Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: fenders

Builder Last Online: Nov 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-03-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hi All. I haven't been on the forum all that much , but I've come to the conclusion that any problem that comes up someone can help you with it !! I have just such a problem. I've been scratchbuilding a model t coupe body out of an old BOBTAIL T junkyard I purchased on EBAY a while back. I'm using the frame ,with modifications ,plus the suspension , and pretty much all the running gear, again with modifications . My problem is I am trying to make a set of bobbed fenders like the BIG TUB uses , but I can't come up with anything the right shape or size. I took a piece of pvc pipe for a sink drain, and cut it all up and reshaped it, but again it just doesn't look right. ANY HELP ? The body is chopped and channeled over the frame to get it in the weeds. The rear tires are the big BF GOODRICH tires from the GOLDEN T , I believe, fronts are from the same kit with wheels from the EXTERMINATOR. It has a long way to go but it already has "THE LOOK ', but I want a set of fenders to finish it off. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS 38 ply ps. I'm sending along some pics to give you an idea of what's there so far

fenders

Build Photos

fenders-dsc01427-jpg  fenders-dsc01424-jpg  fenders-dsc01426-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Canada Jeff's Avatar Active Member
    http://www.tk560.com/stormtrooper.html

That's the same site I used for reference when I built my little vac-former:

Of course, this little one is designed for my 1:24 projects, but the idea is the same. I clamp a sheet of styrene fenders in that frame you see, warm it in the oven until it's "droopy" then lay the plastic over the buck on the vaccuum box, hit the button on the old Hoover and BAM-O! A stinky, hot fenders plastic copy of something!

I used it to make these canoes some may have seen on the SA board already:

(The canoes will become a belly tank style lakester some day soon, once my Mysterion is done)

I'm very glad I finally built one of these. The technique takes a little trial and error, and you waste a lot of sheet styrene fenders along the way, but if we were really concerned about money, we wouldn't be modelers, would we?
    [I]You.... yes,you....stand still, laddie![/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #32

2. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Someone had mentioned on another thread about them "for sale" signs you buy at the store fer .10 cents a piece. I was wondering if those are made of styrene fenders . :confused:
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #33

3. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    I checked the ones at Home Depot and those were or at least some other thermal plastic. Try heating one with a hair dryer and if it gets soft and starts to sag then it should work. Lexan works best but its pricey and hard to get sometimes.

Jeff, whatch call that thing ??? "An Electrolux Super Deluxe O-Matic Vac Caster". :D :confused: :D
    QUOTE QUOTE #34

4. Canada Jeff's Avatar Active Member
    Actually, I call it the "Super Sucker 3000"

That's what I wrote on the side of the vaccuum box with a black sharpie, anyways. My wife calls it "not that stinky thing again!"
    [I]You.... yes,you....stand still, laddie![/I]
    QUOTE QUOTE #35

5. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Mom still has an old Kirby vac that she bought new back in '72... Still runs like day 1..:D
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #36

6. 38plymoth's Avatar Update Profile Please
    I was just wondering if I could vac form something with intricate detail like the tread pattern on a tire, or would this be better done with casting fenders ? Bob aka 38plymoth

fenders
    QUOTE QUOTE #37

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Sorry Bob...I don't want to burst your bubble, but that's pushing it a bit far for the kind of detail you want. Casting fenders would be the way to go.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #38

8. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Dons right. Good for basic shapes and some minor detail but tread isn't going to show and if it does its going to be shallow. :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #39

9. 38plymoth's Avatar Update Profile Please
    THANKS for the info guys, to tell you the truth I really didn't think it would work. Most of the vac forming I've seen is just like you said, basic simple shapes. I bought a bunch of hoods and scoops at a show years ago that were vac formed and some them were pretty rough . Bob

fenders
    QUOTE QUOTE #40

10. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    It's just the nature of the beast Bob....you have to make your master a tad smaller than your finished part to allow for the thickness of the material you are drawing down....and the detail is lost on the inside of the part. It's a great piece of equipment for windshields, hood scoops, fender skirts ...lots of uses but not for detail stuff.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #41