Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Aug 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 09-12-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I picked up 3 1oz bottles of Acrylic Mixing paints 101 Pactra Pearl Mixing paints 101 Purple today at a LHS Mixing paints 101 . This paint is a water wash up non-toxic stuff. What I need to know is what type of base coat Mixing paints 101 paint can I use with this stuff?? Enamel Mixing paints 101 of Laquer? And what color would be recommended for that base coat Mixing paints 101 ? Also, would I be able to mix the Pactra paint with Future for the first couple of clear coats? What I'm looking for is a "miles deep" paint job for a Deuce build. This ought to get everyone yackin'... :D
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Hope there is a lot of base coat Mixing paints 101 discussion. I saw Candy Apple Red as an available paint. Does it need a base coat Mixing paints 101 or just apply to primer Mixing paints 101 . On light paints is it important to use white primer Mixing paints 101 instead of grey?
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    I do have some Dupli-Color white laquer primer Mixing paints 101 which I plan on shooting with the airbrush Mixing paints 101 once I tranfer it from the rattle can.

Mixing paints 101
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    I wonder where everyone is hiding tonight???..:)

Mixing paints 101
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    From what I've read, you can spray an acrylic Mixing paints 101 over a lacquer Mixing paints 101 base coat Mixing paints 101 but not the other way around. I also would do a pure acrylic Mixing paints 101 clear coat Mixing paints 101 without the Future since I have no idea how the two will react together. Model Master makes a great acrylic Mixing paints 101 paint but I haven't seen it in rattle cans. They have a primer Mixing paints 101 , base coat Mixing paints 101 , overcoat and three grades of clear (flat, semi and gloss). Same thing is made by Tamiya Mixing paints 101 in a large array of colors and they polish out reall well. The mile deep shine comes from correct paint polishing. Many of the materials we use for 1:1 Mixing paints 101 paint jobs doesn't work well with model paints because the model paint is too soft. I use the really fine grit polishing pads from 3200 all the way to 12000 grit. The shine is really great. The Novus Mixing paints 101 Kit also helps bring the shine as high as you can get it. The first thing I would do however is try mixing paints and spraying it onto a piece of scrap or a spare body to see what it will do. I saved a lot of models that way from paint suicide. Hope this helps.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Thanks Jeff. :)

Mixing paints 101
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by sydeem
    Hope there is a lot of base coat Mixing paints 101 discussion. I saw Candy Apple Red as an available paint. Does it need a base coat Mixing paints 101 or just apply to primer Mixing paints 101 . On light paints is it important to use white primer Mixing paints 101 instead of grey?
    Candy colors are transparent and MUST have a base coat Mixing paints 101 .... metallic Mixing paints 101 gold or silver are the popular choices. Remember though that any flaws or defects in the base coat Mixing paints 101 will show up like crazy in your finish coats. The more coats you apply the darker your finish will be....Do all the parts at the same time as it's very difficult to match candy paint Mixing paints 101 if you do the body and go back later and to try to match a hood or a door.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    You can put almost anything over cured lacquer Mixing paints 101 or epoxy Mixing paints 101 (enamel, water base, oil base, etc.) Lacquer Mixing paints 101 is what's called a HOT Mixing paints 101 paint...it will breakdown enamel Mixing paints 101 , when applied over it. Enamel Mixing paints 101 forms a skin as it dries....from the outside in, that's why some enamels are baked. Lacquer Mixing paints 101 has a flash Mixing paints 101 point and dries very rapidly....that's what causes a lot of the problem.....rule of thumb, don't use a fast (or hot Mixing paints 101 ) drying paint over one that dries slowly. If you aren't sure what the base coat Mixing paints 101 is....don't use lacquer Mixing paints 101 as a top coat.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Great tip , Don. I forgot to answer that one. One thing I wanted to add is that you can very easily destroy your candy coat if you sand Mixing paints 101 it too much. One thing I do which I think I may have mentioned in another thread somewhere that when you sand Mixing paints 101 your candy coat and thin out the thickness of the coat, you also make your paint lighter at all the high spots like fender tops , hoods and anything with an edge. I solve that problem by making sure my final candy coat has been gently sanded to remove dust and surface defects without removing too much paint and keeping the color stable. Then I shoot several coats of clear on it so that I'm polishing the clear coat Mixing paints 101 , not the color coat. That way if I thin out the clear [U]slightly[/U], it won't affect the color. Candy paint Mixing paints 101 jobs take a bit of practice but can definitely be mastered without too much hassle. If you're not really experienced with painting oin general, especially on the huge things we work on, practice it on scrap bodies to see what you can do and go from there. Don't use a proposed masterpiece as your first attempt. That's what I did and man, was I not happy.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    I tried to spray some rattle can metalizer Mixing paints 101 over primer Mixing paints 101 and got a crazed finish even after reading the above. Forgot to check primer Mixing paints 101 and see it was enamel Mixing paints 101 . So where do I get lacquer Mixing paints 101 primer Mixing paints 101 or do you spray lacquer Mixing paints 101 on the plastic?

Also - does this go for Alclad Mixing paints 101 ? It must also be a lacquer Mixing paints 101 . What is a good primer Mixing paints 101 for that?
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    This is some GREAT STUFF guys!!! l: l: Thanks! I already mixed a little bit of that purple paint with some Future. I plan on using this batch after I have airbrushed 3 er 4 coats of the purple straight out of the bottle. Once it's dry and I'm ready to apply the clear coats, the first couple will be with my 40/60 mix of paint and Future. Once this is done, I'll add another mixture of 30/70 ratio and so forth and so forth. Once it's all dry after about a couple weeks, I'll airbrush Mixing paints 101 the body with a few coats of clear enamel Mixing paints 101 fer top coats.... or straight Future... I'm not sure yet. :confused: Like you said Jeff... I could use this idea on a 1/25 scale body first and see how it turns out. :)

Mixing paints 101
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Guido....give that stuff plenty of dry time and for your final coat lose the enamel Mixing paints 101 . Let me suggest either stay with the futura or go with a poly finish coat. Clear enamel Mixing paints 101 won't bond to the futura...it will just sit on top and yellow with age. When ya got it lookin' real fine...polish it out with Mother's car polish.......not the wax, the wipe on wipe off stuff.l:
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Got ya Don!!... Thanks buddy! l:

Mixing paints 101
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey sydeem. If you want to put down a lacquer Mixing paints 101 , Tamiya Mixing paints 101 makes one primer Mixing paints 101 which is pretty good and Modelmaster makes one for it's lacquer Mixing paints 101 line. I've used Duplicolor with great success as well as Plasti-kote. I'm about to try House of Kolor Black Gold paints which is a pretty hot Mixing paints 101 type of paint. I found the secret to using the hot Mixing paints 101 paints on plastic from an article or tutorial by Alex Kustov who to me is a master painter on models. First, the body must be prepared as usual. Next, I spray on a light mist coat of primer Mixing paints 101 not even caring that I've got complete coverage and letting it dry well. ( A few hours) Next I spray on a few more mist coats Mixing paints 101 until the whole model is covered allowing each coat to dry well. Once I'm sure that's completely dry, I spray on a wet coat Mixing paints 101 and let that dry overnight at the earliest. I've been known to let it go 2 or 3 days. The purpose for the long procedure and the drying times is to make sure first that only the most minimal amount of solvent gets to the plastic thus minimizing crazing Mixing paints 101 . The fully dry lacquer Mixing paints 101 is more resistant to the next layer of solvent being sprayed on the model. It then acts like a barrier against solvent getting to the plastic. I also sand Mixing paints 101 lightly with 2000 grit between each coat to flatten out any light isolated crazing Mixing paints 101 . The reason I put on a number of thin coats rather than a heavy coat is so that again there is less solvent to mess up the previous coat. Once the primer Mixing paints 101 is well dried, ( I usually wait a week for drying. I'm wimpy:o ) The last primer Mixing paints 101 coats I apply are white in the case of light colors. If I'm doing a candy, then I'll use white, silver, aluminum, platinum or gold depending on how I want the result to look like. Each new paint type I.E. primer Mixing paints 101 , base coat Mixing paints 101 , color coat etc. should be sprayed on exactly like the primer Mixing paints 101 . The one reason why I don't mix something foreign with my paint is I have no idea how the hot Mixing paints 101 paint will react with it and I'm too scared to try it on one of my good projects. In my hands, it looks like the traditional approach works the best while the experiments usually wind up belonging in a toilet.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    This is some GREAT STUFF Jeff l:. Keep it coming!! Everybody here could use this info fer future projects. Thanks again!

Mixing paints 101
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #15