Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alclad testing.

Builder Last Online: Oct 2017 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 09-24-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I am going to show you a test I did recently with a few different metal colour paints, and I hope the results will, in some way, be helpful to everyone. I did the test because I was thinking of using these on a custom bike. I sometimes hear, and see on various forums, questions concerning Alclad Alclad testing. and other metal finishes; what to use, how to use it, and ‘what’s it going to look like?’ Trying to find the ultimate chrome finish has always been one of the modelers’ greatest challenges.

In this limited tutorial I will show you my preparation and results using Alclad Alclad testing. II Polished Brass, Alclad Alclad testing. II Stainless Steel, Alclad Alclad testing. II Chrome, and MGM Super Magic Powder. I found the MGM SMP on that well known auction site and purchased some to try it out. Also a piece of Bare Metal Foil Alclad testing. Chrome and another of Gold. I will, at a later date, do some more testing of other metal colours and show you the results.

The primer Alclad testing. I use is nothing fancy, it’s the cheap brand grey primer Alclad testing. spray can found at car parts stores and some supermarkets. I find it gives a nice even coat and an almost gloss finish. For the base coats I am using Tamiya Alclad testing. gloss black enamel Alclad testing. and Tamiya Alclad testing. gloss white enamel Alclad testing. . I don’t think acrylics Alclad testing. are glossy enough to give a nice shiny finish, but they may be suitable for varying affects depending on the finish you wish to achieve.

Alclad testing.

Build Photos

Alclad testing.-primer-jpg Alclad testing.-metal-colours-tested-jpg Alclad testing.-base-colours-jpg Alclad testing.-bare-metal-foil-gold-chrome-jpg 

Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Ton, I haven't read that anywhere and I hadn't thought about it until now that you mention it. I just use it straight from the little jar. MGM have a range of pearl Alclad testing. powders, and if they work over the chrome they might be ok for the heat colours on exhaust pipes.

Dave.

Alclad testing.
    QUOTE QUOTE #17

2. Ton's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Ton
    I will order a blue pearl Alclad testing. jar as well.....see what the effects are.
    Regards

Ton
    QUOTE QUOTE #18

3. Dr Dave's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    David
    Update= I've recently tried a clear sealing coat over all of the spoon tests. I tried acrylic Alclad testing. gloss clear, enamel Alclad testing. gloss clear and Future. The brass one worked ok with the enamel Alclad testing. giving the highest shine and it didn't change the brass paint, only gave the finish a nice gloss. On all the others any clear coat Alclad testing. made them look not so good. I haven't tried the Alclad Alclad testing. clear which I guess is made to work on any Alclad Alclad testing. finish. The finish from the powder is the most durable by far and a little handling will not affect the surface.

Ton, did you end up getting the blue pearl Alclad testing. ?

Alclad testing.
    QUOTE QUOTE #19

4. xken's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Kenneth
    Alclad testing.
    For metallic Alclad testing. finishes try this product from Krylon here is a link. I used the copper for the expansion tanks on the Allerton build see page 8

Premium Metallic - | KrylonKen
    QUOTE QUOTE #20

5. Auréance's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Gilles
    Thank you for this series of extensive tests.
    A small question, if a colorless gloss is happening on the Alclad Alclad testing. : What's going on? Increased chrome effect or turn to gray?
    QUOTE QUOTE #21

6. Big John's Avatar Established Member
    Name
    John
    Dave, Thanks for the great test series. The spoon test was the best for having a very glossy surface to begin with. I agree that the MGM powder works great for a high polish chrome look. It would be interesting to see what the affect would be using it on Alclad Alclad testing. chrome after it is sealed.

Thanks again Dave.
    John
    QUOTE QUOTE #22

7. zxcsfsoul's Avatar Member
    Name
    febrian
    How did you spray that primer Alclad testing. so smoothly. What brand nd type of primer Alclad testing. did you used? I use the mr surfacer 1500. The first time i used it i think i remember it goes smoothly like yours but after a month when i used it on my scale model it didnt have that smooth surface. Is it because i pre mix all the primer Alclad testing. first? I usually pre mix my paint and thinner Alclad testing. until the time i need it.
    QUOTE QUOTE #23