Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Feb 2021 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 01-20-09 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hey Gang. I'm just starting to get back to the workshop. What I'm doing now is prioritizing thre tutorials I've done to see where I go first. As had been mentioned before, the scratchbuilt Olds engine has taken a huge hit on a tile floor. I'm still trying to find all the pieces. The box stock Shoveling Out the Workshop tutorial was never really meant to go to completion but was designed to teach the less experience how to tezch themselves how to progress in a box stock Shoveling Out the Workshop build. Each part and assembly is subject to the exact same rules and techniques. I just felt that I would be constantly repeating myself. If there are things you want to see, please let me know and I'll go right to that particular assembly. As far as the other tutorials go, I will be looking them over and figuring out where to go from here.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Tonight was the first night in about 8 months that I've touched automotive plastic. For two months, I fooled around with aircraft plastic. It's been 6 months since I stopped building because of a good case of burnout and other things. I've started measuring plastic for the Desoto Engine which will go into a scratchbuilt Lil Coffin. Thanks to ThrillbillyRich for the great pics of the restoration, Rick for the encouragement and others for their friendship. You've all helped to reduce the terrible feelings I was experiencing.

Shoveling Out the Workshop
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Sounds like da coupe is ready to rock n' roll....
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    It's absolutely amazing. I cleaned off the workbench and realized that the table color was white. I haven't seen that surface in I don't know how long. The only thing I worry about is how to avoid a recurrence of the burnout. I'm really prone to that. Anybody have any good ideas how to avoid burnout.

Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Jeff, you might try focusing on one project only. Take the Coffin for example....set aside an afternoon a week to work on it.....and then step away from it. Don't start another 'til that one is complete or you lose interest in it altogether.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks Don, that sounds like a winner. One thing I tend to do is get so involved with microdetail that it gets to the point of obscession and then it becomes work instead of fun.
    My worst habit is that once I get to a certain level, I avoid going backwards at all costs. That doesn't allow you to made a mistake or be relaxed about what you're doing. Stay tuned for the start of the DeSoto engine.

QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. miked.'s Avatar Active Member
    HFC, as far as extra detail, I personally would just wire the engine. The body itself will be enough to test anyones skill. I also need to stay with one project at time. I am the king of starting something new and never finishing. The Lil Coffin to me is the best show rod ever built. This will be awesome build in 1/8 scale. Keep us posted and most of all fun with it.:)'
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Jeff, we've been bud's for quite a while and I watched you progress from little cars to biggies and your skills have have grown in leaps and bounds. You enjoy working in many mediums and add new techniques to your bag of goodies constantly....that's all cool beans......you've hit that point where there are just sooooo many things that spark your interest and imagination that it becomes overwhelming at times and it just leads to frustration. The joy goes away and it simply isn't fun anymore.....right?

Let me suggest this to prevent burn out........
    Focus on the Coffin, put all the other things aside for now, box them up and start with a clean bench and clear mind. Consider how you are going to display your creation, just putting it in a case is kind of boring, perhaps displaying it as it would be presented at a show? A mini diorama might be in order here. That way when the Desoto is getting tedious.....work on the display base and accessories, maybe start the body...when that gets to be too much go back to the engine with fresh eye balls. Get my drift...it's all the same project but would allow you to work with different mediums and hold your interest. Remember it's all the same project and would keep plastic burn out to a minimum.

Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by Don Garrett; 01-22-09 at 11:18 AM.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Thanks miked for the vote of confidence. I agree with you. The last time I did an engine, like the Olds, I went way overboard putting in all the internal parts or at least trying to put in all the parts. The only way you could actually see things was in the progress shots. However, if no one sees the progress shots, then no one knows they're even there. I think I'm going to go a lot simpler this time.

Thanks Don. Your suggestion is dead on. That's a great way to help avoid the boredom and stick with one project. I've been looking for the right size skeleton but the only one I've found so far has a 20" length. That would make it almost 13 feet tall in full scale. I may have to wait until Halloween before I can add that detail.

Thanks also Don for the great words of encouragement. You know I can always count on you for great suggestions.

QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Jeff I went through the same deal with a skeleton...I finally found one that is 1/6 and all the joints are operational for another project. As far as 1/8th goes, keep an eye on eBay.....you remember those old transparent visible man anatomy kits from the day? They may be close to the scale you want....they are accurate, even though you won't be using most of the parts, the bones may be what you are looking for?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    The one I was talking about was the new version of the Visible Man. In 1/8 scale, the skeleton has to be about 9" tall to represent a 6' individual. I'll still be searching. If I have to, I can always do without it and create a dio a bit less traditional so to speak. Not that big a deal. I just wish I had a bigger display area so I can add cars as I go.

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    The one I was talking about was the new version of the Visible Man. In 1/8 scale, the skeleton has to be about 9" tall to represent a 6' individual. I'll still be searching. If I have to, I can always do without it and create a dio a bit less traditional so to speak. Not that big a deal. I just wish I had a bigger display area so I can add cars as I go.
    Jeff,
    I seem to remember seeing one of those visible man kits at a hobby shop somewhere. It may have been at one of the ones here in Louiville, but don't hold me to it. You might want to try giving Hobbytown or SRI a call though to see. It can't hurt.
    -Steve
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey Steve. I saw the Visible Man in Hobbytown in Middletown but that was the one that was 20 inches tall. What I'm thinking about doing is using that bigger skeleton in some creative way to go with the 1/8 scale model, sort of posing it for a new display. I guess this goes under the theory that if you can't find exactly what you want, change enough things to make it work anyhow. Stay tuned for more ideas.

QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    If you're going to be scratch building the thing anyway as a one off Shoveling Out the Workshop .....think bigger, maybe 1/6th or 1/5....make a statement and cut your own path Jeff, you certainly don't need to depend on outside vendors when scratch building. Hmmmmmm wouldn't a really big Coffin' open all sorts of possibilities without all that little fiddly stuff that just never seems to fit the scale? Easier to sand Shoveling Out the Workshop and detail and the 20" bone dude would be right at home.
    Besides....at our age, it's much easier on the orbs.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. MADD FABRICATOR's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    Richard D. Zimmerman
    For anybody interested in obtaining a 1/8th scale skeleton for thier Lil' Coffin style build or diorama, just go to ScripHessco and look for product item # 6520005. This happens to be a 1/8th scale, 8 and 1/2 " tall skeleton named "Petite Pete". Price is $9.99 plus shipping.
    CHEERZZZZZZZZZ !!!!!!!!! (MF)
    NEVER argue with an IDIOT, for he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience !!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #15