Close

Tools & Accessories 2
Goal amount for this year: 518 USD, Received: 415.00 USD (80%)
Scalemotorcars is a free and open community devoted to scale modeling. The heart and soul of Scalemotorcars is our global community of over 10,000+ contributors, millions of readers, and donors like yourself – all united to share unlimited access to reliable information. Your donations keep Scalemotorcars freely available to everyone.

This years bandwidth costs, hosting service, domain registration, software licensing fees, and maintenance cost have a balance of $518 due by the end of August, (extended to the end of Septembers). Please help us keep Scalemotorcars growing by making a donation today.
Thank you.

Tools & Accessories 2 Tools & Accessories 2 Tools & Accessories 2 Tools & Accessories 2 Tools & Accessories 2
Accepted Payment Types

Builder Last Online: Jun 2011 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 0
      Started: 08-31-07 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

The Shadow kindly allowed me to show the scratchbuilding of a scale bolt!

Step 1 is drilling a hole in a brass hex rod (In this case a 1/8" A/F rod). The rod is held in the 3 jaw chuck, & the drill in the drill chuck which is held in the tailstock. The thread I'm using will be a M 1.6, so the tapping diameter drill to use is a 1.32 mm. drill.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Step 2 is tapping the hole made in the rod, in this case and as mentioned, I'm using a M 1.6 tap, which is also held in the drill chuck. This tapping is very carefully made rotating the 3 jaw chuck by hand, cause breaking a 1.6 tap is very easy and they don't come cheap!! Use also plenty of cutting fluid...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Step 3 is making the thread on the male part. This is done chucking a brass bar of 1.6 mm. diameter, and
      tapping it with a 1.6 mm watchmakers die. We follow the same precautions as the above step.

[/IMG]

Step 4 shows the male thread being bolted to the hexagon bar using the drill chuck to center & hold it.

[/IMG]

Step 5 shows the Dremel Tools & Accessories 2 cutting the male thread to the needed length and finishing the bolt's end.

[/IMG]

Step 6 shows a 45º tool chamfering and giving the bolt's head its definite size

[/IMG]

Step 7 shows the parting tool in action...

[/IMG]

Step 8 shows the bolt inverted in the 3 jaw chuck being polished and chamfered in one sole operation...

[/IMG]

Finally, voilá the finished bolt...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Thanks

The Shadow
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Bravo! Mario Bravo! Hope I can add a couple of tips here. Next time try wiping some Crisco shortning on the tap for a nice clean (burr free) thread cut. This also works when cutting threads for a bolt. The great thing about this is that it makes the taps last alot longer and it's cheap. The theory behind this one is that when tap or die starts to cut the threads, the shortning begins to melt at a very low temperture and lubes the tap plus the surface thats being cut. It doesn't take much, just a little dab will do it. Once you've completed your cuts, just rinse the parts with some alcohol Tools & Accessories 2 or soap and water. I hope this helps.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    WoW!

And now off to ebay to look for watchmaker lathes again.
    Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. Mario Lucchini's Avatar Super Moderator
    Name
    Mario
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuces-wild View Post
    Bravo! Mario Bravo! Hope I can add a couple of tips here. Next time try wiping some Crisco shortning on the tap for a nice clean (burr free) thread cut. This also works when cutting threads for a bolt. The great thing about this is that it makes the taps last alot longer and it's cheap. The theory behind this one is that when tap or die starts to cut the threads, the shortning begins to melt at a very low temperture and lubes the tap plus the surface thats being cut. It doesn't take much, just a little dab will do it. Once you've completed your cuts, just rinse the parts with some alcohol Tools & Accessories 2 or soap and water. I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Guido, but what in heavens is Crisco shortning?

Mario

Tools & Accessories 2
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    OOPS! Sorry... I take it they don't carry the Crisco brand shortning where you live. This stuff is used for baking goods. It's like a form of lard. You just might find some in the kitchen.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Yeah, but can you teach me how to yodel?
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. BrassBuilder's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Mike
    Oh lay he hoo ol lay he hi...
    LOL
    Mike
    My website:
    http://www.firesteelhobbies.com/index.html

Feel free to look around. I have all of my projects on the website.
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Hey, with the Crisco, after you get done making some bolts, you can make some cookies.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    What a crowd!!! Modelmakers and builders are among der cwaziest peoples...
    Last edited by Deuces-wild; 09-01-07 at 05:34 PM.
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. harrypri's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Harry
    Sheeeesh!!! Your skills make me want to reconsider model building as my hobby of choice and go open up a shoe store or something...
    "What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic, and a dyslexic? Someone who stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog"–Groucho Marx
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    It makes me want to get into the hobby room and figure out how I can do that without the lathe. Mario is one of my inspirations. If I can't do exactly what he does, I might find a technique I could use for something else. It's not a competition of who can do the best, it's about problem solving and getting around obstacles. Mario's lets me know what is possible. It's up to me to figure out how to do that. Thanks again Mario. Keep the tutorials coming.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. Deuces-wild's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Guido
    Quote Originally Posted by harrypri View Post
    Sheeeesh!!! Your skills make me want to reconsider model building as my hobby of choice and go open up a shoe store or something...
    No Please! ...... Not another Al Bundy
    Be nice or else ~1~**
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. Don Garrett's Avatar Asst. Administrator
    Name
    Don
    Harry, you'd just wind up having to re-design the shoes. There's no getting out of this stuff once you get started.
    Grandpa McGurk.....Steppin' Large and Livin' easy.
    TDRinnovations.com
    QUOTE QUOTE #13