Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: C-Cab Project

Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 03-05-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hey guys, here's a few photos of the C-Cab project in progress.

Cowl and firewall

I opened up the firewall a bit and made it part of the body for a cleaner look.

I like it.

The kit T has a floating interior.....it doesn't attach to or even come in contact with the frame, kinda just hangs off the body. CHEESY!
      Sooooooo.....let's fabricate a floor pan that will add (much needed) strength to the frame, the T frame is a bit on the fragile side. :eek:

Bottom of the pan.

The steering box sticks up above the frame rails....bummer, I didn't want to modify the donor kit pieces...my goal is to have a body that can be cast in resin C-Cab Project and used with a big T kit as a donor car with out having to modify the kit parts. That meant a bunch of notches and reliefs in the floor pan....by the way...there are a couple of silly looking gussets on the rear kick up that I left in place and worked around. More work for me, but less for you.

The floor pan is 1/8" thick, once it's attached to the frame (using the kit locating pins it will change the frame from a flexy flyer to a solid platform for the body. The cowl has a lip that mounts on the floor pan....cool, huh?

It's even got a boot for the steering column.

So there you have it. This is a new body for you guys so any input or suggestions are more than welcome:D

C-Cab Project
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I'm leaving this one alone. I'm speechless.:eek:
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #47

2. classicrocknrods
    classicrocknrods's Avatar Guest
    Hey, who cares about Barbie any more, shes a old has been now. On to cooler things, does anyone know where to hunt up say a 1/8 scale skeleton to poise in a car??
    QUOTE QUOTE #48

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Sounds like someone's doing a Lil Coffin model. Am I right. A good skeloten would need to be about 9" tall. You'd probable need to go to a party store that sells Halloween decorations. The Visible Man Model is too big. The other thing would be to go to a hobby shop that sells sci- fi and horror movie figures. It can be scratchbuilt but it would be difficult and very time consuming especially if you had no idea of anatomy.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #49

4. classicrocknrods
    Nah, just thinking about addin some "dead" wieght :D to the paddy wagon if and when I ever get er done. :p :rolleyes: By the way, can anyone give me tips to sewing small scale upholstry?? I am thinking about doing black n white striped tuck n roll on the "paddy" with a night stick shifter. Acording to my figures, the sections "finished' would have to be about 1/8" wide. I am thinking if one cuts thin foam to the 1/8" width then sewd the cloth together and stuffed the seem waist inbetween the foam, would curve it outward thus giving scale tuck n roll?? then spray cloth glue to the seat plate and wrap the finished section around the plate then super glue or epoxy C-Cab Project it on the underside. Has anyone attempted this??
    QUOTE QUOTE #50

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    The way I was going to do mine was similar to the way they did the real thing. I bought a book on auto uphostery. The technique I figured out would be very labor intensive and tedious and I honestly don't know how long it would take me to make a seat. I would use a suture thread which is really thin and a backing of really thin plastic. I would cut the foam and sew it to the backing to get the right contour and ---It would probably be better with pics because it's probably too confusing like this. Also, I've seen a lot of seats where the stitching doesn't show all that much. More to come on this.
    QUOTE QUOTE #51

6. classicrocknrods
    I can do real car or boat upholstry, is why I have thought about scale. as for the stitching for the cloth, I have a nice older machine that has about a gad zook amount of different sticjing it can do. The one fer here is really fine stitching.I mean, really fine!! I had thought about sewing it to the plastic, but could not use the machine here "sew" :D my stitching by hand wich is horrible :o would have to go here and I dont think so!! Pehaps card board, but not sure how well this would hold up as I am thinking about making the bottom part of the seat to come out so you can see the under seat gas tank. One thought I had is possibly sewing it to cereal box card board, then gluing C-Cab Project that to thin sheet stock with a 1/32" wide strip stryrene all of the way around the outside and then use something to make it look tacked on like a real tack line.I think this might work well and look good.Just so used to doing big stuff and a little afraid of so tiny a project.However, that certainly would be one for the books and model shows!! Hows the sanding C-Cab Project coming along Dan?? cant wait to see the body ready to go!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #52

7. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I have a 1/8th fully jointed skeleton. I posted pictures of it with my coffin rod body. If you go into search you will see it with my tear drop trailer too. If you go to a hobby shop that sells sci-fi and educational models, you will find the kit of the skeleton. It comes with a stand to hold it up and a clear dome to display it in. I think they are around $11.00 and very well done. I don't remember who made it but it's better than anything out there. Keith 88proof.:)
    QUOTE QUOTE #53

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Quote Originally Posted by classicrocknrods
    I can do real car or boat upholstry, is why I have thought about scale. as for the stitching for the cloth, I have a nice older machine that has about a gad zook amount of different sticjing it can do. The one fer here is really fine stitching.I mean, really fine!! I had thought about sewing it to the plastic, but could not use the machine here "sew" :D my stitching by hand wich is horrible :o would have to go here and I dont think so!! Pehaps card board, but not sure how well this would hold up as I am thinking about making the bottom part of the seat to come out so you can see the under seat gas tank. One thought I had is possibly sewing it to cereal box card board, then gluing C-Cab Project that to thin sheet stock with a 1/32" wide strip stryrene all of the way around the outside and then use something to make it look tacked on like a real tack line.I think this might work well and look good.Just so used to doing big stuff and a little afraid of so tiny a project.However, that certainly would be one for the books and model shows!! Hows the sanding C-Cab Project coming along Dan?? cant wait to see the body ready to go!!
    Slow down a bit big fella...take some advise from an old fart, your project is headed fifteen ways from tuesday.....you will never complete it if you keep trying to put every idea that comes into your head in one car. Learn from this one and be proud of what you've done...Then move on to another project incorporating what you have learned along the way. Each build will be better than the last. Steve has a number of 32's that he has built....the black deuce, the volcanic deuce, the in progress emerald deuce....all works of art, but each one a bit better and more detailed than the last. Your parts should be showing up soon.

C-Cab Project
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #54

9. Gluhead's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Ditto to what Don said...I learned my lesson. I already had pretty decent skills with the small ones...scratchbuilding and heavy mods are no strangers to me, and now that I've made the switch to 1/8, I watch those skills grow every day. BUT, I have to constantly remind myself to take everything one step at a time and pick my battles carefully. Same as with any scale, just because you *can* cram every little detail into a build doesn't mean you *should*. Most of the time, especially on the first build of a given type, it means an unfinished kit stuck back in the box for the next several years.

Take an inventory of what you want to get done on this one, and be realistic...and add to that list on the next one you build.

As for the upholstery, the smallest stitch still has to be convincing with the weight of the thread. I worked in a trim shop for about a year, and while I'm by no means any kind of expert, I've yet to see a machine that can handle the weight of thread it would take to look convincing in 1/8 scale. The stitches should be no more than hinted at to be convincing. Early next week I'll have that post up about how to do it real quick and easy like...without any actual stitches.

Also, *real* tuck and roll shows no stitches anyway. They are hidden in the tuck (that's actually the whole point of a tuck). Pleats let the stitches show, and a lot of people get them cornfused with t&r, but they are very different.

Glu
    Once around the Sun, cruising, climbing. Jupiter cyclops winks at me, yeah, he knows who's driving. Hit neutral in the tail of a comet. Let the vortex pull my weight. Push the seat back a little lower. Watch light bend in the blower. Planets align. A king is born. Dodge Swinger. Jesus on the dashboard.
    QUOTE QUOTE #55

10. classicrocknrods
    Alright, whos with me here. Its been about three weeks.How is the sanding C-Cab Project coming.I know it can be a real drag!! I am hoping the sanding C-Cab Project is near done and we can see a update soon.I dont think we have seen pics of the new rear doors yet??am luvin the project and want to see more!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #56