Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Olds Rocket V8

Builder Last Online: Feb 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-12-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I'm going to continue showing the Olds Rocket in it's own thread. The first part is in the "My first real scratchbuild" thread. I'll also be moving the older pictures here too.

This is the T10 tranny completed except for all the linkages and all those little nuts and bolts for attachment.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. fuzzy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Ted aka Fuzzy
    HFC that looks real good.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks fuzzy. It's my first attempt at a transmission. The next one will go to Dan for duplication. Here are some shots with the bell housing attached. I wasn't sure which pic is better so I did both. I wanted this to look like it's been used a bunch.

Criticism please.

Olds Rocket V8
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Looking good Jeff, when you get ready to do the shift linkage Plastruct makes small dia. rod with a solid wire core, it bends great and holds it's shape.
    I like it because it takes paint well and can be finished the same way you would do plastic. Did you do the tranny by yourself or did ya get SuperModler to help you out?:) :D :D
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I deed it aww by mytewf. I got some of that wire rod. I was thinking of making the linkages out of some brass, alluminum or tin. If I don't succeed with it, back to the styrene Olds Rocket V8 stuff.

Olds Rocket V8
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    Thanks fuzzy. It's my first attempt at a transmission. The next one will go to Dan for duplication. Here are some shots with the bell housing attached. I wasn't sure which pic is better so I did both. I wanted this to look like it's been used a bunch.

Criticism please.
    Hi Jeff. Nice job on da T-10 Trans.. For starters, I'm not the type to criticize. Heck, I'm learning alot from you guys.:). I would like to toss in my 2 cents worth though.. I had this idea a while back about using a splined metal axle from an older monogram kit as an output shaft. Thought maybe you'd want to give that a try. You or someone else were thinking about scratch building a trans yoke in 1/8 scale. Thought maybe this would be an idea to attach the yoke too. Hint Hint!.:)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Not a bad ideal and it really wouldn't change anything as far as a new casting Olds Rocket V8 would go. By the Jeff. NICE JOB !!! l: l: l:
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I'm impressed, great job, I really like the details especially the re-enforcing ribs on the bell housing and the indents for the bolts going thru the back of the block. Keith 88proof.:D
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks guys for the kind words. My biggest problem is I have to rely on you guys since I've never been around these parts. TI'm lucky I found where the fuel goes in the car in the first place. The net is good for research but nothing beats having the real thing right there. I was going to do the splined thing but I saw so many examples without the splines so I picked an example and went with it. It was also like the one from the vette kit.

Olds Rocket V8
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaleMotorcars
    Not a bad ideal and it really wouldn't change anything as far as a new casting Olds Rocket V8 would go. By the Jeff. NICE JOB !!! l: l: l:
    Your right Dan!...Sorry!..:(
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Oooh! I almost forgot. Hey Guido, the t10 tranny can be made in two pieces so the tail portion can be interchanged with different shaped pieces. That way, it goes together like thereal thing. Second, I already am planning to make the yoke. I've got some good pics I took at the NSRA show and will add that part after I scratchbuild the S.Co.T. blower and intake manifold. I'm making an open drive shaft which hopefully will look right.

Olds Rocket V8
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. fuzzy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Ted aka Fuzzy
    HFC ,the way it looks in these pics is spot on for a trans thats just been removed after years of use/abuse. The dark areas around the seams and sidecover look like its been kinda cleaned up of all the grease and oil from a leaker.Reminds me of pulling the rock crusher out of my old 68 goat and douseing with gas and scrubbing with an old paintbrush.Even if its a first piece it's great looking. The feedback of the yoke and interchangeable tailshafts is something I missed,duh. Gettin old and workin to much. I'd be interested in one when it becomes available in resin Olds Rocket V8 .
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Ahhhhh, the old M-22.. Noisy first gear wasn't it?? Had one in one of my '69 Camaros. Turned around and sold that trans to some guy with a '66 Vette Roadster with a big block. I got more for the trans than what I paid on the Camaro. :D
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Us oldies refer to the M-22 as the "Rock Crusher". :)
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey fuzzy, thanks for the vote of confidence. The way you described what my trannt looked like was exactly how it was made, used and cleaned up for the most part. The model it's going into will be a clean, classy rod but it will have been driven, not stored in a trailer. It should look like it drove to and from the rod show.

Olds Rocket V8
    QUOTE QUOTE #15