Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Jun 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-22-08 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

Hello you engine lovers!

Two days ago I received a small but heavy box from Dan, containing Big Al resin Driving Big Al in shape for casting parts....boy what an impressive sight!!...

Besides a lot of very well bagged parts, I found some black & white prints of some guys assembling the real engine...

Upon opening the contents, I was very impressed by the size, the number of parts and the weight of this baby to be....

Seems I've been honored to start super detailing it for making some super castings out of all these puzzle....I'll start retrieving data of the real engine and with the guidance of Grandpa I will start doing my homework...to be brutally honest, in this very moment I wouldn't know where to start assembling this!!!

This will be a series of postings, so keep tuned and we'll all learn some useful things...

Mario

Build Photos

Driving Big Al in shape for casting-p8220001-jpg  Driving Big Al in shape for casting-p8220002-jpg  Driving Big Al in shape for casting-p8220003-jpg  Driving Big Al in shape for casting-p8220004-jpg  Driving Big Al in shape for casting-p8220005-jpg  Driving Big Al in shape for casting-p8220006-jpg  Driving Big Al in shape for casting-p8220007-jpg  Driving Big Al in shape for casting-p8220008-jpg  Driving Big Al in shape for casting-p8220009-jpg  Driving Big Al in shape for casting-p8220010-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    WOW great opportunity! Looking forward to see the result
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    You have a lot to work with Mario. I can't wait to see what you do with it.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    WOW!

Oh boy, this will be a thing of beauty.

Keep us posted with lots of photos Mario.

I would be very interested in a discription of your evaluation and planning process also.
    IE... What needs to be done, sequence of actions. Your work speaks for itself, I would like to learn your processes also, to do a better job of planning my approach.

Thank you
    Last edited by Tage; 08-22-08 at 09:04 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    There you go gang....I mentioned a while back that TDR Driving Big Al in shape for casting was going to showcase this engine within and including the members...car guys, fixed wing and boat folks. A lot of money and time has been dumped into this puppy already so lets get it right and on it's merry way.
    Bear in mind that most of the molds will have to be two piece and rubber, resin Driving Big Al in shape for casting $ has it's limitations. Lots of parts (there's a bucket of 'em).......the final production castings cost won't be a Wally World Blue Light Special.....but it will be palatable.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I gotta get my hands on one of those too when they're ready. GTo take a lok at Fine Arts Models website. They have a Merlin stand alone engine for sale for $1500 semolians. That's what I want to do with mine sitting next to a P38.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. whodaky's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Geoff
    Amazing. Put me in line for at least one to start with.
    This place has some truly talented people.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    If you have trouble trying to figure out what goes where, just give me a yell Mario.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Tim, do you have an exploded view that you could post? That would work. Doesn't matter what scale.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I'll dig around tonight and see what I have.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity, lick it once and you will suck forever.....!!!
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Hey Tim!
    An exploded view or blueprints would do the trick....
    Thanks.........

Mario

Driving Big Al in shape for casting
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Daytonatim's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Here are some pics I made of the Allison in an exploded state.

Mario, I will see if I can dig out your email addy and send you video of the exploded allison. I posted the video up to YouTube but when it is compressed it is so blurry that you really cannot see anything
    Attached Images Attached Images Driving Big Al in shape for casting-exploded-assembly-1-jpg  Driving Big Al in shape for casting-exploded-assembly-2-jpg  Driving Big Al in shape for casting-exploded-assembly-3-jpg 
    Last edited by Daytonatim; 08-24-08 at 11:56 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Fellow members.......
    There is going to be a tremendous amount of info passed on in the course of this thread that will be useful to many of you. Hopefully everyone will have a better understanding of just what it takes to gather up raw info and create a monster like this promises to be.

It'll be cast in resin Driving Big Al in shape for casting so there are some limitations we have to be aware of.
    It will be a kit that an average skilled modeler will love but if you are a beginner be prepared to ask some questions.

Just as an example....the valve cover bolts. Lot's of them, huh?
    They will not be on the master....however the holes will be drilled for them. They will probably show up as dimples in the castings...it will be up to the modeler to add the bolt heads. The sizes and count needed will be posted as we go along.

I'll talk to Dan to see if he wants to provide a complete hardware package as a trans kit and also cast some metal parts, again as a trans kit. The base kit will be all resin Driving Big Al in shape for casting .

You guys that have casting Driving Big Al in shape for casting experience....please speak up and keep us out of trouble, you guys that want one need to toss in your input as well.

Mario, could you post a pic or 2 of the block and let's see where we are at, there were some issues about the block cylinders so let's start with it, okay?
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by Daytonatim View Post
    Here are some pics I made of the Allison in an exploded state. If I remember right, all parts that are the same color are identical parts.

Mario, I will see if I can dig out your email addy and send you video of the exploded allison. I posted the video up to YouTube but when it is compressed it is so blurry that you really cannot see anything
    Hey Tim!
    With the video & these images I think I can manage pretty well for the moment being...

Thanks much...

Mario

QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    OK Don, let's start with the block....

Some views of it as it is...

In "assembled" position....

Some 1:1 Driving Big Al in shape for casting images to get acquainted....

Lots of studs in this one....

Some of the few blueprints I could find...

And one very good print which shows where some parts go....

See you next time....

Mario

QUOTE QUOTE #15