Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Mar 2022 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  (2 votes - 5.00 average) Thanks: 4
      Started: 03-03-12 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I use styrene Making a tire from scratch sheet to make my tires. I like styrene Making a tire from scratch because it's easy to machine. I start by<br>cutting 4" x 4" pieces.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>I glued 11 pieces together and drew a circle to the diameter of the tire. In this case 3.250", I make it .080" smaller because the tread thickness is .040". That will make it 3.330" final diameter.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>I cut out the rough shape on a band saw and drill a .250" hole for the arbor.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>The tire blank chucked in the lathe and turned to size.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>The tire blank in the lathe and center opening started.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>The center cut to size.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>These are the cutters I made to profile and hollow the tire. The one on the left is the tire profile. and the two on the right are used to hollow out the tire<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>First side profile.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>Second side profile cut and the tire hollowed out.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>Here's an illustration of the tire treads. I do all my illustrations in Adobe Illustrator. It takes a little adjusting to make the treads wrap around the tire blank. It needs to fit end to end.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>After the illustration fits to the tire I cut out the treads from .040" styrene. I then place each tread in it's place on a copy of the illustration (the first one got destroyed cutting out the treads).<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>This was taken on a light box. On the left are the treads placed loosely on the illustration<br>in their respective position. On the right is another illustration with a sheet of .005" styrene on top. You need to see the illustration through the styrene in order to glue the treads in position. Hence the reason for the light box.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>The treads being glued to the styrene.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>The treads glued in place.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>The treads cut into strips and applied to the tire blank.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>The tire almost finished, applying the side treads.<br>Hosted on Fotki<br>The tire sanded and painted, ready to mold and cast. The raised lettering was applied with<br>adhesive vinyl. I took an Illustrator file to a sign shop and they cut them out for me on their vinyl cutter (for a nominal charge).<br> Hosted on Fotki<br>Thats it in a nutshell. Hope you like.<br><br>Bill
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Very nice, thanks Bill
    Duke of Burl
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. BrassBuilder's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mike
    What material did you use to cast them? Liquid plastic or rubber?

I need to do something like this on my truck model. I only have 11 tires to make though :)

Mike
    Last edited by BrassBuilder; 03-04-12 at 01:42 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That works for me. Great tutorial. This is definitely one I need to commit to memory.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. bills69camaro's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    bill
    Thanks Daniel, Mike, and Jeff.

Mike I use a polyurethane rubber, it's distributed by BJB Enterprises, Inc. It's a 42 durometer, fairly soft but they make
    other hardnesses. They have a nice variety of resins. I buy most of my resins from them!

And thanks to whoever moved my post to the right place, I must of hit the wrong button.

Bill

Making a tire from scratch
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. BrassBuilder's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by bills69camaro View Post
    Thanks Daniel, Mike, and Jeff.

Mike I use a polyurethane rubber, it's distributed by BJB Enterprises, Inc. It's a 42 durometer, fairly soft but they make
    other hardnesses. They have a nice variety of resins. I buy most of my resins from them!

And thanks to whoever moved my post to the right place, I must of hit the wrong button.

Bill
    Ahhh...cool. I think that is the same stuff that I used to make my last tires.

Did you make these as a hollow tire? I take it you probably used some sort of foam insert to fill the void if you didn't pour them solid?

If you have any pictures of the mold making and pouring the tire, I would be interested in seeing them too. Like I said....this is right up my alley on what I need to do. The last tires I did, I poured them as solid rubber. I'd like to get away from doing that this time just to save some material.

Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. bills69camaro's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    bill
    Sure Mike I have a tutorial on molding and casting Making a tire from scratch , I'll post it in the next day or two.

Bill

QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Bill for making the next tutorial. That's the part I'm totally unfamiliar with.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. vincep's Avatar Member
    Name
    vince
    A tip that I saw years ago to create the tread for the tire was to get the artwork Photo etched in thin brass cut half way through rap that around the tire buck then stack another layer of PE of thicker material using the same artwork cut all the way through.

I have a hobbiest CNC machine I want to try your technique and cut the threads on the CNC from sheet stock.

Vince Putt
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. bills69camaro's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    bill
    Hi Vince, the photo etch process would work, but you would have difficult time sanding Making a tire from scratch the the brass to get a nice smooth
    surface on the tire.

The CNC would be the way to go.

Bill

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Mknorr's Avatar Member
    Name
    Manfred
    Hi Bill,That is outstanding work! So you cut all those tiny tread patter bits by hand? That would really test my patience. :-) I need to look at this rubber you use. I always wondered how I could make a realistic tire.Thank you so much for posting.Manfred
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Hans Spaan's Avatar Member
    Name
    Hans
    Hi Bill, Thank you very much for this fantastic tutorial! I'm sort of stuck with my current project (an 1/16 M923) because of the tires. A lot of fresh ideas here. Great! Hans
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. waltee's Avatar Member
    Name
    walter
    nice work on tire, what metal type did you use to cut side profile of tire?
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. bills69camaro's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    bill
    I used a inexpensive metal I bought at a Home Depot.

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. waltee's Avatar Member
    Name
    walter
    regular steel plate they sell?
    QUOTE QUOTE #15