Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: May 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 12-17-05 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

O.K. Mike here goes.........these photo's are just to show you what we are trying to accomplish. You can find photo's of the actual panels for a '29 or create your own, I'm just showing you how I would go about it.

Are you still with me?
      At this point you have the recessed areas and openings done now you can add anything you want to be "raised". Pin heads for rivets or small half-round for ribs.

Now you have your master or "buck" done. Tape it to your work surface and tape a piece of 36 ga. brass or aluminum tooling foil on top of it. Rub with a wooden stylus or paint brush handle to emboss the pattern into the metal. Wood so that you don't scratch or mar the metal. when you are done, take the buck apart and turn the pieces over, reassemble and emboss the other door.
      Now you can cut the openings out of the metal. I said make it a little larger than the door so that you can trim it and bend the edges over for the thickness you want.

I took an old piece of Deuce floor board an did a couple of rubbings, one in aluminum and one in brass to give you an idea of what it looks like.

It's not as hard as it seems and looks great in a model. You can use this same technique to do a metal dash, console, bulkhead etc. If you want to give it a try I'll put a couple of 5"x5" pieces of brass and aluminum in with the parts I'm sending you. The aluminum is a little easier to work with but the brass is stiffer, if you are not going to paint them the aluminum looks cool buffed up a bit. This is just an overview I hope you can make some sense of it. If you have questions...feel free to ask.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.

1. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    That one deserves to go into the tutorials if it isn't there already. Great work Don. That helps me a great deal also.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Mike1981's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Don, you're a genius :D , i understand exactly what you've explained, I'm going to PM you in a minute with my address etc, cheers Don. :) :) :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Mike, got your PM I'm sending some stuff to Doc and Keith Mon. I'll send your parts at the same time. Any of the trike parts would be appreciated. Anything that is sent to me (if not used for masters) goes back out to members that need bits. I'll toss in enough metal so that you can practice a little before you do your finished parts. I did the post on the door panels because it has a lot of possibilities, maybe you can come up with some more.
    Are you looking for radiator core material or or a 1/8th radiator?

Mike's '29..inner door panels
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Mike1981's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    i just need a radiator core Don, ill send you the corvair engine and any other parts i wont be using.
    Send me a PM or email with your address and ill send them out shortly. :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Mike, I'm dropping the front of my C-cab a bunch. If you are using a suicide front axle as I am, here's a tip. Mount your front spring behind the axle instead of on top of it. This will give you more drop without using a way too tall spring perch. It kicks the front end out a bit more too. Have fun. ;)

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Mike1981's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    I had been looking into that but i couldn't find a good pic to show me how it goes together, if you could explain it to me that would be great.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    No sweat...give me a bit and I'll get something to you.

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Let me take a moment here to explain where the C-cab is headed.....drilled frame, dropped suicide front end, 4-bar front & rear, disc brakes on the front with wire wheels, 4-speed trans w/shift linkage, friction shocks on the front and coil-overs in the rear, custom bucket seats, brass "T" style grille and a partridge in a pear tree Mike's '29..inner door panels . Most of this stuff will be scratch built Mike's '29..inner door panels and sent to Dan to cast in resin Mike's '29..inner door panels or metal. I will however post in-progress photos in case you guys can up with better stuff or want to do it yourself for a one off Mike's '29..inner door panels , that way we all benefit. Is this an ass kickin' forum or what?

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. robjos32's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    robert
    The door idea is really simple but effective, and looks really cool.
    You can have any color you want, as long as it's black. Henry Ford
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Mike1981's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    The C-cab is great, loads of possibilities, i well build one one-day, i like the idea of a red and white red-stripe beer wagon :) .
    How are you building the friction shocks, i don't want to put deuce style shocks on my 29.
    When you had mentioned the brass grill before i wondered how you would do it, but i guess that the plastic drill you've made well be a puck and you well use the method you've explained (29 door panels), Ive said it before and ill say it again "Genius".
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Mike the friction shocks couldn't be any easier to make and I like the way they look. It's a much "cleaner" set-up. I'll grab a crayon and post a sketch sometime today. You probably wouldn't be able to stretch the metal enough to do a brass grille the way you do a door panel, although it might work if you did it in sections and epoxied the parts together. When I finish the plastic one it could be cast in metal or metallic Mike's '29..inner door panels powder could be put in the mold with the resin Mike's '29..inner door panels . I'll leave that to Dan to work out. The C-cab is going to him to be cast in resin Mike's '29..inner door panels when it's done. It will be another body for us to fool with. The Beer Wagon would be cool or with a few strips of wood and some detailing it could be a Surf Woody, shouldn't be too hard to fab up a couple of 1/8th surf boards.

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Mike1981's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Does anyone know when coil-over shocks were first used, i would like some on the rear of the RAF build.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Mike, here's a quick overview on the friction shocks......

I use a 1/4" hole punch to make the discs, stack 'em up and drill a hole. Simple huh?

TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Mike1981's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    cheers Don :) , ill have to find somewhere i can get the star washers.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15