Thread: Twisted Spokes

Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 06-05-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

O.K. let's put thoughts about twisted spokes for wire wheels here.:o
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    OK I'm with Glu in this. The best way would be with a full length of wire.

Don, did ya ever figure out just how long 36 spokes on four 1/8 scale wheels is. Something like 24 feet +-.

First you need the stock. I don't know about your area but I haven't a clue where to get a 24 foot long piece of hex wire so I'm thinking what about a pair of dies and make your own. Shouldn't be that hard to do. if you use a soft stock like brass, aluminum or copper. Once you get the wire its a straight forward deal with one end in a vise the other in a drill and keep it pulled tight while slowly twisting it.

I would think the copper or brass could be chrome plated Twisted Spokes afterwords.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. fuzzy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Ted aka Fuzzy
    Try a company named Contenti. They have drawplates in different styles. Basicly all you do is pull material thru the opening and it scrapes some metal off and compacts it also at the same time . You pull it thru a series of smaller and smaller openings till you get the size you need.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Altster's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Garrett
    twisted spokes for wire wheels here.:o
    Oh....I thought you were going to talk about a Rock & Roll Band that I once played with (NOT!)
    [b]Altster[/b]

[b]:) :) I love the aroma of glue & paint early in the morning![/b] :) :)

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ic%20Modeling/
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Ok my 2 cent worth here ! I've been thinking about this all day and this is what I come up with,first of all you'll need to find enough material , Daniel was right about 24 feet should do it I use approx 20 odd feet to lace 4 x 36 spoke per wheel 1/8 scale wheels .
    To twist them my thoughts are to mount a length of wire between the tail stock and headstock chuck in a lathe for hex wire use a 3 jaw chuck and for octag wire you will need to use a 4 jaw chuck to clamp the stuff securely next take up the tention of the wire and make sure the ends are firmly clamped either end the trick to ensuring you get an even twisting pattern is not to tighten the tail stock securing nut just take up the slack so the tail stock can slide on the lathe bed without it chattering on the bed as it slides along the bed the wire is twisting and becoming shorter.
    If using brass (recomended) I would very lightly heat the full length of the wire lengths while they are still secured in the lathe, this method will ensure the wire retains it's shape once removed from it's mounts.
    The entire wheel assembly can be "nickel plated Twisted Spokes " to give a chromed look after completion, I sooo hate the term "chrome plating" guys we are modelmakers not 1/1 Twisted Spokes car builders at least on this site anyway:D

Mate if your not sure send me a couple of 600mm lengths and I'll give it a go for you .

P.S It is good to be giving scratchbuilding advise again started to think you guys forgot about me !!:p :D
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Great input guys, fuzzy...the draw plate suggestion never crossed my mind. If I could fix both ends of the wire and rotate the draw plate that would solve the problem, but that's out of the question. I will try using them to make some stock. Dan, I tried a drill, can't control the number of rotations even at slow speeds. Modelmaker, I think you may have found the hidden bugaboo I was running into....I didn't factor in the wire getting shorter as it was twisted...Duh. Allowing one end to slip in a lathe..........now that sounds like it might work. Thanks for all the help guys.:D

Twisted Spokes
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Now if you could only order them in 1/8.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    That's what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twisted Spokes
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    You know that looks more like square stock to me.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Don't care.....I want at least hex. :p

Twisted Spokes
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. fuzzy's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Ted aka Fuzzy
    Do you have access to an old "eggbeater " handcrank type handrill? Just a thought.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Not a bad idea fuzzy....but I'm gonna try the lathe and turn it by hand, that way I can count the number of turns.;)

Twisted Spokes
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Hey Don hows those twisted spoke wheels coming along ? it's been a while since you started this thread , you haven't given up on them have you ?

Sean
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Nope.......just finishing some other projects and gathering materials for the coach work (wood body).

Twisted Spokes
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Ok let me know when you start them I'm looking forward to seeing them the concept sounds interesting !

Sean
    QUOTE QUOTE #15