Close

Thread: Wash-away?

Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 10-14-05 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Anybody familiar with a product called WASH-AWAY? It's supposed to strip paint or chrome in minutes instead of hours, safe for styrene Wash-away? and resin Wash-away? , not smelly or horribly unsafe, water clean up and can be reused. I think I read it was available at model railroad shops. :confused:
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    The company is Poly S or Poly Scale, they make it, it comes in a pint or quart can. Poly S makes decal Wash-away? restorer, windshield glue, decal Wash-away? maker, lots of products in small 1 or 2 oz bottles, most run $2.00 each. What I remove chrome with is Easy-Off over cleaner, the kind in a spray can, spray it on, let it sit a few minutes and wash off under hot Wash-away? water with a tooth brush and Dawn dish soap. It also works great on paint too. I've stripped hundreds of old models from the 50's to 70's with it and never had a problem. The Poly Scale Coat Remover runs about 14 bucks a can. It works but is slow depending on the color and layers of paint. Keith Scoviak. :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Keith, what preparation of Easy Off have you been using? I've been using the stuff with the blue cap. It seems to be a bit safer that the one with the yellow cap and still removes the chrome pretty well. One of my hygienists cleaned her oven with the stuff with the yellow cap and bumped her arm into it. It looked like she stuck her arm in an acid bath and she said it hurt like h#%%. :eek: I've had the other stuff on me but no problems noted.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Hi, well call me crazy the yellow cap is my favorite. I use it outside on an old cookie sheet. Rubber gloves are good to wear if you buy the thinker yellow or green ones like you'de use to wash dishes. The latex surgical gloves will tear and get attacked by the stuff. I usually don't wear any since I rinse it off under running water. I like to use it outside because of the fumes. Then bring it into the work sink and clean them off. Another idea is use a screen collendar like you use to rinse fruit and put the parts in it and then spray them with Easy-Off. Then rinse them, no handling until they are clean. Keith Scoviak. :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I just went and got a can with the yellow cap. I'll take a whack at it this weekend. Thanks Keith. I also went and got some bandages and antiseptic just in case. :confused:
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Protect you eyes if you feel you need to, by the way if you don't use the bandages, they won't go to waste. With Haloween around the corner dress some kid up as the mummy. Keith Scoviak. :eek:
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett
    Anybody familiar with a product called WASH-AWAY? It's supposed to strip paint or chrome in minutes instead of hours, safe for styrene Wash-away? and resin Wash-away? , not smelly or horribly unsafe, water clean up and can be reused. I think I read it was available at model railroad shops. :confused:
    It took a while but I found it...Scalecoat Washaway. It's about 8 bucks a bottle but a lot safer and cleaner than what we've been using. It's avialable on line or hobby railroad shops.

If you are using brake fluid etc. please dispose of that stuff properly....not down the drain.

Wash-away?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Good find, Don, Does it get rid of that yellow undercoating on chrome parts?
    QUOTE QUOTE #8