Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alclad testing.

Builder Last Online: Feb 2022 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 09-24-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I am going to show you a test I did recently with a few different metal colour paints, and I hope the results will, in some way, be helpful to everyone. I did the test because I was thinking of using these on a custom bike. I sometimes hear, and see on various forums, questions concerning Alclad Alclad testing. and other metal finishes; what to use, how to use it, and Ďwhatís it going to look like?í Trying to find the ultimate chrome finish has always been one of the modelersí greatest challenges.

In this limited tutorial I will show you my preparation and results using Alclad Alclad testing. II Polished Brass, Alclad Alclad testing. II Stainless Steel, Alclad Alclad testing. II Chrome, and MGM Super Magic Powder. I found the MGM SMP on that well known auction site and purchased some to try it out. Also a piece of Bare Metal Foil Alclad testing. Chrome and another of Gold. I will, at a later date, do some more testing of other metal colours and show you the results.

The primer Alclad testing. I use is nothing fancy, itís the cheap brand grey primer Alclad testing. spray can found at car parts stores and some supermarkets. I find it gives a nice even coat and an almost gloss finish. For the base coats I am using Tamiya Alclad testing. gloss black enamel Alclad testing. and Tamiya Alclad testing. gloss white enamel Alclad testing. . I donít think acrylics Alclad testing. are glossy enough to give a nice shiny finish, but they may be suitable for varying affects depending on the finish you wish to achieve.

Build Photos

Alclad testing.-primer-jpg  Alclad testing.-metal-colours-tested-jpg  Alclad testing.-base-colours-jpg  Alclad testing.-bare-metal-foil-gold-chrome-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    The first test is done on a flat sheet of styrene Alclad testing. with primer Alclad testing. applied and the base coats airbrushed in horizontal strips. I then airbrushed the 3 Alclad Alclad testing. colours in vertical strips across the base coats. The order they appear in the photos is- from left: Polished Brass, Stainless Steel, and Chrome, and next to that I applied the MGM chrome powder.

The Polished Brass showed no difference between the black and white base coats. The finish didnít look too polished to me so I gave it a little rub on the bottom section of both panels which didnít shine it up at all, but only started to remove the paint. The stainless steel also showed no variation between the black and white base coats. As for the Alclad Alclad testing. chrome, well I'm not sure if it's my imagination or not, but it may be just a tiny bit brighter on the white base. A piece of BMF Alclad testing. Gold is on the edge of the Brass and a piece of BMF Alclad testing. Chrome is between the Alclad Alclad testing. Chrome and the MGM.

Now, this MGM Super Magic Powder is something Iíd never heard of until I stumbled across it one day while looking for something else. Iíve since found out that there are a few different versions of this type of product. Some of you may have seen them before. Itís a black or very dark grey powder thatís extremely fine and you apply it by putting a very small amount on a cotton bud and rubbing it onto a gloss black base. It turns into the best looking chrome Iíve seen besides electroplating. Itís kind of a dark chrome. When applied over the white base it gave a dirty stained appearance when viewed front on but when viewed across the surface it had a shiny look to it, a bit like looking across a lake.

Warning: this stuff can be very messy, so please be ultra careful not to get it on anything else.

Alclad testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images Alclad testing.-black-white-enamel-jpg  Alclad testing.-test-panel-001-jpg  Alclad testing.-test-panel-005-jpg  Alclad testing.-test-panel-reflection-012-jpg  Alclad testing.-test-panel-reflection-014-jpg  Alclad testing.-test-panel-reflection-015-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    The next test I did was Ďthe spoon testí. The results look better on a curved surface than a flat surface but itís good to have both to compare. I wiped the plastic spoons with a clean cloth and sprayed them with primer Alclad testing. . After drying in the sun I airbrushed them with Tamiya Alclad testing. gloss black enamel Alclad testing. only, and dried them in the sun again.

Alclad testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images Alclad testing.-spoons-primed-jpg  Alclad testing.-spoons-gloss-black-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    With a disappointing result from the Brass on the flat test, I decided to try a bit of Alclad Alclad testing. II Chrome on one end of the spoon to see if I could get a better result. I airbrushed the Brass onto the black base as normal but only 2 very light mists over the Chrome. This gave a much brighter look. I guess here you can play around a bit to get various looks and finishes to suit your particular needs, and I donít think there are set rules on how it has to be used, just use your imagination (but always test first).

Alclad testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images Alclad testing.-alclad-ll-chrome-gloss-black-base-comparison-alclad-ll-polished-brass-002-jpg  Alclad testing.-alclad-ll-polished-brass-004-jpg  Alclad testing.-alclad-ll-polished-brass-base-comparison-002-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    The Stainless Steel turned out quite good, nice and bright but not too reflective. The good old Alclad Alclad testing. II Chrome is up there with the other top paints. It never was as good as I had hoped for, but it was the best I could find at the time until I found this MGM chrome powder. A spec of this stuff goes a very long way.

Alclad testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images Alclad testing.-alclad-ll-stainless-steel-004-jpg  Alclad testing.-alclad-ll-chrome-001-jpg  Alclad testing.-mgm-super-magic-power-jpg  Alclad testing.-mgm-super-magic-power-003-jpg  Alclad testing.-mgm-super-magic-power-008-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David

Alclad testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images Alclad testing.-alclad-ll-polished-brass-base-comparison-003-jpg  Alclad testing.-alclad-ll-stainless-steel-008-jpg  Alclad testing.-alclad-ll-chrome-004-jpg  Alclad testing.-mgm-super-magic-power-010-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David

Alclad testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images Alclad testing.-spoon-panel-comparison-002-jpg  Alclad testing.-spoon-panel-comparison-003-jpg  Alclad testing.-spoon-test-002-jpg  Alclad testing.-spoon-test-004-jpg  Alclad testing.-spoon-test-006-jpg  Alclad testing.-spoon-test-009-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    In conclusion, there seems to be no end to what can be done with metal colours, and no strict rules that you must follow. By using different base coats and applying light or heavy top coats you can change the appearance. Mixing colours also gives unlimited variations, but be careful, not all paints will mix together successfully. The most important thing Iíve found is to test, test, test before painting your model with a new product or technique you havenít tried before. After you have done a bunch of tests you will have your own colour chart to refer to when you want to apply metal colours, and this will be much more accurate than these photos.

If anyone wishes to add to this, please feel free to do so. And if anyone has any questions, please ask away.

Happy modeling to all,
    Dave.

Alclad testing.
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. strevo's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Steve
    Thanks Dave! This kind of comparison is hard to find out there. That MGM powder looks fantastic!
    "Success and failure are the same choice; only attitude determines the difference." Ross A. Halliday
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    Am I right that MGM powder is the easiest process but darker than the other ones ? (it looks almost black)
    Regards

Ton
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Egon's Avatar Moderator
    Name
    egon
    Question: this MGM powder do you put it on while the black is wet or dry, and do it need to be sealed with clear varnish. Have you tryed it on white or silver basecoat, maby to a brighter finish.
    I have seen (I think it was in West Coast Custom) a roof painted like a mirror, first black then the chrome, it was very expencive they say.
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by strevo View Post
    Thanks Dave! This kind of comparison is hard to find out there. That MGM powder looks fantastic!
    Your welcome Steve. I've only found a few demo's like this on the internet and a couple of them only by accident. I think the MGM powder is great, and smaller parts come up absolutely beautiful.

Dave

Alclad testing.
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by Ton View Post
    Am I right that MGM powder is the easiest process but darker than the other ones ? (it looks almost black)
    Yes Ton, you are right. It's very easy to apply, just rub the powder on with a cotton bud, but it can be messy. If the powder gets on anything else, it won't come off. And yes it is a dark chrome which is quite noticeable when placed next to other chromes but it's incredibly shiny and reflective. I'm very pleased with my $10 investment and can't wait to use it again.

Dave.

Alclad testing.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Question: this MGM powder do you put it on while the black is wet or dry, and do it need to be sealed with clear varnish. Have you tryed it on white or silver basecoat, maby to a brighter finish.
    I have seen (I think it was in West Coast Custom) a roof painted like a mirror, first black then the chrome, it was very expencive they say.
    Egon, the black base has to be dry and hard. Rubbing the powder on with a cotton bud is like polishing the black, and it just turns to chrome as you keep rubbing. Once the area is fully covered by the powder and it has reached its maximum affect, you can't make it shine any more by continuing to rub more.

I have not tried any clear over it. I tried it on gloss white base coat Alclad testing. . You will see in the photos of the flat test how it only discolored the white. I've just tried rubbing some powder on the Alclad Alclad testing. Chrome spoon and it has discolored and dulled it a little. Seems that it will only work on a gloss black base.

I've also seen something that they put on cars, but rather than spray it on like paint, they were hosing the stuff on like washing the car. First a prep wash, then a base coat Alclad testing. , then the last one was like hosing liquid chrome on. And very expensive

Dave.

Alclad testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images Alclad testing.-cfx_m3-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    well, I ordered a jar I read somewhere that you have to give a last finish with blue pearl Alclad testing. ...does it say anything to you?
    Regards

Ton
    QUOTE QUOTE #15