Close

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2022 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (1 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 2
      Started: 02-15-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

This build will be intended to aquaint those interested in working with brass. I will also keep it simple so as no sophisticated equipment is required. Everything will be hand built with hand tools. So of course if you have equipment you can build quicker. This will be a 1/8th scale Model T racer when completed. I have a picture posted in another thread. And I will find tune as I post.

Brass Model T Tutorial by XKen

Build Photos

Brass Model T Tutorial by XKen-model_t_finished_car_15-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Looks like the price went up a few year s back it was only $20. Put a wish list together and maybe we can combine a shipment and split it. PM me if your intersted. There is a couple of things I might get as well.

This seems to be the standard rate now for UPS, FedEX or US. Mail. MicroMark has the same fee identified on some of their products as well. Got to love free enterprise.

Ken

2. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    After meeting with the sound board person he indicated that there was plenty of space to put all the components including a 9V battery. So after much deliberation and even involving my wife in the process we decided to cut down the height of the trunk. In typical wife fashion she said after looking at it and the only two pictures from the museum she said..."It's a model cut it down, so what if the demesions are not the same." We decided on 1/8" off the lid and 1/2" off the base, and it does look better.

Here I am adding the brass frame work using the base as a fixture and soldering right on top of it. This is when a hot Brass Model T Tutorial by XKen iron comes into play and l liquid flux, the only damage is scorched corners which in the end will be sanded off. After each section of soldering the box was removed from the frame and cleaned with acetone using a q-tip to wipe. These will all be butt joints so the box is the fixture.

Here the box is out of the frame and the flux cleaned off, this will happen many times.

Here is an image test fitting to car showing the base frame work and start of the lid frame. In this shot I did not use the close up setting on the camera to eliminate distortion and instead used the normal and zoomed in a little. ;';;';

Here is a rough close up of the hinge using the same method as described to make the hood hinges only annealed .010" brass rather than aluminum. The test pin is 1/32" and brass rivets soldered in place. The hole in the lid hinge section is a rabbit hole solder joint to solder the hinge section to the frame while in place pinned to the lower hinge.

Here is the test of the hinges, so now the lid frame work can continue and the top tray in place minus the end lifting handles. The battery and sound board will be below the tray. George there is your spark plug wrench in the tray, I will have to make more tools down the road.

Ken

3. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here I am finishing up the brass framework. I am building it separate to facilitate painting of the trunk.

Here is a close up of the front clasp to hold and secure things. My wife was disappointed that I did not make a working lock.

Here is the frame skeleton, it looks more complicated than it really is. The real challenge is all the butt soldering which requires tight fits at all joints to get proper strength. I now just need to add the handle connections.

I moved on to the carrier, here the support arm size was dictated by the need to open the lid. So the height of the arm is such that the demension from the top of the arm to the base is the same as from the bottom of the trunk to the lid opening. When the lid is open it rests on the top of the arm that indexs into the car attachment.

Here the trunk has a working coat of satin black that will cure for a while prior to the final coat.

Here is a side view. The seats are just set in place for reference.

Now to clean up the brass frame and add the carry handles (leather) to the trunk and finish the inside.

Ken

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Thank you for the feedback on the cut down trunk. It does in fact look much better and compliment the car. Here are the wrap up details for the trunk, it just now needs to be wet sanded a final paint on it.

Here is the finished carrier structure, bolt holes were drilled and tapped on the two side crossmemer to hold the trunk in place. The entire assembly was just lifted off once at the track.

Here is an image of it sitting on the ground showing the lid open resting on the frame arm.

Here is a closeup of the leather carry handles added to each end of the trunk frame. The strap retainers were cut from rectangle tube and soldered to plate with the plate then soldered to the frame.

Here are some spares in the top tray.

Here is an image of the foot stirup. This is where the passenger put his right foot while his left straddled the coil box compartment and hung on for dear life. A practical solution carried over from horse technology; simple and effective.

Now to finish up the gas caps, etc.

Ken

5. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here is the last major detail, the gas cap retaining chain. I drilled 1/32" hole in each gas cap and inserted a 28 gauge wire into the last chain link and twisted a section and inserted it into the cap hole and soldered in place. The bent the straight retaining end that drops into the tank. When the cap is removed it stay handy and close by.

Here it is in action.

Now to take some overall images of the car.

Ken

6. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Here are some overall pictures of the assembled Model T Racer. At this point I am thinking that this tutorial is done. In looking back I see that my first post for this thread was February 15, 2009, almost a year ago. The model will now be disassembled cleaned up and polished with a few minor details to be completed such as adding rivets to the trunk and seats etc. But nothing that has not already been explained.

I wish to thank all for their input, help, support and patience throughout this tutorial and build. This was my first scratch build Brass Model T Tutorial by XKen of a car and I personally found it rewarding and enjoyable. I do hope some of you have learned a little and will venture into using brass as a building medium. Should anyone have a question about something that needs more clarification please feel free to contact me.

This site is truly a great resource for all levels and types of model builders and I enjoy looking at the endevors of other builders and learn from them as well. Everyone keep up the great work and share your skills and knowledge.

Ken