Close

Red plastic and the new Big T
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Red plastic and the new Big T Red plastic and the new Big T Red plastic and the new Big T Red plastic and the new Big T Red plastic and the new Big T
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Nov 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 03-12-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Here's a warning for those of you who haven't painted the new Big T....Get a good primer Red plastic and the new Big T sealer or that red plastic wil bleed through. I have 4 coats of Duplicolor gray sealer primer Red plastic and the new Big T on mine and the red still shows. I have never seen red plastic bleed through this bad in all my modeling years. Usually a little primer Red plastic and the new Big T stops it, but not this time!
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Not a new problem.....it has happened with the yellow deuce at times. I haven't had any bleed through problems with the Testors rattle cans of primer Red plastic and the new Big T . I'm sure some of the other guys have suggestions on this. Is your primer Red plastic and the new Big T enamel Red plastic and the new Big T ? Don't use a lacquer Red plastic and the new Big T primer Red plastic and the new Big T , it's too hot Red plastic and the new Big T .
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    One thing I learned from SA was first to spray down a few layers of Tamiya Red plastic and the new Big T white primer Red plastic and the new Big T , then shoot a few coats of a good silver laquer like you were going to do a candy color. Then shoot some more white primer Red plastic and the new Big T and then shoot your chosen color. The silver should be able to block the red. I wonder if you spray the Duplicolor Black primer Red plastic and the new Big T and follow that with gray and white primer Red plastic and the new Big T if that will work o.k. What color are you going to use?? The darker the better.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Gluhead's Avatar Update Profile Please
    na na na naaa naa na na naa na na na...de delleeedeee...da da da da

I see a red T and I want to paint it bla~ack...

Man it's hard to carry a tune in here...

Black Primer Red plastic and the new Big T . Couple coats. Then, whatever...just make sure that everything ya use is compatible.

Glu
    Once around the Sun, cruising, climbing. Jupiter cyclops winks at me, yeah, he knows who's driving. Hit neutral in the tail of a comet. Let the vortex pull my weight. Push the seat back a little lower. Watch light bend in the blower. Planets align. A king is born. Dodge Swinger. Jesus on the dashboard.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Privateer's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluhead

Black Primer Red plastic and the new Big T . Couple coats. Then, whatever...just make sure that everything ya use is compatible.

Glu

OH GREAT!!! Now I'll have that tune stuck in my head all night!:eek:

:cool: HIGH SPEED-LOW DRAG MODELS!:cool: http://highspeedlowdragmodels.bravehost.com/index.html
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    I have a question for ya Privateer. Where abouts on the T body did the plastic leak through?? Was it in the area around the inner lip of the wheel wells and around the bottom edge of the body?? Or is it all over the Body shell?? I need to know what prep work you did on the body before you shot the first primer Red plastic and the new Big T coat. Please let us know. There are ways we can prevent this problem.:D Guido
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluhead

Glu
    Love that classic Stones tune.:D Guido
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Privateer's Avatar Active Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuces-wild
    I have a question for ya Privateer. Where abouts on the T body did the plastic leak through?? Was it in the area around the inner lip of the wheel wells and around the bottom edge of the body?? Or is it all over the Body shell?? I need to know what prep work you did on the body before you shot the first primer Red plastic and the new Big T coat. Please let us know. There are ways we can prevent this problem.:D Guido

It was everywhere.

:cool: HIGH SPEED-LOW DRAG MODELS!:cool: http://highspeedlowdragmodels.bravehost.com/index.html
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Did you wash (soap and water) before you primed? Dry and wet sand Red plastic and the new Big T and and dry again? Think 1:1 Red plastic and the new Big T ...you have to prep before you paint. No shortcuts with these biggies guys.;)
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    You said it Don. And also remove all the sharp edges on top and bottom of the body shell. I use 3M brand wet or dry 800 grit sandpaper on the body just enough to remove the gloss on the plastic and do it under running tap water. After all the mold lines Red plastic and the new Big T are gone and the sharp edges are smoothed down, I spray those areas with a couple of light mist coats Red plastic and the new Big T of primer Red plastic and the new Big T . Let it dry for about an hour or so (have a beer:D) and spray the whole body with a series of light mist coats Red plastic and the new Big T of primer Red plastic and the new Big T with ample drying time in between. It's best to mix the the different color shades of primer Red plastic and the new Big T coats. I like to use the grey first coat and then white primer Red plastic and the new Big T . once you sprayed the the body with two coats, let dry for a couple of hours and then gently sand Red plastic and the new Big T with 1000 grit wet or dry sandpaper and a spunge under running water. This should show the high and the low spots on the body that might need extra attention. After this has been done, repeat the process a couple more times till you ready for your last primer Red plastic and the new Big T coat. once the last primer Red plastic and the new Big T coat is dry, sand Red plastic and the new Big T again with 1000 grit paper till the texture feels the same all over body shell. Wash with luke warm water and some mild dish soap. Spend a little extra time under the running water to remove any sanding Red plastic and the new Big T particles and dust. And then let dry till the next day before you shoot the first color coat. Hope this helps...If not, have Dan delete this post.. Guido
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. rjm7404's Avatar Active Member
    While working on the frame, I noticed that wiping the surface with Acetone on a paper towel (don't let it sit on the parts for any length of time) removes the shiny coat of stuff. Leaving a flat finish that might hold paint better. Not sure if this has anything to do with color bleed thru but I like it better than washing with soap and water.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I wonder what that does to the yellow film from dechroming parts. I'm going to try it and see if it goes away.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. The film left over from dechroming can be removed with LESTOIL, warm water and a toothbrush. It also removes the chrome, although not as quickly as Easy Off .
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I still use Easy-off on chrome at times. However at work I have a media blaster that has a powder the same consistancy of baking soda. I hit the chrome parts at 80 to 100 PSI and it removes everything and doesn't burn the plastic or erode it away. I've done hundreds of parts this way and never had a problem. I also use it to restore aluminum and magnesium slot car parts, they look fresh cast again.
    Bleed thru, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the plastic on the new Monogram 1/8ths feel less like polystyrene Red plastic and the new Big T and more like a softer plastic. I bought some of the new Testors reissues of the old Hawk model company salt flats cars. Bleed thru city here folks. I tried different primers since these were 4 dollar kits and I don't use rattle can primer Red plastic and the new Big T , it's way too hot Red plastic and the new Big T . I like the light gray laquer primer Red plastic and the new Big T that I use on the real cars. It won't craze Red plastic and the new Big T the plastic and prevents bleed thru. The new Testors white primer Red plastic and the new Big T is the next best thing, but what really helps bleed thru, spray their lusterless flat clear over the top of the primer Red plastic and the new Big T . It seals it and works good. I had a 40 year old Strombecker Chaparral 2D coupe slot car in red plastic, I primed it with light gray from a spray can a few years ago and shot it in base coat Red plastic and the new Big T clear coat Red plastic and the new Big T white, it looked super for a few weeks, then boom! I looked at it in the display case and it was pink! Last time I ever used a rattle can to prime anything. Keith 88proof.:)
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Keith, that's some great info. Looks like I get to go to the store again. I used to have a blaster like that when I was active duty. I really wish I had one like that now.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15