Close

Builder Last Online: Mar 2012 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 05-01-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

[B]Boydster II 1-8th scale Hot Boydster II 1-8th scale Hot Rod trailer Rod trailer[/B]:

[B]Heres a basic layout for a standard 1-8th scale trailer[/B]. Hopefully the outcome will be a look-alike utility trailer with a wooden bed and polished brass I beams between the wood boards, more or less like oldstyle pickup beds. I will eventually use oak stained wood for the boards BUT polished brass I beams between the boards. Maybe even 3 removable stakebed rails?

[B]Wheels:[/B] I plan on taking 2 or maybe four of the standard Boydster wheels/tires combos and make them the wheels for the trailer.

[B]Fenders? [/B]I am not sure about that yet. I'd hate to hack-up a new Rc car just for fenders.

[B]Trailer hitch itself:[/B] I dont think will be a problem as they are pretty much all the same and I think I can figure that out.

[B]Thoughts? Tips? Suggestions?[/B] YOU BET anything will help. Please feel free to offer any advice.

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Rick's Avatar Member
    Name
    Rick
    My advice is to take your pictures on a surface where we can see what you are building. With so much art on the box, its hard to see the brass frame. Try shooting on a white background.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Okay heres the basic layout. Designed to hold a 6 pack of beverages or a hotdog(s) and or burgers and one large beverage at car shows and show off (sorry couldnt think of any other reasons) The tongue length will be adjusted as needed to make sure the car and trailer are able to turn as best as possible.

Minimizing cutting, the length will be the standard length of the K&S Boydster II 1-8th scale Hot Rod trailer brass rectangular stock.

Pics show the materials used:

[B]K&S Engineering brass stock-[/B]
    [B]1/8th x 1/4 rectangular brass tubing for the basic frame and tongue. (6)[/B]
    [B]7/32nd brass L angle for crossmember supports (2)[/B]
    [B].007 flat brass stock for gusset material. Waste 7/32nd brass L angle for crossmember pieces maybe used for gusset material also.[/B]

EDITED:

added the correct photo showing the center [B]7/32nd brass L angle for crossmember supports (2) "upside down" [/B]for clarity.

[B][/B]

Boydster II 1-8th scale Hot Rod trailer
    Last edited by nascarnbroncosfans; 05-02-09 at 05:50 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. [B]Suggestions?[/B]

Would the best soldering results be from a torch or a soldering iron?

QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Use a big iron 100 - 120 watt iron this is still thin stock. Use Staybrite solder. Buy a cheap ceiling tile for a DIY store and tape a piece of white poster board to it. Then layout your frame with all pieces cut and hold in place using t-pins. When all is cross pined and tight then solder all the joints. Make sure the iron gets real hot Boydster II 1-8th scale Hot Rod trailer , add a drop of solder to the iron and touch to the joint, if hot Boydster II 1-8th scale Hot Rod trailer enough it will flow and make the joint. Tight joint are the secret. Also you may consider corner bracing using thin flat stock to avoid any racking.

Also next time notch the angle iron so that you have a flat under the rectangle rather than just a butt joint, would be much stronger and would also provide a clamping surface while soldering; if you wanted to do your cross memmbers once the outside frame was soldered.

Ken
    Last edited by xken; 05-02-09 at 06:33 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Boydster Trailer front and rear frame pieces cut identical, and all 4 pieces scrubbed up for soldering. L cross members clamped to the same end pieces as a guide to get ready to cut down the right angle bend to butteryfly the right angle apart.

Yes xken you are right, the notch is a great idea, but taking this a step farther I will be using both edges as a solder joint.

QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Boydster Trailer front and rear frame L cross members cut down the right angle bend to butteryfly the right angle apart. shown in place.
    I will clean up the tabs to make them equal. Excesses on the top rails will be cleaned up completely after soldering.

QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Boydster Trailer front and rear frame cross members notched out. shown in place.
    I will clean up the ends to make them equal completely after soldering.

Edited: Boydster Trailer frame cross member gussets? aka corners shown in place below.

Last edited by nascarnbroncosfans; 05-02-09 at 09:49 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Boydster Trailer front, rear, right and left frame cross members during soldering.

I have a makeshift jig, holding them as square as possible. An Air Duster can to cool the joints as soon as possible handy.

[B]My First Soldering attempts.[/B]

Boydster Trailer front, rear, right and left frame cross members after soldering. I did have to flip them over and do the other side, THEN on ends of the inner gussets to be sure of a solid joint. Holding the soldering iron near the joints and letting the solder flow INTO the brass joints on alll for edges.

These should clean up fairly well with a dremel Boydster II 1-8th scale Hot Rod trailer tool, and finish out with a sanding Boydster II 1-8th scale Hot Rod trailer block.

Last edited by nascarnbroncosfans; 05-02-09 at 11:57 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Boydster Trailer right and left frame cross members with the end cross members added after soldering. Now soldering the 2 halves together, I did have to flip them over and do the other side, THEN on ends of the inner gussets to be sure of a solid joint. Holding the soldering iron near the joints and letting the solder flow INTO the brass joints on alll for edges.

Boydster Trailer center cross members added after soldering. I did have to flip them over too and do the other side, THEN on ends of the inner gussets to be sure of a solid joint.

Boydster Trailer 2nd center cross members added after soldering.

QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Looks like you are off to a good start. What kind of solder are you using? Just from looking at the pictures it looks like you are on your way to becoming a "Brassoholic" just keep practicing and remember to keep you iron hot Boydster II 1-8th scale Hot Rod trailer !

For big layouts like this consider the building board I described earlier with the ceiling tile and poster board and t-pins. You should be able to pin down the parts and solder most at the same time.

Ken
    QUOTE QUOTE #11