Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 05-18-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I just got enough done to take a picture of the Caddy engine block. The defects have not been filled yet and many of the detail parts are not done. You can see the raw push rod receptacles which will get aluminum tubes and steel wires for the push rods. It's going to have a crank, cam shaft, pistons and whatever I can find to throw in. Hopefully I can make it so I can remove the outer parts to show the innerds although it may become difficult to do once the engine is in the engine bay. Don't know yet. Here's the first pics. More to come.

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Major kudos Jeff........you're smokin 'em now! Where you been all this time? The artist in you was hiding....let that puppy out to play, for what it's worth I'm very impressed! Guess I'm going to have to see what I can do just to keep up.:D :D :D :D :D
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    That is gorgeous. So when are you going to cast the Caddilac 16? ;)
    When I was young I used to say "[I]When I grow up I'm going to be somebody!"
    [/I]
    I now realize I should have been more specific.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks guys. This is a real excursion into new territory. The v-16 comes after the Ford flathead. I may even do the Caddy flathead but I haven't seen anywhere that tells if that thing had the power to be hot HFC's 1/8 scale Cadillac rodded. Heck, if they can pump a Ford flathead to over 300 hp, the Cad Flathead must be workable too.

HFC's 1/8 scale Cadillac
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    Jeff - I think you should do the engine for Enzo's Revenge. ;)
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. docwatson1938's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Name
    Doc.
    WOW, :eek: just awesome jeff!!
    Doc.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Me do the engine?? You did pretty darn good yourself. I doubt I can improve on your work. What is your casting HFC's 1/8 scale Cadillac technique? For my way, I'd need about $600 bucks worth of casting HFC's 1/8 scale Cadillac equipment.

HFC's 1/8 scale Cadillac
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Gluhead's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Right on, Jeff! You are wayyyyy ahead of me...I've been sidetracked for the last couple weeks.

Glu
    [FONT=Arial]Once around the Sun, cruising, climbing. Jupiter cyclops winks at me, yeah, he knows who's driving. Hit neutral in the tail of a comet. Let the vortex pull my weight. Push the seat back a little lower. Watch light bend in the blower. Planets align. A king is born. Dodge Swinger. Jesus on the dashboard.[/FONT]
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Here's the next part of the Caddy engine. The basic block has been done, the defects filled and smoothed and then primed and sprayed with the cast iron texture. When it's dry, I'll shoot more pics of it. In the meantime, here's the cam shaft I have after 3 attempts to get it down. BMF HFC's 1/8 scale Cadillac is what I used for the working surface of the cams.

This will be visible since I'm making the oil pan removable. Next comes the crank and pistons.

HFC's 1/8 scale Cadillac
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Amazing job on the camshaft Jeff, but you won't be able to see it by removing the oil pan. The crankshaft and main bearing caps live in there.:D
    Are you doing pushrods and lifters too? That huge magnifier of yours must be getting a work out. Terrifc piece of work even if it isn't readily visible.:)
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Andym's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Andy
    HFC - this is absolutely stunning. To me, this is the most beautiful part of any automobile. Really nice work.

Andy.
    [/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Yep, I know. The crank, pistons pushrod and everything is going in. I'm doing it this way for several reasons. First of all, I got the idea to do all the parts like this from AndyM. He puts these parts in regardless of whether or not they will show. The photos actually document what went into the build. Second, this method teaches me more about how these mills are put together and what makes them run like they do. I get alot more out of it when I actually see where these things go and what they go next to. Third, it gives me a better idea what I need to do to make that 1/4 scale flathead. It will also sharpen the scratch building process for me by making me figure out how to make things fit. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

HFC's 1/8 scale Cadillac
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Here's a couple more shots of the progress. Check out the main galleries in the customs under construction. All the progress shots are in there as well as my own gallery.

The block is painted dark blue, the inner surface iand the cylinder banks are done with titanium buffing metalizer HFC's 1/8 scale Cadillac polished with SNJ metal.

The other thing I wanted to mention that in my last post, I was responding to Don's post, the one before Andy's. Andy snuck in between them with his gracious compliment when I wasn't looking and it looks like I was being egotistical. Not so. I have absolutely no ego whatsoever and I never will again. My ex wife and my ex boss saw to that nicely. That's why I have to eat crayons and call out for supermodeler. :p :p :p

HFC's 1/8 scale Cadillac
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Gluhead's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Jeff....WOW!

That's really comin' along well. Be proud if what yer doin', and keep it up.

Screw the ex's. I'm close with my last one but mortal enemies with the first one. They can do and say what they want...but in the end all they have to offer is their own perspective, and just because they think they're right doesn't make it so.

Here...have a couple orange crayons on me. :)

Glu
    [FONT=Arial]Once around the Sun, cruising, climbing. Jupiter cyclops winks at me, yeah, he knows who's driving. Hit neutral in the tail of a comet. Let the vortex pull my weight. Push the seat back a little lower. Watch light bend in the blower. Planets align. A king is born. Dodge Swinger. Jesus on the dashboard.[/FONT]
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Mild mannered dentist by day....supermodeler in the afternoon....you do me proud grasshopper..............lose the cut line that you have as a signature, you're turning me green with envy. You will actually "finish" the caddy engine.
    You've just obtained your orange (crayon) belt. Next is purple...scary but it can be done.:D
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #15