Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Builder Last Online: Apr 2019 Show Printable Version Email this Page
      Model Scale: 1/8 Rating:  Thanks: 1
      Started: 01-30-11 Build Revisions: Never  
      Not Supported

I've been asked by Management to show you the ancient art of styrene How to make anything out of styrene sculpting, so here goes. Today we're building an exhaust system with lots of curves, clamps and of course a muffler. These same techniques can be used to make any part, and in fact were used to make the engine.

First, figure out where you want the pipe to go. In this case, it needs to make a 90 degree bend out of the turbo. Start by cutting a flat sheet to the shape you need. I used .060 styrene How to make anything out of styrene sheet here.

Then cut a bunch of squares that fit the piece you just made. Glue one to the back...

... and trim around it. Don't worry about precision cuts, just get it in the ballpark.

Repeat until the part is as thick as it needs to be.

Rough cut with a Dremel How to make anything out of styrene sanding How to make anything out of styrene drum and X-Acto

Final finish with an emery board or sanding How to make anything out of styrene stick.

Test fit often during sanding How to make anything out of styrene .

An exhaust that falls off the car is no good, so you need clamps. Two layers of .040 makes the back of the clamp...

... and a wrap of 1/32 half-round makes the band. Clothespins are real good for holding parts while the glue sets up.

Now for the nuts & bolts. Roll some 1/8 hex rod under your knife to make a shallow cut all the way around.

I hope you can see the cut. Next, make some cuts from the end to reduce the diameter down to the line you just cut. Once you've gone all the way around, you'll have:

A nut with some "threads" sticking out. I suppose you could run a 00-90 How to make anything out of styrene die down there and really thread them if you wanted to, but since these parts are going to get rusted anyway, a rough cut is good enough.

Assembled clamp.

Now do it again. The elbow fits a 7/32 styrene How to make anything out of styrene tube that goes down along the firewall, but we need to transition again to the rocker panel.

Same as before, build up enough layers to rough out the part, and fire up the Dremel How to make anything out of styrene .

And now you've got this. I decided to make it one of those cheeseball flex pipes, but the camera battery died while I was documenting it. You can see in the final pic how it looks with some .005 strip wrapped around to simulate the flex pipe construction.

You don't want to get a ticket, so we need a muffler. End panels are .060 and the wrap is .010, just go around until it's together. You could sculpt the muffler using layers, too, but making it hollow makes for a lighter part that uses a lot less material.

Add more clamps, a cut-out pipe and a hanger, and now we've got a street-legal exhaust.
      Show Complete First Post

Show Your Support

• This build may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without author's permission.
        Please note: The first post will be displayed at the top of every page.
    JOIN THE SMC ALLIANCE NOW

1. 3.Star's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Michael J.
    Thank you for sharing.

Michael
    QUOTE QUOTE #2

2. Tage's Avatar Yearly Subscriber
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks OBH, I love you tutorials!
    QUOTE QUOTE #3

3. sydeem's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Sydney
    Holy Cow - Self evident ONLY after you see how it is done. I am loving it. More, more!!!
    Syd
    QUOTE QUOTE #4

4. After a little weathering How to make anything out of styrene :

Did I mention you could make anything?

These letters are less than 1/8 inch high, made from .010 so I'm about blind right now.

How to make anything out of styrene
    This don't look like no expressway to me! - Jake Blues
    QUOTE QUOTE #5

5. hot ford coupe's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Jeffrey
    Outstanding !!!!!! This is more appreciated than you can know. Your weathering How to make anything out of styrene is exceptional. Thanks OBH.
    Sometimes a handful of patience is worth more than a truck load of brains. Have the courage to trust your own beliefs. Don't be swayed by those with louder voices. W.S. Maugham :)
    QUOTE QUOTE #6

6. Starliner's Avatar Member
    Name
    Al
    Very good article.... THANKS!

Starliner
    QUOTE QUOTE #7

7. Three days ago this was a pile of styrene How to make anything out of styrene sheets.

The biggest part of styrene How to make anything out of styrene modeling is being able to see in your head what shape you need to cut out.

One thing you can do with metal that you can't do with styrene How to make anything out of styrene is shrink and stretch. While styrene How to make anything out of styrene has a little give to it, something like the roof panel of a Firebird needs a little extra work. Here you can see the pie cuts I made to pull the back corners down and in. The peak at the center of the roof, not much you can do about it except sand How to make anything out of styrene it down. The roof panel is .080 thick, so there's plenty of material there for sanding How to make anything out of styrene .

QUOTE QUOTE #8

8. ScaleMotorcars's Avatar Administrator
    Name
    Daniel
    Thanks, just added it to the SMC Library.

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/...html#post58627
    QUOTE QUOTE #9

9. Nortley's Avatar VIP/Sponsor
    Name
    Buck
    Hi OBH, Watching that plastic stock become a car is inspiring. A question that you may have answered some time ago - what is your filler? It looks like the automotive glazing putty How to make anything out of styrene that I use.
    Scorpio - Builds models the way the prototype should have been built.
    QUOTE QUOTE #10

10. Putty How to make anything out of styrene 's putty How to make anything out of styrene for the most part. This time I had some Bondo glazing putty How to make anything out of styrene left over, so that's what I used. Squadron How to make anything out of styrene Green is similar, solvent-based and easy to work with.

The less putty How to make anything out of styrene you use, the better. If you need more than 1/16, go back and lay some more styrene How to make anything out of styrene on it. It'll be stronger and won't shrink when you paint it. I've found that big putty How to make anything out of styrene blobs will re-liquefy slightly when the paint hits it, and shrinks down leaving cracks.

If you can't fill in the gap with styrene How to make anything out of styrene (like on a metal part) then use a 2-part polyester putty How to make anything out of styrene . USC Icing is my current favorite, but the more I do this the less putty How to make anything out of styrene I use. There's less than a teaspoon in the Firebird.

I guess putty How to make anything out of styrene ain't putty How to make anything out of styrene after all!

QUOTE QUOTE #11

11. thnx for the tutorial stu. i was having a hard time on how to make the turbo exhaust. thnx for the idea and the how-too

also your weathering How to make anything out of styrene skills are insane
    QUOTE QUOTE #12

12. ewaskew's Avatar Active Member
    Name
    Earl
    Very good how to. The car is looking real good.
    Here are some photo's of all scratch built How to make anything out of styrene model's that a friend of mine built.
    The tire's are the only thing that was not scratch built How to make anything out of styrene .
    I'm not tring to over ride your post.

I'm just showing more of what can be done when you set your mind to it.
    The big picture so to speak.

All of these were built the same way your showing everyone on here.

I scratch build How to make anything out of styrene some myself and for any one starting to scratch build How to make anything out of styrene keep in mind it's all ugly untill it's finished.LOL
    My friend Winston Mitchell has passed on but his memory in this hobby will go on to inspire others to scratch build How to make anything out of styrene very nice model's also.
    Earl

Last edited by ewaskew; 10-30-11 at 09:49 AM.
    QUOTE QUOTE #13

13. 3 Dog Nite's Avatar Member
    Name
    Robert
    Awsome work done here. Thanks for showing me how to make datailed parts.
    QUOTE QUOTE #14

14. jlally's Avatar Member
    Name
    John
    There's some serious backyard engineering going on here!!

But, your engine "weathering" is quite amazing.
    QUOTE QUOTE #15