Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: fenders

Builder Last Online: Nov 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 02-03-06 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hi All. I haven't been on the forum all that much , but I've come to the conclusion that any problem that comes up someone can help you with it !! I have just such a problem. I've been scratchbuilding a model t coupe body out of an old BOBTAIL T junkyard I purchased on EBAY a while back. I'm using the frame ,with modifications ,plus the suspension , and pretty much all the running gear, again with modifications . My problem is I am trying to make a set of bobbed fenders like the BIG TUB uses , but I can't come up with anything the right shape or size. I took a piece of pvc pipe for a sink drain, and cut it all up and reshaped it, but again it just doesn't look right. ANY HELP ? The body is chopped and channeled over the frame to get it in the weeds. The rear tires are the big BF GOODRICH tires from the GOLDEN T , I believe, fronts are from the same kit with wheels from the EXTERMINATOR. It has a long way to go but it already has "THE LOOK ', but I want a set of fenders to finish it off. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS 38 ply ps. I'm sending along some pics to give you an idea of what's there so far

fenders

Build Photos

fenders-dsc01427-jpg  fenders-dsc01424-jpg  fenders-dsc01426-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. 38plymoth's Avatar Update Profile Please
    SORRY I DIDN'T GET BACK TO "U "ABOUT THE "MISSING U". That all started as a mistake a few years ago. My son signed me up for an EBAY account and he simply "missspelllleed" plymouth and I've just hung onto it, and besides it's easy to remember ! It just so happens that I have a soft spot for the oddball kind of cars, I drive a 38 PLYMOUTH COUPE and am building a 36 CORNBINDER[INTERNATIONAL] truck. Right now the funds are kinda low so I'm building models instead ! Here's a couple pics of my toys. ONE'S DONE THE OTHER -NOT QUITE ! Bob aka 38plymoth

fenders
    Attached Images Attached Images fenders-dsc00450-jpg  fenders-dsc00482-jpg  fenders-coupe-castle-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Way far out , 38. Both those vehicles are fantastic. Great color combo on the coupe.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. 38plymoth's Avatar Update Profile Please
    FORD COUPE,when I was building the coupe I couldn't decide on a color, so for a long time it had one pink fender, one purple fender, one black door, one silver door,various shades of blue. If you notice none of those colors are on it now !!! Bob aka 38plymoth

fenders
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Bob, I'm a Mopar fanatic....but I really like the truck. I just sold my '75 New Yorker...loved the car, but I was made an offer I couldn't turn down.
    Come to find out...the guy pulled the 440 and put in a 383 2bbl. and resold it because he wanted the 440 for a rod project. Oh, well. It was his to do with what he wanted I guess. I made a guy an offer on a "survivor" 392 Hemi....got my fingers crossed. If I get it, it's new home will be a '65 Plymouth Belvedere 2 door (post) sedan....plain vanilla sleeper. ;)
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. 38plymoth's Avatar Update Profile Please
    Hi Don, I'm kinda partial to FORDS myself, but I just really like old cars and trucks. YA I'M PARTIAL TO FORDS--THAT'S WHY I'M DRIVING A 38 PLYMOUTH WITH A SMALL BLOCK CHEVY !!!!! The truck is going to be FORD powered though. A guy who used to belong to the car club I'm in is a real FORD man, he has a REALLY NICE PRO STREET 63 FALCON with a BUILT 460,also a 71 COMET GT, AND A ford ranger, anyway this guy took a motor in on a swap for some work he did, it was a freshly rebuilt 351 CLEVELAND that had never been fired. He offered it to me for $600 ! I couldn't pass that up. I went to his garage and we pulled a head off to see if it was what he said and everything inside was brand new except the rocker arms ! WHAT A DEAL !! That's in the truck now with a C6 and 9" rear. SHOULD BE A SCREAMER !!! SOMEDAY !!! Bob aka 38special

fenders
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Quote Originally Posted by 38plymoth
    Hi All. I haven't been on the forum all that much , but I've come to the conclusion that any problem that comes up someone can help you with it !! I have just such a problem. I've been scratchbuilding a model t coupe body out of an old BOBTAIL T junkyard I purchased on EBAY a while back. I'm using the frame ,with modifications ,plus the suspension , and pretty much all the running gear, again with modifications . My problem is I am trying to make a set of bobbed fenders like the BIG TUB uses , but I can't come up with anything the right shape or size. I took a piece of pvc pipe for a sink drain, and cut it all up and reshaped it, but again it just doesn't look right. ANY HELP ? The body is chopped and channeled over the frame to get it in the weeds. The rear tires are the big BF GOODRICH tires from the GOLDEN T , I believe, fronts are from the same kit with wheels from the EXTERMINATOR. It has a long way to go but it already has "THE LOOK ', but I want a set of fenders to finish it off. ANY HELP WILL BE
    GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS 38 ply ps. I'm sending along some pics to give you an idea of what's there so far
    Hey 38 What the heck ever happend to this baby.
    Attached Images Attached Images fenders-38plymoth-5-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. 38plymoth's Avatar Update Profile Please
    The coupe body got put on the back burner for a while, I lost my job a few months ago and for a while I was working in a friends garage doing body work and pretty much what ever else needed done! Then I got the opportunity to go back to school AFTER 35 YEARS !!!!! TALK ABOUT A SHOCK TO THE SYSTEM !!!!! It was an opportunity too good to pass up. ALL MY SCHOOL COSTS ARE PAID FOR and I'M GUARANTEED A PAYCHECK TILL I GRADUATE ! HOW COULD I SAY NO ? The last few months I've been doing HOMEWORK --- OF ALL THINGS !!!!! I've really been thinking about selling the body. INTERESTED ? To tell you the truth I've kinda lost interest in it. I really like doing the body work and paint, then I seem to "PETER OUT".I had planned on painted it a real pale yellow with silver pearl fenders ghost flames, but here it sits in primer fenders ! I've started another project in the mean time, a 1/8 CORVETTE PRO MODIFIED DRAG CAR with a BLOWN BIG BLOCK ! Maybe you you or someone could help with a problem with this one. I turned a set of huge slicks on the wood lathe, but I can't figure out how to cast them in resin fenders . The wood is too heavy to use as is . I'm including a few pictures of the VETTE and slicks. Bob aka 38plymoth

fenders
    Attached Images Attached Images fenders-dsc01710-jpg  fenders-dsc01706-jpg  fenders-dsc01705-jpg  fenders-dsc01698-jpg  fenders-dsc01699-jpg  fenders-dsc01700-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #23

8. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    You bet Im interested in the T. Drop me a PM and we'll work something out. l:

If your going for resin fenders cast wheels then its really very easy. Pick up a RTV fenders kit from Alumilite or just about any RTV fenders will work since there isn't an undercut. Once you got that kit Ill walk you through the molding and casting fenders .

Might go with a slush cast wheel to keep weight down the resin fenders is going to be as heavy if not heavier then the wood but theres ways around it. :D
    QUOTE QUOTE #24

9. 38plymoth's Avatar Update Profile Please
    I thought about maybe trying to hog out the inside of these tires after I drill the hole for the wheel, but I don't know of a way to get much of it out, maybe a dremel fenders with a blade of some kind . Another thing that has me puzzled is how to cast the hole ? How do I keep material out of there ? Or do I cast what I have here and then drill the hole ? Bob

fenders
    QUOTE QUOTE #25

10. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Best to finish off the tire with the hole and exactly as you want it. (ribs lettering, sidewall markings or any kind or a groove in the tread whatever you want. Don't hollow out the inside. That will only complicate the casting fenders . Well do the slush cast and keep the weight and material cost down. Its actually very easy. :D
    QUOTE QUOTE #26

11. 38plymoth's Avatar Update Profile Please
    How much actual material is needed to cast something this size. Approx. how much would it cost?

fenders
    QUOTE QUOTE #27

12. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    If you went with a solid tire ......... maybe $10 or $15 worth of resin fenders . The expensive part is the RTV fenders . Should cost a good $30 maybe more. Theres a cheaper way and you may have seen this one on Mythebusters. For a simple tire like this you can pull a vac formed mold and do do one casting fenders into each mold thats pulled. You loose the detail on the inside of the tire but you could turn it on the lathe to clean it up. Don't have a vac-caster then let me know I might be able to help. :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #28

13. 38plymoth's Avatar Update Profile Please
    I tried to cast some different tire and wheel combos awhile back but didn't have much luck with making the molds.I used silicone to make the molds instead of the resin fenders like you use , I tried FIBERGLASS RESIN fenders . On solid pieces like carbs and air cleaners it didn't work too bad, and some of the wheels came out ok, but I couldn't get a good mold for the tires. I molded some automatic transmissions four speeds, and was trying a FORD 9" rear ,but it ended up under the 32 COUPE before I could make the mold .

fenders
    QUOTE QUOTE #29

14. 38plymoth's Avatar Update Profile Please
    I forgot to ask about the vac mold. I have seen different plans to build one but really never studied it very close. Just what's involved with doing it this way?

fenders
    QUOTE QUOTE #30

15. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Its a simple machine that could be made out of some plywood an old toaster some plumbing fenders pipe and a vacuum cleaner. Look around the net for a do it yourself deal and Im sure you'll find something that explains it further.

Here check this page out. It goes over the steps in detail.

http://www.tk560.com/stormtrooper.html
    QUOTE QUOTE #31