Close

Builder Last Online: Dec 2008 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-18-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Dioramas don't have to be big or elaborite to be well done. Less can be better, avoid bright colors like white for cement or concrete floors. Try tans and light grays. If possible air brush or sponge in darker shades toward edges and corners of floors for depth and perspective. Too many times we see well done dioramas and the vegitation kills it. Lichen and craft store fake plants don't cut it. Woodland Scenics a model railroad company makes the best stuff for the job and reasonable too. They came out with a tree Dioramas how to's and masters and foliage starter kit complete for about $11.00. Their ground cover in a bag about $4.00, use white glue to hold it down. Mix a few colors together for dirt and grass and even better. Try to be realisic in posing things, if it can't be done in real life don't try to pass it off in scale life. But yet be creative and have fun, humor works good too. One of my best dioramas had a guy pulling the engine out of a 57 Ford using a tree Dioramas how to's and masters limb. Well the limb broke and the engine landed on the fender and front end. Another was a guy tipped his newly built engine on the stand over in front of his car. I sold one where the guy was working on his car and the dog was bringing him the wrenches. They tell a story like a one picture cartoon or one line joke, it all has to be done in one shot. I personally think it's nice to visit a guy who's collection features at least one diorama. It really shows where his thinking and heart is. It also shows you his talent other than building a model. So think about dioramas because I'm making masters for objects that fit in them and will continue too keep making more. Keith 88proof. :)
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    HEADS UP GUYS.........when Keith says he making masters for 1/8th dioramas, he's not blowing smoke. I've seen his work and it's incredible to say the least. Check out the Batwing aircleaner he mastered from the 1:1 Dioramas how to's and masters in his collection. Photos are posted under scratch building / wild thing. I'm older than dirt but I know he's going to teach me a thing or three. :D
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I'm posting these photos for Keith. Masters for 1/8th welding tanks, torch head, regulator and cart.

6' ladder traction bars and drag chute...

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    After looking at those photos, I dove into the hobby room. I've been chomping at the bit for 6 months. I officially cut styrene Dioramas how to's and masters yesterday. I'M BACK!!!
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Mike1981's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    These items are great, i cant wait to see what else you guys come up with :D :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Keith....have you ever tried to do running water (as in creek) in a dio? I'm having some success, but getting the "flow" to look right is giving me fits. I painted the bottom of the creek bed a dark blackish brown to give it some depth but trying to get the poly to flow around the rocks and rusty car parts is costing me a fortune in materials...any input?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I did some realistic water with my train and on other dioramas. Here's what I did. I cut a hole the shape of the lake or creek in the table, put in a sides and bottom. Did all my painting, dark blue on the bottom shading lighter then the sand Dioramas how to's and masters color for the sides, put in all the weeds, sunken logs, and whatever else you want in it. Now cover the thing up with a 1/8th thick piece of Lexan or gl***. Put you rocks, earth, gr***, and banks around it now. Then cover the gl*** with a super clear acrylic Dioramas how to's and masters or fast drying urathane, when it starts to get rubbery before it sets up, use an air hose held at a sharp angle to create ripples and waves. It works, Woodland Scenics makes realistic water too, but the stuff covers the gl*** perfectly and you save a fortune and can actually see the bottom better. Keith 88proof.:) :) :)

Dioramas how to's and masters
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I tried flowing water in a diorama once but flooding my kitchen and the bathroom. I guess you can't use real running water. Boy is my wife mad.:(

Hye, I knew a guy who went ice fishing once. He caught 200 lbs of ice. He lost most of it when he tried to broil it.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Didn't think about the air hose, thanks Keith.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    I figure this goes into the diorama thread so here it goes. One of the guys brought up the ideal of a 1/8 scale gas pump but there is one available if you can find it. Made by Golden wheel die casting Dioramas how to's and masters and called the "Custom Replica 1936 Gas Pump with on/off light". Its a bank but it is metal and has allot of potential. I just got mine today. $15.00 off ebay. I'm thinking of a repaint using Indian motorcycle decals and a round white chandelier bulb for the top with a Indian decal Dioramas how to's and masters on both sides. A little detailing and I think its going to come out cool. :D :D :D

Ive got more stuff like this like Snap-Ons tool box banks also 1/8 scale.

If you dont mind paying $45.00 plus shipping for one and dont want to waite on ebay this site still offers them for sale. http://www.miniaturesplus.com/pepsi.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images Dioramas how to's and masters-gas-pump3-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into. There's another idea you've given me. Now I'll have to wind up scratchbuilding those. I'm planning on building one in 1:1 Dioramas how to's and masters made out of wood for the hobby room as a display. Hobby lobby sells those kind of things in about 1/4 to 1/3 scale size . I examined one and they're really easy to make and light up with batteries.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    How about a 1930's visible pump. Should be straight forward enough. I bet if you looked around you could fine everything you needed to scratch one together at a 99 cent store. The 50s pumps even easier. All we would need is a good, to scale globe and some decals. :D
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. 88Proof's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Go to a Halmark store, look at the Kiddie Car Classics section of the miniature pedal vehicles. They have basically the same light up pump for about $15.00 and it looks super. We used to have over 40 real restored gas pumps, mostly visibles and clock faced from the teens to the 30's. We collected the globes and still have a few. Most pump globes are 15 to 17 inches across and 6 to 7 inches wide. That's about 1 and 7/8 inch across in 1/8th scale. You can use a rim to trace the circle for the lenses. I planned to make a master for a "Mae West" Fry 10 gallon visible and a National Simplex clockface both have globe holders. Keith 88proof.:)

Dioramas how to's and masters
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    I know 1/8th presents a space issue but is anyone planning a Dio?:confused:
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    The best biggie dioramas Ive seen are garages. That way it doesn't take up much more space then the car and you get to play with all the little details of a shop and use up some of those parts laying around. Keith sent in a scale gas torch and Ive got a nice collection of hand tools. (still looking for more). Things like a work bench are easy to build. Snap-on makes a nice 1/8 scale roll away as see in Marks Ferrari pics.

Ive always wanted a 30's era shop complete down to the iron bench vise and maybe even shop tools powered by overhead belts.

Theres a leaf spring shop not far from here that still uses all its original tooling, everything run off overhead pulleys and huge leather belts. Sure has a great look but the owner doesn't allow cameras in the shop I already asked. :( Anyone got pictures of old auto repair shops that I could use for reference?
    QUOTE QUOTE #15