Close

Introduction
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 200.00 USD (39%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August. Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Introduction Introduction Introduction Introduction Introduction
Accepted Payment Types

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Builder Last Online: Jun 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 11-08-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

To all modelers in this Forum:

I've been honored by SMC with this page, I'll try to do my very best of making it amusing, practical & useful for everybody.
      I'll show here as much techniques as I can, with many pics for every subject, but most of all, I would like this page to be everybody's page...to ask, discuss,propose, etc...
      Welcome to Mario's Micro-mechanics for Modelers!

Mario Lucchini
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    First of all, I want to personally thank Don & Dan who had the courage and confidence in me, to give me this sub-page in this wonderful forum.
    I feel honored and fully commited to make the best I can out of it...

OK folks, let's start the works.
    One of the builds that will be shown on this page, is the Heller 1/8 scale version of the Citroen Traction Avant of 1952.
    The kit, reboxed & sent to me by Mr. Don Garret with outmost accuracy, is lonely laying in some dark warehouse of the Chilean customs...
    I'm hoping to retrieve it in the next few days, and then all hell will break loose...
    For starters, I will post all the necessary pics of the enormous amounts of parts this kit provides.
    I will follow with an inventory of the parts, advancing the building stages & I'll try to be very precise in showing which parts will be scratchbuilt for whatever reasons & explain them.
    The latter will be an excuse to make tutorials out of many stages of this build.
    As usual, I will welcome all the suggestions you guys can make, to make this page better & better along with time.
    The image below is a painting which in my opinion tells a story...the light, the environment, the surroundings, depicts the essence of this car...

Mario

Introduction
    Attached Images Attached Images Introduction-untitled-bmp  Introduction-3_h-1-jpg 
    Last edited by Mario Lucchini; 11-08-07 at 05:29 PM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Boys:
    Though this post doesn't deserve yet to be the first of the series of the build, I'll describe some of the first impressions & some action...
    As I started with the first 5 or 6 initial parts of the engine, I realized some very important facts.
    First of all, I've been looking at my extensive data of the 1:1 Introduction car & respecting the engine, there are very few things I would say the kit doesn't have.
    The scale bolts are in plastic & on the parts, I'll change them all for real scale metal bolts.Incredibly so, the kit gives the bolts & nuts that are not imbedded on the parts, as separate parts in the sprues, you really need some very thin fingers & a magnifying mirror to see them!!...
    I thought I had all the hardware necessary for it, neverheless I'm realizing thet I need a lot more scale bolts yet, not because of the quantities, but for sizes.
    There are at least 5 scale sizes in the kit's parts, of which I have only 3! And we're just talking about the engine!
    On the other hand, there are some stages in the manual that call for glue, I'm taking no prisoners here, I'll scale bolt as much as I can!!
    When not important, I'll use simulated bolts & nuts, metal of course, the thing is super detailing till death takes us apart.
    I would like you to know as a curious fact, that I've been after this kit since 1968, that's a lot of time!!
    Can't understand how this kit didn't stirr in some way the modeling scene. I'm yet to know a 1/8 kit , all plastic, with more than 1050 parts, with excellent detail in all of them, most careful attention to detail & scale faithfulness, etc., and believe me, I think I've seen them all...
    I've only found only one serious Forum which showed in multiple postings this build, unfortunately this one's a guy from Poland, I'm not a Polish spoken individual at all!!! The pics in it are really good, of many stages of the build, and very useful as experience. Before I got the kit, I learned a lot from this one.
    OK, don't want to bore you all more than necessary, I think I'll go drilling some more holes in styrene Introduction to locate some more scale bolts, ufff!!!
    You can't imagine the face of The Shadow these last few days, he has a permanent, fixed smile on his face that's rather psychopatic!!!

French style Mario modeler says "A revoir"

Introduction
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuces-wild View Post
    I spent a few hours on the net this morning trying to find pics of completed models of the citroen, but no dice. Anyone have any?? Thanks in advance! /~

Hey partner!... a small sample...

Monsieur Marió

P.S. The chap in the pic is not me, it's one of The Shadow's sons sitting there for scale comparisons...

Introduction
    Attached Images Attached Images Introduction-c524da968eb660d1-jpg  Introduction-20ae7ce329ce6640-jpg  Introduction-88dfc0161c746811-jpg  Introduction-738127be72075bc7-jpg  Introduction-50486f404e4407df-jpg  Introduction-19c9d088c44d7399-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    I spent a few hours on the net this morning trying to find pics of completed models of the citroen, but no dice. Anyone have any?? Thanks in advance! /~
    And then...some more...

Oui, Oui....

Introduction
    Attached Images Attached Images Introduction-5e7b55819d87a50f-jpg  Introduction-e66aae608e94b46c-jpg  Introduction-cd70570052a77a58-jpg  Introduction-632a6feea2ce5912-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Holly Cow!!! That's about as long as my 1/6th Willys. Is black the only color they came in? What other options were you able to get with real ones?? Any wire wheels?? Or how about dual exhaust?? Maybe 3 Weber carbs ought to do the motor a little justice.
    Most impressive, ahhh?
    They came in some different colors rather than black, but not too many, I've seen a burgundy body with black fenders that looks very elegant.
    As for the other variations you mention, all of them has been made, and them some...
    Don't know if you want to keep your kit build traditional style, or go berserk & make a hot Introduction rod out of it!

Anyway , the kit allows 2 versions, the 1948 & 1950 ones, main difference is in the trunk & spare wheel...
    I would advice you to study the kit's potential a couple of days once you get it, then make your decisions...

A bientôt!!

Mario

P.S. Please find enclosed a 3 carb version of the 15 SIX engine...

Introduction
    Attached Images Attached Images Introduction-4661284883-jpg 
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Gentlemen, start your engines...
    To begin with, let me tell you that the manual of this kit is the most complete issue I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them!
    For starters, it shows a complete story of the development of this model, giving technical specs, colors, etc.
    It explains very precisely in which model the kit is based on, being this issue very useful to look for data (Which I did & never stopped!), and then comes the sprue Introduction numbers with a relation of the parts to each one of these.
    The building drawings are all isometrical views of the parts & their assemblies, some complicated sub-assemblies are shown in 2D special drawings.
    These drawings are of such quality and clarity that you believe you're working with the factory's blueprints.
    Being a draftsman myself, I realize that the chap that draw it must have taken months to finish it.
    The last pages shows the parts listing & building instructions in other languages besides French, including English (Good translation, according to what I've seen)
    This manual makes a hell of a bedside reader, when in the silent hours of night you learn how things go together and begin imagining where & how to superdetail...

I began, as the manual says so, assembling the engine. I studied the first 10 or 12 parts & realized that one of the important things to enhance this already superb kit, is to replace the plastic bolts & nuts for scale metalic ones.
    To do so, extreme care in marking & drilling is required.
    Some of the parts are very thin, so I reinforced these with automotive two part epoxy Introduction putty Introduction , which dries hard as rock. Caution here, cause this putty Introduction doesn't stick well to styrene Introduction , so you'll have to mold it in the part, let cure Introduction , & then glue the molded putty Introduction with medium cyano.
    This procedure not only reinforces the part, but also gives you enough material thickness to drill & tap for the bolts.
    Some parts call for studded nuts, what I'm doing for this is to take a bolt, screw it from inside the part and apply a scale nut in the protruding thread.... beautiful results!
    I'm doing all this sanding Introduction , drilling, tapping, adjusting, etc., before painting anything.
    It's very hard to see the completely bolted part, which by this moment looks really gorgeous, only to disassemble everything, sand Introduction & clean again and set aside for paint!
    The green color for the engine is already prepared. According to my gathered data, this color is very special, and I succeeded preparing it after many trials & errors, using cub yellow instead of other basic pigments, and permanent blue. I have the exact mix if anybody needs it.
    I'm preparing pics of this very early stage, so keep tuned....

Till very soon....

P.S. Some pics of the 1/1 Introduction car, mainly the gearbox which I'm tackling with...

Mario

Introduction
    Attached Images Attached Images Introduction-010609-20-versn-20bak-2004a-jpg  Introduction-010609-20-versn-20bak-2006a-jpg  Introduction-may05-20142-jpg  Introduction-010609-20-versn-20bak-2002a-jpg  Introduction-010609-20-versn-20bak-2003a-jpg  Introduction-easter05-20020-jpg 
    Last edited by Mario Lucchini; 11-19-07 at 08:06 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Let's start doing some preparation of parts.
    Beggining with the engine build, as per the manual, I glued only the parts that in the real car are supposed to be in one piece. The rest of the parts, are all going to be scale bolted to each other.
    I'm showing 3 sprues that contain SOME of the engine parts!
    In the pics you can see parts of the block assembly beeing sanded, rectified for fits, puttied & reinforced for drilling.
    The darker putty Introduction is automotive epoxy Introduction (Rock hard), the white putty Introduction used for dimples & else, is my favorite mixture of acrylic Introduction clear + talcum powder.
    Some holes have been drilled & tapped at this stage & also some scale bolts are presented prior to their polishing & chamfering.
    All this procedures are done before even thinking of painting anything.
    At this stage, it's very important to check for fits, make holes coincide & test the bolting of the parts between them.
    The secret for succesful drilling & or tapping is utmost careful marking with a very pointy awl, drilling by hand with a well centered pinvise, and lots of deep breathing!!
    You'll also notice plain scale bolting & stud bolting (Inside bolt + nut)
    Along with all these, careful comparison with pics & data of the real car, makes you do some changes and forces to do some serious scratchbuilding!
    In order to keep track of faithful reproduction & detailing, every part has to be worked very hard! But that's the beauty of it all...
    To be continued...
    Mario

Introduction
    Attached Images Attached Images Introduction-pb200001-jpg  Introduction-pb200002-jpg  Introduction-pb200003-jpg  Introduction-pb200004-jpg  Introduction-pb200005-jpg  Introduction-pb200006-jpg  Introduction-pb200007-jpg  Introduction-pb200008-jpg  Introduction-pb200009-jpg  Introduction-pb200010-jpg  Introduction-pb200011-jpg 
    Last edited by Mario Lucchini; 11-20-07 at 06:21 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    I forgot to ask my question. Mario, when you tap the plastic, is it solid enough for you to get a good threading? Do you use any kind of cement on the bolts?
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cline View Post
    Mario, Looks like you'll spend more money in fasteners than you spent for the kit

Since I'm having a b***h of a time plating brass bolts, I'm looking for stainless. But the largest size I've found is 1mm across the flats which translates to 5/16" in 1/8 scale. do you have a source for larger than 1mm in SS?
    Bob:
    Scale Hardware has 1.4 mm A/F SS hex bolts...that would be 12 mm bolt in 1/1 Introduction scale...much used in automobilia, hee, hee...

About the fasteners for the Citroen kit, you ain't seen nothing yet!!!

Mario

Introduction
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe View Post
    I forgot to ask my question. Mario, when you tap the plastic, is it solid enough for you to get a good threading? Do you use any kind of cement on the bolts?
    Hey Jeff!
    I always put some kind of reinforcement behind the plastic, such as epoxy Introduction putty Introduction , when the plastic is thin. This putty Introduction is rock hard & allows for happy drilling & tapping.
    On the other hand, if the plastic is massive enough, I put some thin Cyano in the thread after tapping & allow to dry several hours (if you don't, you'll have a bolt that will not come out again ...EVER!!!)
    Besides, when tightening bolts in plastic use very little force...otherwise you'll stip the threads very easily...

Mario

Introduction
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Bob,
    Try this place too:

http://www.microfasteners.com/

Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    With some patience you can achieve good detailing on an out of the box part.
    The water pump has been glued as per manual, sanded, puttied, drilled & tapped...
    It's ready for paint, but before that I did some changes & scratchbuilt the pulley, the tension screw, the temp gauge output & some other oddities, that I think begins to be in the stage of superdetailing...
    This is a very small part, to give an idea, the tension screw is only 1 mm in diameter...

Mario

P.S. And some pics of the real thing that aids in the detail department...

Introduction
    Attached Images Attached Images Introduction-pb210013-jpg  Introduction-pb210015-jpg  Introduction-pb210016-jpg  Introduction-wp-7-jpg  Introduction-wp-8-jpg  Introduction-wp-9-jpg  Introduction-pb210011-jpg  Introduction-seager-20011-jpg  Introduction-seager-20014-jpg  Introduction-seager-20015-jpg 
    Last edited by Mario Lucchini; 11-22-07 at 01:53 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15