    DanP
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. Sieben's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Sieben
    Thanks for the tutorial on 3D modeling
    Not so many smth of especiall. Thanks.

3D print. I'd better prefer milling machine. 4-5 D what are they. Way much promissing tools ) But will like to know what you've got from 3d prints for your bikes any way. )

Well. Found out some cool, naked carrosseries shots. And since it's not a "comme il faut" to make metal stuff with cardboard guts out there, as a frame, will have to, decided......why will have to, try to make the complete carroserie. Not only body outer parts. That's why the bead roller, was performed. Guess why...)

Using 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-005-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-011-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-012-jpgUsing 3d software for fabrication of the 2d cutting patterns.-003-jpg

Very good video on 403.

Last edited by Sieben; 11-25-14 at 03:12 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #31