Close

Does anyone knows how to do simulate "fiberglass" texture?
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Does anyone knows how to do simulate "fiberglass" texture? Does anyone knows how to do simulate "fiberglass" texture? Does anyone knows how to do simulate "fiberglass" texture? Does anyone knows how to do simulate "fiberglass" texture? Does anyone knows how to do simulate "fiberglass" texture?
Accepted Payment Types

Builder Last Online: Dec 2013 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-12-13 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

For small scales (1/20 and 1/24) in the past, I used surgical tape but is not the right texture for fiberglass. Fiberglass arrangement of fibers is more distorted than the precise surgical tape fiber arrangement. Can anyone knows how to? Thanks for reading my post.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Zonic...I'm assuming that you are looking to recreate the look of the "unfinished" or "raw" side of a fiber glass panel?

If so, (depending on the scale you're working with)..why not just use the real deal? Fiberglass matt is available in some fairly fine meshes these days - random and woven.
    Simply cut to fit and either adhere it to the backside of the panel or lay it over wet paint......when the adhesive dries, paint it and give it a coat flat clear to seal it.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Zonic2001's Avatar Member
    Name
    Luis
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett View Post
    Zonic...I'm assuming that you are looking to recreate the look of the "unfinished" or "raw" side of a fiber glass panel?

If so, (depending on the scale you're working with)..why not just use the real deal? Fiberglass matt is available in some fairly fine meshes these days - random and woven.
    Simply cut to fit and either adhere it to the backside of the panel or lay it over wet paint......when the adhesive dries, paint it and give it a coat flat clear to seal it.
    To start with, I haven't worked with fiberglass before and haven't seen fiberglass matt in its raw texture. I have seen fiberglass on 1:1 Does anyone knows how to do simulate "fiberglass" texture? cars I raced tho. But don't you think that the 1:1 Does anyone knows how to do simulate "fiberglass" texture? fibers will be too large for the 1/24 or 1/20 scale?

Does anyone knows how to do simulate "fiberglass" texture?
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Perhaps when working with the little cars Zonick you might try try one of the "textured paints" on the market these days or dabbing on some thick paint with a stiff bristle brush.
    Using the actual glass matt is okay for large cars which is usually what we work with here at SMC.......these are just suggestions as I don't normally build much under 1/12th.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. jfonticobal's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Javier
    To simulate raw fiberglass, you can use your own hair (or baby hair) mixed with varnish.
    Last edited by jfonticobal; 12-13-13 at 12:08 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5